2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
24 members (cmoody31, dh371, Fried Chicken, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, admodios, clothearednincompo, crab89, 7 invisible), 1,242 guests, and 309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#996945 07/22/06 09:11 PM
OP Offline
I am now at my 7 month of playing piano learning from private lessons from a good teacher. I already have her recomendation for a book of songs called " Essential Keyboard Repertoire vol. 1" by Lynn Freeman Olson. I was wondering what book you would recomend for scales/chord and any other exercises involved with piano. Also I would like a good sight reading exercise book that allows me to start off easy and build up to improve my sight reading skills.

This may be a dumb question, but are there exercise techiques and diets that improves your abilitity to play piano and if there is I would also like a book recomendation.

As you could tell I am looking for any book that will help me to become a better piano player and I appreciate the help that you give me.

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I have the Alfred's book of scales. (Never use it, but I have it... laugh ). It's certainly comprehensive.

For sight-reading, I like to use Easy Piano or Beginner Piano collections of pop hits (there's a gazillion of such books out there). It's a lot easier for me to sightread if I know what the song is supposed to sound like, and it's more enjoyable for my family to listen to.

Hanon, of course, is a classic exercise book. I understand there's a free version kicking around the web somewhere. But I would listen to your teacher and ask her what she recommends with respect to exercises.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
I'm not sure about diets, but a healthy diet, not too much caffine etc is always good. Walking is extremely good for the spirit and the body. Good posture is essential, and regular light exercise and stretching will help you to be physically ready to sit down and play.

I'll let Mel make a recommendation about books that address the physical/posture aspects of piano playing.

One book I highly recommend is "The Inner Game of Music." This book deals with the mental aspects, how you approach playing and practice, concentration etc. I think this book is very accessible (in terms of the information being very easy to understand and easy to put into practice.) It's easy to read and applicable to beginners or advanced players. I can't recommend it enough!

If you have a teacher, I would recommend that you ask her for a recommendation for both scale books and sight-reading books. She can make recommendations that fit with the other work you're doing. That's just my opinion though. I'm sure other members will share their favorite books here.

Good luck! smile

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I am looking for any book that will help me to become a better piano player
Definitely check out Fundamentals of Piano Practice by C.C. Chang. Not the easiest read, but it is free and the content is golden! thumb

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Re Sight-reading, I worked through this book and found it to be helpful:

Super Sight-Reading Secrets by Howard Richman.

(I should probably work through it again.) Also, this is another good one:

Alfred's Basic Adult Sight Reading Book.

I have level one, I don't know if there's another level or not. I got this book probably 5 years ago, and worked through half of it. I think I'll go through and re-do it from the beginning. Pulling out the book to tell you the title reminded me that I have it, and should use it again. Thanks! smile

The Alfred book is probably easier to use because it has exercises and is very thorough, so if you're just going to do one, I'd recommend this one.

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Here is a link to a thread about books:

http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/32/2305.html#000004

Here is a place to get free downloadable sheet music:

http://www.sheetmusicarchive.net/

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
always, The Piano Handbook:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0879307277/ref=pd_kar_gw_1/104-2328776-0974307?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=283155

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission