2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
64 members (36251, Colin Miles, anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, busa, ChickenBrother, 9 invisible), 2,076 guests, and 319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#994679 10/13/05 02:37 PM
musdan Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
I wonder if this has happened to anyone - I've been working on learning two pieces for a few weeks now one is Fur Elise the other is Chopin's Waltz in a minor - they've both been coming along ok.

Today during my practice session, for some reason nothing worked, it seemed as if I'd never seen the music before and I ended up walking away from it - I guess it's a case of "overdoing" - wonder if I should take a day away from it and go back to it on Saturday.

Thanks and I look forward to reading your posts. smile confused

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Happens to me all the time. Sometimes I'll just put those pieces away and practice some scales or go over old memorized ones just to remind myself that I can play something!!!
And sometimes I'll take a day off.....like today after my discouraging lesson.....

It's the journey not the destination..
[Linked Image]

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I have good days and bad days, but they don't seem to be related to how much I've practiced. As a working mom with two youngish kids, I just don't have enough time to overpractice, as much as I might like to!

But I think Sandy's suggestion of taking some time off, or playing something else for a day or two, is an excellent one. I know that I usually have more than just two pieces I'm working on. I probably don't progress as fast on any one piece as I could otherwise, but I like the variety.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
it happens to everyone, i guess. if nothing seems working at the practice, then it's time to take a break because it would be useless to keep going or quite possibly you're going in a wrong way. that's what i do: walking away and coming back later when i am in the mood...

tk Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Yup. I agree with the others. You might want to give yourself a bit of a break from those pieces. It amazes me how much that can help sometimes (with plateaus, too).

musdan Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Thanks for all your good advice and it helps to have company - guess I'll take the day off and come back to it tomorrow.

TK - plateaus - this is something that I'd never given any thought. If I have reached a plateau, wouldn't that be great - it would show that I'm might finally be getting somewhere, I think.

smile

Musdan: Don't worry about it. Trust me...this happens to everybody. We all have our good days and our bad days.

I recently had been practicing all week for about an hour just about every day (for me this is more than usual) and by the time I got to my piano lesson on Saturday I was STILL making silly mistakes (or so I thought in my mind). I was surprised at how much BETTER I play at home than at my practice lessons. I felt so stupid because at some parts of the piece it was as if I hadn't seen the piece before! I like...blanked out! ughgh! I hate when that happens.

But, to my surprise my teacher said that he could tell that I had been practicing more. smile So, who knows?? Maybe we're a little TOO hard on ourselves sometimes?

Just know that this type of stuff happens to everyone. wink

Kawai Studio Upright, Ebony finish
musdan Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Hi,

Funny that you wrote "Maybe we're a little TOO hard on ourselves sometimes."

My teacher said the same thing too me during a lesson, so, my guess is that you are so right. Thanks for your support and advice. smile

Originally posted by musdan:
Hi,

Funny that you wrote "Maybe we're a little TOO hard on ourselves sometimes."

My teacher said the same thing too me during a lesson, so, my guess is that you are so right. Thanks for your support and advice. smile
You're welcome! wink

Kawai Studio Upright, Ebony finish
J
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
J
The other thing that happens is you practice something so much you don't hear the music anymore. Eventually, the music gets stale like old crackers, and you end up frustrated. The best thing, as others have said, is to put away the music for a bit and try something else.

I have many pieces I have worked on (I mean destroyed) over the years. I go back and work on them again, and eventually finish them up.

The other thing too is to just enjoy the music you have finished off. Remember music is to be enjoyed even by those who are studying. You need to enjoy the fruits of your labor once in a while.

John

Current works in progress:

Beethoven Sonata Op. 10 No. 2 in F, Haydn Sonata Hoboken XVI:41, Bach French Suite No. 5 in G BWV 816

Current instruments: Schimmel-Vogel 177T grand, Roland LX-17 digital, and John Lyon unfretted Saxon clavichord.
musdan Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
John,

You "hit the nail on the head" there are times I don't hear the music and that's when I say to myself "enough already" and go to to something else or take a short break.

It's taken some time, but every once in a while I like to give myself a pat on the back and remember where I was when I first sat down at the piano 4 1/2-5 years ago and what I have accomplished so far -warts and all. smile

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission