2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
26 members (clothearednincompo, crab89, JohnCW, Georg Z., David B, Fried Chicken, 9 invisible), 1,173 guests, and 284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#996592 06/28/04 09:22 AM
OP Offline
All,

I'm restarting my lessons this week and was asked by my new teacher if I wanted 1/2 hour or 1 hour. I always had 1/2 hour lessons in the past, but he said most adults he teaches take 1 hour lessons.

So, how long is your lesson?

"Applaud friends, the comedy is over." --Ludwig van Beethoven on his deathbed.
August Förster 190 Artcase
Usually 45 minutes to an hour.

S
S
Ditto here.

A
A
30 minutes once a week

S
S
An hour. If no one is after me or before me
usually talk or get her to play.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
One hour once a week or so, depending on our schedules. Pretty regularly during the school year and lighter, say every two weeks in summer.

Devils are you near W. Milford?

BeeLady

Life is like a roll of toilet paper...the closer you get to the end, the faster it goes!
One hour per week too.

Sometimes when I didn't get enough time to practice during the week, I will call up to postpone the lesson to the following week. :p

I am taking a one hour lesson each week.

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Usually 45 minutes, but during the summer I will typically "hang out" for about 1 hour.
Devils: I would probably start with 30 minutes and see what happens. If you find that you guys need more time then add it to the schedule.
Jon

"In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity." Albert Einstein
Charles Walter W190 Ebony
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
An hour a week.

There are no shortcuts to any place worth going. - Beverly Sills
T
T
I take from two different teachers...

1 hour a week on Mondays with one, and one hour a week on Tuesdays with the other.

OP Offline
tl91pink,

You have 2 different teachers? How do you find time to practice for both?

Do they know that you have another teacher?

"Applaud friends, the comedy is over." --Ludwig van Beethoven on his deathbed.
August Förster 190 Artcase
T
T
Neither of them know that I take from the other. I work on different things with each. I learn different things from each.

I am able to keep up with all of my music for both. If I couldn't keep up, I wouldn't do it.

I was only taking from one for an hour a week at first and I needed and wanted more and another aspect that wasn't being covered as much as I wanted and needed at my first lesson, but I did need all of that lesson for the things I was learning there.

So, I made this decision, and it is going great. Now, all aspects are covered regularly. One lesson for one hour wasn't cutting it for me. It wasn't covering everything, but I didn't want to take another hour with the same teacher. I wanted another aspect, additional ideas.

M
MLT Offline
M
I take a 45 minute lesson every other week. Works out good for me.

Kirk

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
tl91pink,

I have been curious about others who have two teachers. I have one private teacher, and one who teaches the adult group piano classes at the college. There's no problem there except when I bring up to my private teacher things I'm learning at the college which she hasn't taught in years, so in a way, I think I'm making her work harder for her money by bringing up theory she doesn't remember.

My college class will end soon; I already know that my private teacher is not right for me anymore so have interviewed a few new ones and really like two of them so I'm having a hard time choosing. I believe both have a lot to offer in their own way and I can only benefit - but can I afford it? That's the question! I tried three teachers at once for a month when I first started lessons again last year because I couldn't decide. Maybe I should try both of these new ones for a month...........I'd feel guilty if I didn't let them know about each other.

Do you think you'll ever let your teachers know about each other? Do they ever give you conflicting fingerings or advice, and if so, how do you deal with it?

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I take a weekly 45-minute lesson. Husband takes a 45-minute lesson every other week. (He's busier!)

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
45 minutes+ once a week.

Cathy

T
T
sleepingcats,

I don't plan to ever tell either of my teachers about the other, and I hope they don't find out so I'm not put in an awkward position and don't have any explaining to do.

The truth is, when I first decided that I wanted to take from an additional teacher, I told my teacher and gave my reasons. She was really upset and gave me all the reasons why I shouldn't do it, which I did not feel that any of them applied to me and my plans. She said you should have one teacher and stick with them, and that if I wanted to take from someone else, that I should just take from that other person and not from two. She also talked about how much I had learned and the progress I had had under her teaching.

When I tried to get another new teacher, I told her that I was already taking from someone. She called my first teacher and talked to her about it, and my original teacher tried to talk her out of it. The second teacher didn't take me on as a student because of "ethical" reasons so as not to cause problems in the "business."

So, I tried doing upfront, and it didn't work.

I take from another teacher now and my original teacher doesn't know. I don't tell my new additional teacher, because I don't want her to say the same thing or refuse to take me as a student, or tell my other teacher. I don't want my first teacher to cancel me as a student. I do want and need to take from her, I just need additional teaching from someone else too.

As far as them conflicting, I work on different things with each of them so that this doesn't happen. That's one of the reasons my first teacher gave me for not having two teachers, because she said they would probably have different methods, conflicting advice, etc. But I work on different things, different songs, different playing styles with each of them. She also was concerned that I would say, "Well, my other teacher said this..." and she didn't want that. I can understand why not. I obviously don't do that since I don't tell them of the other.

K
K
Officially I pay for a 30 minute lesson every week but we always go to about 45-50 minutes every week...by the time we go over all my songs and she shows me stuff, we go way over.

I have had to stop lessons for the next month or so due to my schedule, can't wait to start them back!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Same here, officially, I pay for 30 minutes but usually it's 45 minutes, occasionally 60 if we end up talking a lot. I used to feel guilty that it went over 30 minutes but I decided it wasn't up to me to make sure we were done in 30. Sometimes we only take 30 minutes so I guess it all evens out.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission