2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (benkeys, 1200s, aphexdisklavier, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, 10 invisible), 1,847 guests, and 273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Member # 18592

Member Rated:
posted 11-02-2008 03:03 PM
Chopin was in Vegas for some well-deserved R and R - gambling, heavy drinking and girls, girls girls! - that's what the TB doctor ordered! George and Jane were off visiting the folks in London and Frederick arranged for the dog sitter to come in and check on the poodles. He also made arrangements for two of his beloved Erards - well, actually two of his LEAST beloved Erards - to be shipped to him in order to be converted - one into a water bed, the other into a piano-shaped hot tub. And yet the composer - despite the nightlife, gaming tables and showgirls - was plunged into the deepest ennui!

"Helas! While I am the toast of toute Paris my soul is not at rest! My piano students - the aristocratic ones - all they care about is caviar, champagne and their wretched tableaux vivantes! The prodigies who come to visit me play my music as if it were the dry exercises of Czerny. And the concert pianists care only about sterile virtuosic display! Nobody understands me OR my music!"

It was while plunged in these melancoly ruminations that the Erards were delivered. The workmen maneuvered the heavy boxes into the composer's room, Chopin tipped them, and threw himself on the swooning sofa. While languishing there suddenly he heard a soft tapping coming from the inside of the box. Chopin swept up one of the crowbars left behind by the workmen and wrenched the wooden box open. To his astonishment out stepped the nonagenarian Princessa di Villa d'Este, hungry, tired, but none the worse for wear!

"To what do I owe this charming but nevertheless completely unexpected visit!"

"Oh Master, a thousand pardons for disturbing your creative solitude, but I simply had to meet with you privately. All my life it has been my dream to play the piano, but after my childhood at the convent, and my marriage to the Prince I have been barred from fulfilling my dream. The Prince forbids all amusements beyond the simple tambourine - that musical instument of his glorious forebears! I have taken the liberty of sealing myself in this precious shipment in order to confer with you privately and to realize my dream - even if it is for only a few all-to-brief hours!"

The composer's romantic soul was deeply moved by this outburst of artistic yearning. Clearing the rest of the packaging from the Erard he set up a stool for the Princessa and dropped a copy of his newly-printed Marzukas Op 6 onto the music rest. At once the Princessa began to play, and while it was executed in a manner less than 'perfect' it awakened a sudden realization in the heart of the musical genius and tears of joys streamed from his radiant countenance!

"Mon Dieu - it is THIS which has been missing from the interpretation of my Mazurkas! Although executed in a manner flawed by dropped notes, uncertain phrasing, uneven tonality and incorrect notes - it is through the combination of emotional maturity and a naive insouciance that the true Spirit of Poland and it's people - with their yearnings for freedom and their deep spiritual sadness - it expressed! And so it seems that an adult who is also a beginner - THIS is the pianist who can truly play these works as they were meant to be played!"

Immediately Chopin took up his quill and re-edited the printed page to reflect the humble but deeply stiffing performance which had so moved him. It is not well known, but nevertheless true, that subsequent editors have ignored these markings and have presented the Mazurkas in their 'cleaned up' version - leaving the correct interpretation to be obscured by the dust of time - UNTIL NOW! when the Adult Beginner's Forum prepares itself to reveal that composer's true intentions!

We have the participants of the Piano World Adult Beginner's Forum to thank for restoring this body of work to it's original lustre.

--------------------

"There are so many mornings that have not yet dawned." -- Rg Veda
-Frycek Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
Mon ami, you outdid yourself! thumb

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Bump--I'm starting to really crank on it. Do we have an idea when submissions will begin? I'm cutting it pretty close!

If I had ever learnt, I should have been a great proficient.
[Linked Image]
-Frycek Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
We're working on it. MaryRose our artist has been having computer difficulties but I think they're straightened out. We should be sending out a request for submissions very soon.

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Didn't mean to rush you--just trying to figure out if it is time to panic yet. smile

[Linked Image]
-Frycek Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by rustyfingers:
Didn't mean to rush you--just trying to figure out if it is time to panic yet. smile
Well, you have until 2/29 if you're make the 1st one. If not it can go in the 2nd.

[Linked Image]
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
All Mazurkathon participants: please be sure that your Mazurkas are as polished as possible this week! (Is that a pun? Polished - geddit?) Once you have a recording that you are satisfied with, then please upload it to a server such as Boxnet (or your own webspace if you have it - anything really). In a couple of days we will be asking you to send the url of your recording for us to make up the web page for next weekend. Chopin's birthday is one week from today.

And remember - enthusiasm is more important than perfection.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
MaryRose

I have a Mazurka (op 41 Eminor) for you, it's uploaded. I need my time to concentrate on other things, so I'm afraid it's more enthusiastic than perfect and more Norwegian than
Polish(ed), but where to send it ?

Ragnhild

Trying to play the piano:
http://www.box.net/public/dbr23ll03e
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Ragnhild, please can you send it backchannel to me? I think that's the best way. I will collate them all and put them on a website in time for the Big Day.

Looking forward to hearing all your mazurkas!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hi Mary Rose!

Another "enthusiastic" performance waiting here too.

Reminds me of a code word my parents had for my ambitious projects which were well-intentioned but suffered in execution: "charming"

Should I PM you the link? Or wait for a more formal announcement?

-rf

[Linked Image]
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Dear Rusty, and anyone else who might be reading this, please pm me your links to your mazurkas any time you can this week. So far I only have Ragnhild's and I have soooo enjoyed listening to it that I played it again and again for nearly an hour.

-Frycek Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
bump

[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Ye Gods! October 17 is coming right up - is this still on?

S
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
S
Originally posted by Schubertian:
Ye Gods! October 17 is coming right up - is this still on?
Schubertian, where have you been? wink

The Mazurka Marathon was last spring on the anniversary of Chopin's birth; a recital of Etudes is scheduled for October:

http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?/topic/32/5173.html

Steven

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Take a look at the first post of this thread -

Frycek - under the urging of some insane inner demon - has scheduled THREE marathons during which all the mazurkas are to be presented - the second and third are Oct 17 2008 and March 1 2009 -

S
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
S
Dang, I did not know that.

Steven

C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
Mary-Rose and I were just discussing the possibility of moving the second Mazurkathon to March 1, '09 (from Oct. 17, '08) due to the fact that the Etude recital is already scheduled for Oct 17. Having the 2 Chopin recitals on the same day may be a bit much, and we were a little concerned that the Mazurkas would be overshadowed by the Etudes.

She thought it best to wait until others started asking, before putting the question out to the other participants. Mary-Rose: care to chime in? What do the rest of you think? Oct 17 or March 1?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
my 2 cents: I think it would be a great idea to move it to March 1 for exactly the reason you state

whew!

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Yea... I vote for March since I have not even looked at the other Mazurka I'm supposed to play... laugh

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
OK with me, as the last Mazurkathon was rather sparsely attended, possibly because of it's temporal proximity to the ABF recital.

[Linked Image]
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission