2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
43 members (AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, Carey, danno858, 9 invisible), 1,245 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 18 of 190 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 189 190
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hi Pianoluvr, I play Sonatina in G first and Second movement everyday. It's part of my repertoir.

Take it slow of course it's not a difficult piece although it looks that way.

Are you having issues with any particular area?

I'm at work but trying to picture it in my mind.

For the second measure make sure you do the 2 note phrasing correctly. Hit the first note full and the second note hit it lightly and short almost like a reverse stacatto to give it the 2 note phrase sound.

Measure 6 and 7 were the toughies for me and sometimes I still mess them up but I figured out that when I do my right hand correctly my left hand will do it correctly as well. Just pay attention to those measures, the way I got past my blunder is I looked at my right hand.

There's a part that you do an embelishment with the f sharp and e and after that embellishment you'll see where those fingers just go down and up in succession. If you can focus on that you have half the battle.

The left hand accompaniment to that is finger 5 then 2, 4 then finger 3. Those 2 measures were getting to me, sometimes I'd do it perfect and sometimes I wouldn't.

That's when I did the right hand alone and realized it was just straight up and down, then I did the left hand repetitively to get the 5,2,4 etc finger engraved.

Once I realized that if I got the right hand correct the left hand would follow correctly too (Unconciously I guess) I didn't have anymore misses.

Wait till you get to the second movement, I like that one a lot.

If you have any particular measure in mind let me know and I'll help you out with it.

Fuzzy Wuzzy was a bear, Fuzzy Wuzzy had no hair.>>> Herman Munster
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I hated pomp but I like Aloha, the arpeggiated chords are great practice and sound lovely in music. Just make sure you roll your wrist slightly and play the arpeggiated chords very lightly. Once my teacher told me to go light on the chords it took on a whole different sound.

M
Mark... Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
M
Originally posted by IamElise:
Thanks all for the encouraging words.
I'm loving night song and space shuttle - NOT looking forward to Farewell nor Pomp - they look hard smile .
Give Pomp time. It's a little tricky. I'm just now getting it fairly clean and its been a while.

Thanks Oxfords Gal! That's been really vaulable as I've been working on the piece (so excited-I've just begun the second movement!)

On a different note, our last lesson introduced the Space Shuttle song. And usually, I'm not the biggest fan of that kind of music but this piece is just plain fun to play! smile I enjoy it a lot.

Do or do not, there is no try.

CURRENT PIECES
Beethoven Sonata Op.49 No.2
Fur Elise
Chopin Waltz Op.69 No.2
Chopin Nocturne Op.9 No.2
Schumann Op.15 No.1 (About Strange Lands and People)
Schumann Op.15 No.7 (Traumerei)
I am currently working on "Loch Lomond" and rather enjoying it!

K
K
Can anybody give me some tips on proper technique for a 16th note arpeggio, such as in Musetta's Waltz? Should I roll my wrist, play with just my fingers, ...

Thanks in advance.

I
I
ok...I give up.
Can someone please post Pomp.. I am not getting it.

Tenk you.

Im loving Swinging smile

Therese

Good, better, best; never let it rest, 'till your good be better and your better - Best!
http://www.box.net/shared/d8jamv2rk8
performed by Z32

Mark has placed the link to this and others in the first post of the thread.

I
I
Thanks so much.

..I did not know that.
Thanks.

Therese

Good, better, best; never let it rest, 'till your good be better and your better - Best!
D
D
hi

i'm new here just wanted to introduce myself. I just started the hokey pokey. I took lessons for a few months in high school about 8 years ago so I went through my old "later beginner" alfred's book and found some stuff on the internet to learn and then ordered book 2. I'm glad it had a "review" at the beginning cause them sure wuz a lot of notes! So now that I'm about half way through I'm still wondering if I should get the lvl 1 book to pick up anything I missed. I'm teaching myself at the moment and I still feel like sometimes i'm a little sloppy or don't do dynamics enough, or keep the tempo smile don't know if this is something book 1 will help with or if it's just time to get a teacher. Anyway, so far brahm's lullabye and light and blue have been my favorites. smile

M
Mark... Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
M
Originally posted by dumdumsareyum:
hi

i'm new here just wanted to introduce myself. I just started the hokey pokey. I took lessons for a few months in high school about 8 years ago so I went through my old "later beginner" alfred's book and found some stuff on the internet to learn and then ordered book 2. I'm glad it had a "review" at the beginning cause them sure wuz a lot of notes! So now that I'm about half way through I'm still wondering if I should get the lvl 1 book to pick up anything I missed. I'm teaching myself at the moment and I still feel like sometimes i'm a little sloppy or don't do dynamics enough, or keep the tempo smile don't know if this is something book 1 will help with or if it's just time to get a teacher. Anyway, so far brahm's lullabye and light and blue have been my favorites. smile
I'm not sure how much book 1 will help in dynamics, but it might help in the basic theory area. If your playing Light and Blue and brahm lullabye then book 1 is probaby below your level. On a bright note book 1 is one around $10.

Keep us posted.

PS: And getting teacher is a great idea...

I
I
My teacher just started me on Suzuki 3 and A. Masterworks 3. I thought she would do that when we got done with this book - lvl 2.

Is anyone else using other supplements in addition to Alfred's level 2 book?

(Please forgive me if I should have started a new thread smile

Therese

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
My teacher has me on helen Curtis book 3. It's an old method that was used in the 40's and 50's. It's all classical and the difference is the pieces are not arranged. they are all original.

we still do alfreds and when I do alfreds it seems sooo easy compared to what she gives me out of helen curtis.

this is a piece from book 2 helen curtis

http://www.box.net/shared/qt6ayhd7l3

this is an example from book 3

http://www.box.net/shared/bqr6bp3ps6
that's not too bad, it gets really ugly.

this is the reason i hardly post. It's quite a challenge

In addition she's giving me a 3 piece sonatina by Frank Lynes which is really fun. It's kind of like a finger independence work out and I quote

"due to the challenging rhythm and some quick left-hand jumps. The first three have three movements, and the fourth has two. One of my favorites is No. 2, III Rondo, because of its jaunty feel, a result of the use of dotted rhythm.

Some challenges presented by these Sonatinas are independence of hands, balance of melody and accompaniment, fingering (which needs careful attention) and tonal control for shaping dynamics."

these sonatinas are way fun. lots of fast finger fun fun stuff.

I also do czerny exericises which are fun and are great workouts with melody as opposed to the redundant hanons (sorry if I offend anyone it's not my intention).

I
I
OG! no wonder you are doing so great! I will ask my teach. if she ever used HelenC. She's never mentioned it. Im loving the suzuki and Alfred's MW.

I couldnt access the box net thingy. when I click on the link a sign in page popped up asking me to sign in.

That's why Im hardly posting these days too. I could sit and read for hours, so I really have to restrain myself smile
She started me on Rondo alla Turca after I had asked her what the name of that tune was (she did not see the clip)then Nancy guessed it
http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?/topic/32/5234.html
the first and second pages were a breeze, its getting challenging at the end of the third page.
Then there is the Moonlight ......
so Im having kittens over here...

I'll check back tomorrow to see if you fixed the page.
Cheers.

Therese

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
sorry therese, I fixed them.

ha ha ha on the kittens, I'm having cows.

see if she'll let you do Frank Lynes those are really fun.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m2493/is_2_53/ai_108694425

Hey everyone! Just updating. I've started Pomp., which is pretty fun to do, but not too bad.

Do you like Suzuki 3, Iamelise? I've one more song to finish in Suzuki 2 and I'm wondering if I want to go on to 3 or not. If you're looking for a cool supp. book, check this out:

http://www.sheetmusicplus.com/store...amp;cm_re=289.1.4-_-Results+Item-_-Title

It's Alfred's Sonatina Album. I've recently gotten it and am enjoying it a lot. It has a good selection of Sonatinas, Beehtoven's "Easy Sonatas", and more.

Do or do not, there is no try.

CURRENT PIECES
Beethoven Sonata Op.49 No.2
Fur Elise
Chopin Waltz Op.69 No.2
Chopin Nocturne Op.9 No.2
Schumann Op.15 No.1 (About Strange Lands and People)
Schumann Op.15 No.7 (Traumerei)
I
I
Oooh my goodness OG! yikes - I could see it getting really ugly - look at those leaping 4 lines up off the treble already - LOL! dear me.... smile

PL, I do love the S3 it is really getting ugly smile makes me leap up off the bench sometimes smile
Do get it!

Therese

M
Mark... Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
M
As I come to a close to book two, I have really hit a snag. In the next to last piece the thrills in Festive Rondeau are killing me. My teacher has gone over it two times but its not happening so far. Any suggestions or pointers...

And I thought this next to last short piece was a gim me before Canon in D...lol

Mark

Hey Mark, well done on being close to the end of book 2. Is that Grand looking closer now?
No Festive Rondeau in my edition.

M
Mark... Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
M
Originally posted by Sundew:
Hey Mark, well done on being close to the end of book 2. Is that Grand looking closer now?
No Festive Rondeau in my edition.
Thanks...one more book to finish, and then grand shopping... smile

Page 18 of 190 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 189 190

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission