2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
62 members (Barly, bobrunyan, brennbaer, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 8 invisible), 1,776 guests, and 307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I returned the EXILIM and bought a SANYO XACTI -- which at least is the most expensive camcorder that only requires SD cards. It is also made of a less slippery kind of metal, is shaped like a gun for better grip, has a flip-out screen and has better included accessories, including a real lens cover and a soft carrying case and neckstrap.

It claims to have stereo recording and 16-bit sound. The battery is charging now so we'll see how IT does.

These trips to Radio Shack, Circuit City, and Wal-Mart have been a real education for me and I will start a new thread comparing this to piano shopping.

[edit] Initial first impressions on a partially charged battery are good. Still a little background noise but not as staticky as the Casio. MUCH easier to handle. Better written owner's manual, more features, easy interface. Con: crappy built-in speaker but what they hey. Also, the stereo recording makes a difference.

Remember, this is a camera that uses SD cards and which I can put in my pocket. So I am trying to find the best of the simple.

Full-Time Music/Entrepreneurship Major: (Why not compose music AND businesses?)
Former Piano Industry Professional
Steinway M
Roland Atelier AT90R
All Posts are Snarky Unless Otherwise Noted
I would like to record my playing and purchased a Shure 8900 mic, Garageband cables, and Garageband software, for use on my Mac G4 with OX 10.4.11 After several months of off and on attempts, I have not been able to get them to work. Undoubtedly, I haven't gotten everything hooked up properly and/or don't understand how Garageband works. I've given up and am looking for a simpler alternative. After reading this post, I am considering purchasing a Zoom H2 or H4. I compared the two on the Zoom website, but was unable to tell much difference. Can someone please tell me how to use the equipment I already have, or would it just be simpler to buy the Zoom? I just want to be able to record and playback for my own use.

Another Zoom H2 question...I just read in a review that there are no speakers in the H2. How do you play back what you have recorded? I assume you must use a cable to connect to your computer, but what software do you use to play it back? Many thanks, as you can tell, I'm new to the recording world and am confused

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
On GarageBand you have to make sure that, in order to record the audio track that you have a "new" part in the main pane with all your other tracks.

If you just want to record yourself, you only need a one-track song, but you have to have it all set up from the main recording window.

Full-Time Music/Entrepreneurship Major: (Why not compose music AND businesses?)
Former Piano Industry Professional
Steinway M
Roland Atelier AT90R
All Posts are Snarky Unless Otherwise Noted

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Welcome to the forum, Noah's Piano Girl! The Zooms have headphone jacks, so you can listen to it via headphones. You can also playback everything via your computer, through Windows Media or whatever audio player you use. If you go the Zoom route, you'll probably want to download Audacity, and you can also listen to your pieces through audacity.

L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Hunk,

I've never given serious thought to using external condenser mics in my Zoom H4 until reading your comments in this thread. After reading more about them I'm considering buying a couple to see if I can improve on the separation of bass & treble and just make an overall improvement in recording quality. My big question is, Will I find the process of proper placement frustrating?

Thanks in advance for being your kind, caring, helpful self when addressing my concern. help

Lisztener

Lisztener, if you go the first page of that huge Zoom mega-thread, you'll see two recordings by ragtime88, one using the Zoom's internal mics and one using a set of high quality external mics. To my ears the recording with the external mics sounds better. But the difference has yet to be big enough to make me invest the time and money of trying it out myself.

Answer to your question: Probably, but if you figure it out, you'll have better recordings.

B
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B
Originally posted by Lisztener:

I've never given serious thought to using external condenser mics in my Zoom H4 until reading your comments in this thread. After reading more about them I'm considering buying a couple to see if I can improve on the separation of bass & treble and just make an overall improvement in recording quality. My big question is, Will I find the process of proper placement frustrating?
Lisztener
I'll take the liberty of responding for S-H (although he might want to chime in as well). A pair of mics in an x-y configuration should give you the separation you want and should also be an improvement in recording quality. Fortunately, you don't need to spend a pile of money on mega-expensive mics (although it certainly wouldn't do any harm to do so), a pair of Rode NT-5's would do nicely.

Have a look at the link to the Shure web site that I posted earlier for some tips on mic placement. All you'll need are microphones, a boom stand and some XLR cables (more than likely 1/4" on one end, 5 pin on the other since that's what the mics will have).

Hope this helps.

Greg
L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Monica,

I'll go to the thread and listen to the samples. It's good to know that you aren't impressed enough with externals to invest in them. I know you've had bad experiences with an external before getting the Zoom. I must say you have the placement issue pretty darned right given the beautiful range of sound you now coax from your piano. Talent, however, is one of the major factors with your recordings. thumb

Your enthusiasm for the Zoom H4 led me to buy one and I've never regretted it.

Thanks for your reply,

Lisztener

L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Greg,

I responded to S-H without first reading through the thread to see your in depth postings on the external mic issue...quite informative, thank you! shocked

I briefly followed the link to the Shure web site, but haven't read through it, yet. Does the Shure site explain about the cables? I haven't read the Zoom manual about cables, yet I assume the 1/4" XLR end of the cables are the type connectors required by the Zoom.

Thank you for jumping in to help,

Lisztener

Thanks for the help on Garageband and Zoom H2. I finally got everything my existing equipment to work, and just recorded my first piece. BTW, I just discovered Pianoworld.com when reading Grand Obsession and I think it's terrific. I have already passed on the website address to two other friends.

Okay, Noah's P.G., now that you've admitted you have the recording, there's NO excuse not to submit it for the recital! thumb

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Lisztener:

I've got to type quick as we are getting dumped on with a TON of snow again up here in the mountains of northern Arizona and I constantly lose my satelite internet connection,

Anyway, *technically*, you will be able to obtain a much broader frequency response from using a pair of good quality external mics with your zoom. As Monica has said, you may not notice this difference at the level of recording that we are all doing.

My suggestion would be to pay very close attention to the acoustics in your piano room as well as experiment with multiple mic placement locations. Even the slightest change in mic positions can have a dramatic effect on your recordings; especially when it comes to separating bass from the higher frequencies.

I have yet to get a good quality acoustic recording but I have certainly learned what NOT to do!.

A tip that someone gave me was to position the mics (XY configuration) about 8 inches forward of the hammers (on a grand piano) and move them either more towards the bass strings or treble strings dependant on the recordings outcome.

My M&H "BB" has VERY powerful bass so I get much better recordings by moving the mic stand more towards the treble side. Of course, every piano will be different so trial and error is the only way.

Also, because of my powerful bass, I try and hit the lower notes a little softer as to not have an overwhelming boomy bass.

Again, cheap equipment properly set up in a room with good acoustics will ALWAYS sound better than using the best equipment with poor room acoustics. I can't stress this enough!.

p.s, I hope my spelling and grammar wuz acceptable! wink

G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
OFF TOPIC...

Hey Hunk, me too on the snow. We have had 12 inches since last night on top of 8-10 inches of old.

I have run out of places to put it...

Still snowing as we speak. Out to shovel the drive for the third time in 24 hours...

"There is nothing remarkable about it. All one has to do is hit the right keys at the right time and the instrument plays itself." Johann Sebastian Bach/Gyro
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Yes gmm1. We are getting SO much snow and the snow banks next to where I have plowed are almost 4 feet high!.

Although we are in Arizona, we are located at nearly 8k feet elev and get about 120 inches of snow every season.

If I'm not active on the forum for a while, it's not that I'm hiding from the grammar police, it's because I'm up to my sweet rump in snow! eek (plus out satelite connection does'nt work!).

It does have its advantages however as Mrs Hunky gets frisky when we get snowed in!! laugh

B
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B

I briefly followed the link to the Shure web site, but haven't read through it, yet. Does the Shure site explain about the cables? I haven't read the Zoom manual about cables, yet I assume the 1/4" XLR end of the cables are the type connectors required by the Zoom.
Lisztener
The Shure site doesn't discuss the cables (at least I didn't see it) but yes, the Zoom end of the connection is 1/4" XLR. I think most (all?) decent microphones probably take a 5 pin XLR. Cables with the different connectors are readily available.

If you're thinking of going in the direction of separate mics (I am too) I'd suggest buying mics first then cables and stands. that way you can see what kind of cables are required. Also, some mics come with stand mounts, some don't. Some stands have mic mounts, some don't. It's easier to buy the more expensive parts first then buy the other parts to match.

On a (somewhat) related topic. I did a recording yesterday with the zoom plugged in to the AC. (I usually use the battery) and noticed a constant SSSSS when playing it back through good headphones (AKG 701's). Not super loud but audible, even to my aging ears. Anybody else noticed this?

Greg
L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Thanks, Greg. Good idea on buying the mics first, then getting the needed accessories.

I've been using my Zoom plugged into the AC cord. I haven't noticed any noise but I really haven't been listening for it. I'll try it with batteries to listen for differences.

Frankly, the piece I'm now trying to get recorded for the recital I learned on the MP8 and doesn't sound right to me on the acoustic. Yuri warned me about this effect before buying the MP8. There are pieces that I've learned on the acoustic that I can't abide on the MP8, so it seems to work both ways. The positive is that the MP8 sounds so good even with the built-in pianos to choose from. Ideally, I prefer my acoustic because of the cross-harmonics and all the other aspects of acoustic pianos that cannot be replicated with a digital piano.

The reason I'm interested in external mics is that my MP8 seems to record better quality than the Zoom perhaps because of the direct link to my computer. I did read on the Zoom user forum about folks who have connected external mics and are quite pleased with the noticeable difference in quality over the internal mics. I'll let you know what I decide to do. If you don't mind, plese let me know if you decide to get externals and which ones. A PM is fine should you prefer.

Thanks, again, for sharing and comparing notes on recording and other topics.

Lisztener

L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Originally posted by mr_super-hunky:
Lisztener:

I've got to type quick as we are getting dumped on with a TON of snow again up here in the mountains of northern Arizona and I constantly lose my satelite internet connection,

Anyway, *technically*, you will be able to obtain a much broader frequency response from using a pair of good quality external mics with your zoom. As Monica has said, you may not notice this difference at the level of recording that we are all doing.

My suggestion would be to pay very close attention to the acoustics in your piano room as well as experiment with multiple mic placement locations. Even the slightest change in mic positions can have a dramatic effect on your recordings; especially when it comes to separating bass from the higher frequencies.

I have yet to get a good quality acoustic recording but I have certainly learned what NOT to do!.

A tip that someone gave me was to position the mics (XY configuration) about 8 inches forward of the hammers (on a grand piano) and move them either more towards the bass strings or treble strings dependant on the recordings outcome.

My M&H "BB" has VERY powerful bass so I get much better recordings by moving the mic stand more towards the treble side. Of course, every piano will be different so trial and error is the only way.

Also, because of my powerful bass, I try and hit the lower notes a little softer as to not have an overwhelming boomy bass.

Again, cheap equipment properly set up in a room with good acoustics will ALWAYS sound better than using the best equipment with poor room acoustics. I can't stress this enough!.

p.s, I hope my spelling and grammar wuz acceptable! wink
Thanks, Hunk for taking the time to post this information. I'll take all that you have posted about external mics into consideration before taking the monetary leap. I'm quite interested in the broader frequency response afforded by the external condenser mics.

Best of luck fighting the snowfall...I think...not sure. confused That frisky remark would make a normal man wish for more snow. But then again, no one has ever acused you of being normal. Teasing you know. :p

B
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B

I've been using my Zoom plugged into the AC cord. I haven't noticed any noise but I really haven't been listening for it. I'll try it with batteries to listen for differences.

Lisztener
Thanks. My guess is that it's not the zoom but rather some external source, for example, the outlet I have the zoom plugged into has a lamp with fluorescent bulbs in it, there's a wireless access point within 5 feet, etc. I'm guessing one of these is the culprit and will try a recording somewhere else in the house and see if I get the same result.

As I said, I'd never noticed it before but I always used batteries. If it turns out it is the zoom I can always go back, they last a pretty long while.

Greg
Here's another thumbs-up for the Zoom H2! I've found the simplest placement with my grand is to just set it on the floor, right behind the lyre.

Originally posted by piano_deb:
By the way, it's Deborah or Deb, please, never Debbie. Thanks!
Mwife is a Deborah too. It's ok for close family to call her Debbie, but no-one else. "Debra" is right out.

- Benton Jackson. Permanent piano novice.
Kawai RX-2 #2555861 in Satin Walnut
Kawai ES6
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission