Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.5 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

What's Hot!!
NAMM 2018
-------------------
Forums With A View!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Fall 2017
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
119 registered members (ando, bennevis, agraffe, Beakybird, 30 invisible), 937 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 122 of 124 1 2 120 121 122 123 124
#2660682 - 07/11/17 09:46 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]  
JasonR Offline
JasonR  Offline

Toronto, Canada
That's a great piece Birdgold, and one that my teacher had me focus on. I played it for my first recital, and... well.. the first 3/4 went well wink

Anyways, enjoy learning it, I thought it was a really nice one to work on.

Myself I'm nearing the end of this book. I'm working on Deep River and onwards towards the end, everything in progress except the last song. I really like "Love's Greeting", very nice.

After I finish off this book I'm going to start the RCM grade 2 set, which I'm really looking forward to getting into.

I hope you're all having an excellent summer.

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2660831 - 07/12/17 11:48 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: JasonR]  
blackjack1777 Offline
blackjack1777  Offline

California
Wow it's so nice to see a bunch of updates in here!!

mom3gram thanks for getting this thread back on track again! It sounds like you have a lot on your plate with teaching the art class and your health goal. I wish you good luck on both! I liked Village Dance and Lullaby I think you will make good progress and be through them soon smile

Birdgolf Excellent to see your update on here as well! Sounds like you are making a lot of progress. That Chopin piece on p90 is definitely a difficult one. I like your idea about working on it backwards I still haven't tried doing that yet but I was thinking it might be a good method in the future.

JasonR sounds like you are really doing well I hope I can make it through the songs you're working on in the next few months. Like Birdgolf said it's all about the journey.

I had my lesson today and passed the Arkansas Traveler which I'm really happy to be done with. Honestly it was more of a technical exercise because they have you use your 4 and 5 finger in the right hand constantly and it really tires you out over the course of the song with all the repeats and the Allegro speed doesn't help. My teacher had said she changed the fingering for herself when she sight read it so she didn't have to use the weaker fingers. She's sneaky like that.

I will start in on Musetta's Waltz next. Did anyone else enjoy that piece? I haven't listened to it yet...

I'm still working on my Kuhlau Sonatina and will be for the foreseeable future. I basically am now at a point where I have all the details and dynamics and I need to bring it up to speed. As usual my teacher says my playing is heavy and slow and I need to lighten my touch.

Hope to see some more posts in here soon! Have a great week. smile

Half way through Alfred's Adult All in One - Level 2

https://soundcloud.com/blackjack1777/
#2660845 - 07/12/17 12:36 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]  
bSharp(C)yclist Offline
1000 Post Club Member
bSharp(C)yclist  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Orange County, California
Musetta's Waltz is a nice piece. You'll enjoy it ;0

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
SoundCloud
[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
#2663530 - 07/24/17 12:07 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]  
PhilipInChina Offline
3000 Post Club Member
PhilipInChina  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Bulgaria
How is anybody doing with "Hava Nagila"?

Currently working towards "Twinkle twinkle little star"
(ad ) MusicNotes.com
sheet music search
#2664558 - 07/28/17 11:45 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: PhilipInChina]  
blackjack1777 Offline
blackjack1777  Offline

California
Hello everybody, I haven't posted for a couple or more weeks and I feel bad about it. July has really gotten away from me!

I'm still taking my weekly lessons but I haven't started yet on Musetta's Waltz. I was too busy working on some outside pieces but this weekend I'm going to start learning the notes and getting into it!

I had my lesson today and it was a really good, I felt that I made strong progress from my last lesson and best of all I've been sleeping a lot better lately and that has helped me immensely, so I hope that I continue with my good sleep patterns because it's been so nice to get a consistent sleep schedule.

I passed a small technical exercise in my Dozen a Day book and made good progress on some Sonatinas so I'm continuing to move along and will hopefully have some more progress in Alfred's in my next update.

Hope everyone is well and look forward to reading your updates!

#2664593 - 07/28/17 02:28 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]  
PhilipInChina Offline
3000 Post Club Member
PhilipInChina  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Bulgaria
I have posted, and feel even worse. I should have been practicing, not posting!

Currently working towards "Twinkle twinkle little star"
#2664607 - 07/28/17 03:39 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: PhilipInChina]  
blackjack1777 Offline
blackjack1777  Offline

California
Originally Posted by PhilipInChina
I have posted, and feel even worse. I should have been practicing, not posting!

grin

#2664992 - 07/30/17 12:17 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: blackjack1777]  
blackjack1777 Offline
blackjack1777  Offline

California
I've started working on the first half of Musetta's Waltz and I have hands together at a very slow pace and without the pedal or dynamics.

I'm really enjoying the melody and tempo of this piece.

bsharp you were absolutely right this is a very nice piece indeed.

#2666153 - 08/04/17 11:54 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: blackjack1777]  
blackjack1777 Offline
blackjack1777  Offline

California
I had my lesson this morning and I wouldn't say it was particularly good.

I did get hands together on Musetta's Waltz so I'm going to try to add the strange pedal markings in this week and add dynamics and maybe pass that next week.

I bombed on the Kuhlau Sonatina I'm working on... I think I actually did worse than the previous week so I will continue butting some effort into it.

Overall I'm a bit disappointed with my performance for my teacher today but I will carry on.

Hope everyone is well smile

#2666280 - 08/05/17 12:04 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]  
Birdgolf Online content
Birdgolf  Online Content

Utah, USA
Still working on the Chopin piece Etude, Opus 10, No.3. I've tried it backwards, sideways, and now upside down. Still can't pin it down. I'm also starting Musetta's Waltz,Right hand.
I play some of my favorites out of Alfred's book #2 everyday before I work on the "new" pieces. Wishing everyone well. --Birdgolf

Birdgolf
[Linked Image]
#2668620 - 08/16/17 08:40 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]  
Rosewood17 Offline
Silver Subscriber
Rosewood17  Offline
Silver Subscriber

United States

Hello, I'm new to this thread as I just finished Alfred's All-in-One Adult Level 1 and I have my first assignment in Level 2 this week. At some point I should probably try to read this thread from the beginning (122 pages!?), but for now I just thought I would stop by and say Hi.

Roland LX-7
Started lessons in April, 2017
In progress: Alfred's Adult All-In-One Course: Lesson-Theory-Technic: Level 2 | Fundamentals of Piano Theory - Level 2 | Hanon: The Virtuoso Pianist in 60 Exercises
#2668630 - 08/16/17 09:19 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]  
JasonR Offline
JasonR  Offline

Toronto, Canada
Congrats Rosewood17, that's great. I really enjoyed the 2nd book, IMO there's lots of interesting music.

I'm actually just posting to say that I've wrapped up book 2. Near the end we skipped a few songs, but did most of them. I'm moving on to RCM grade 2 books, and the journey continues. The Alfred's AIO books were very good in my opinion.

Force of habit being what it is, I'll still probably read this thread every day. wink

#2668763 - 08/17/17 12:02 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: JasonR]  
blackjack1777 Offline
blackjack1777  Offline

California
Birdgolf That Chopin piece is a really tough one so good luck on it! How's Musetta's Waltz coming along? I bombed on my performance of it today. So I have another week to put in and then hopefully I will pass it.

Rosewood Congrats!!!! That's a really great milestone! I think you'll enjoy the second book and I hope to hear about your updates on here!

JasonR nice to see your posts in here and congrats on finishing up the second book. I'm about 2/3 of the way done so hopefully I will be graduating in a few months too.

For my update today I am verrrrrry happy to say I am finally finished with my Kuhlau Sonatina! It took me 13 weeks I had a real mental block on it. I feel so lucky I squeaked out a pass in today's lesson!

I'm still working on Musetta's waltz I think I have one more week of refinement. My teacher also assigned me a little technical piece from my Dozen a Day book and I have some theory to work on so. Overall I feel happy and like a weight is off my shoulder with the passing of my Sonatina this week.

Hope everyone else is well and love to read your posts.

#2668782 - 08/17/17 12:53 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]  
Rosewood17 Offline
Silver Subscriber
Rosewood17  Offline
Silver Subscriber

United States

blackjack1777 & JasonR Thanks for the welcome & congrats on being so far along! Right now I am working on Guantanamera. I'm not liking it that much; maybe I will like it better when I have learned to play it better! smile

Roland LX-7
In progress: Alfred's Adult All-In-One Course: Lesson-Theory-Technic: Level 2 | Fundamentals of Piano Theory - Level 2 | Hanon: The Virtuoso Pianist in 60 Exercises
#2668848 - 08/17/17 06:11 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Rosewood17]  
blackjack1777 Offline
blackjack1777  Offline

California
Rosewood17 I remember Guantanamera and I also felt the same way in the beginning but by the time I had learned it I really enjoyed it maybe you will like it better too smile

#2670464 - 08/25/17 11:39 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: blackjack1777]  
blackjack1777 Offline
blackjack1777  Offline

California
It's getting quiet in here smile

Ok I passed Musetta's Waltz today! Took me a while but I got there. the pedal and the hand position changes were not easy for me at all.

I also passed a little Dozen a Day technical piece as well so over all it was a good lesson.

I'm going to be starting on To a Wild Rose which I really like as an outside piece and maybe get back to Alfred's in the next week or two. I think Battle Hymn of the Republic is my next one in Alfred's.

Talk to you all soon!

#2670569 - 08/25/17 10:25 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]  
Rosewood17 Offline
Silver Subscriber
Rosewood17  Offline
Silver Subscriber

United States

Finished with Guantanamera and did like it better once I learned it, but there were still a couple of small sections that just never sounded quite right (like it was being forced to be in the key of C and really needed some accidentals to sound completely right, if that makes any sense).

Roland LX-7
#2670893 - 08/27/17 02:44 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]  
Utkonos Offline
Utkonos  Offline

Interesting piece of trivia: there is a performance of a piano arrangement of "Guantanamera" in the film "Bring me the head of Alfredo Garcia".

#2670904 - 08/27/17 03:46 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]  
tangleweeds Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012
tangleweeds  Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012

Portland, OR
This tourist video of a Cuban street band is what taught me to enjoy Guantanamara. Perhaps a little tipsy, but they're feeling it for sure!

Please step aside. You're standing in your own way.
#2670936 - 08/27/17 07:14 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]  
Birdgolf Online content
Birdgolf  Online Content

Utah, USA
Wow ! he can play the guitar! Thanks for posting video. Makes me want to go back and see if I still can play Guantanamara on the piano.

Birdgolf
[Linked Image]
#2675742 - 09/16/17 08:32 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Birdgolf]  
blackjack1777 Offline
blackjack1777  Offline

California
Wow it's been a while since anyone posted! We need to get our thread moving again.

I've been bogged down with outside pieces which is my reason for not having posted in a while but I finally finished some of them. And I'm going to try and get back in the habit of posting once a week.

I just finished Fur Elise which was really a huge challenge for me it took nearly 5 months to complete it. frown

I recorded it and I tried posting it to my Sound Cloud account but it was deleted due to copyright violations which is weird because the piece is over 200 years old. Anyway I opened an account on Audiomack and it seems to not violate any terms on their site... this is a link to the recording. I hope you enjoy it. smile

Link --> Fur Elise

As for Alfred's I'm thinking of starting work on Danny Boy next if my teacher let's me I'd like to play it at Christmas time so I'd need to start now. I'll be skipping way ahead but I can come back to the other pieces later.

Also, I just had my 3 year pianoverary of learning piano!

I hope everyone is well and talk to you all soon! smile

#2675750 - 09/16/17 08:51 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]  
Rosewood17 Offline
Silver Subscriber
Rosewood17  Offline
Silver Subscriber

United States

Working on Hungarian Rhapsody N. 2 and Morning Has Broken. This book is going so slowly, perhaps because my teacher had to cancel a week because of moving and then I had to cancel a week due to an emergency hospitalization in the family. In another week I will have to cancel a week due to a trip. However, I have continued to practice every day (and got a Go Piano for the trip, so I am all set there). I'm still having trouble with 7th chords though. For example, G7 is G-B-D-F, right? So inverted it is B-F-G (leaving out the D). What I do not understand is that there is no F in the key of G (it is an F#), so how can the G7 chord have a note in it that does not exist in that key? (I think I asked this before but no one answered. My teacher says "you'll understand later.")

Roland LX-7
#2675752 - 09/16/17 09:05 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]  
monkeeys Online content
monkeeys  Online Content

Union SC
I'm sorry to hear of those troubles Rosewood17. I do hope things are working out. When you do get some time, I'd invite your input in a thread called 1"indulge my crazy idea" if you like. I'm interested to see if we get a response as well as the result.

Blackjack, welcome back and look at this if you'd be interested. Thanks,mb

Alesis Coda Pro
PianoVideoLessons.com Currently Unit 3
Alfred Adult Piano 1-ebook version
#2675770 - 09/16/17 10:54 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Rosewood17]  
pwl Offline
pwl  Offline

Bay Area CA
Originally Posted by Rosewood17
I'm still having trouble with 7th chords though. For example, G7 is G-B-D-F, right? So inverted it is B-F-G (leaving out the D). What I do not understand is that there is no F in the key of G (it is an F#), so how can the G7 chord have a note in it that does not exist in that key?

I'm quoting another source here (referencing the C scale):
When you see "maj7" in a chord, it means the seventh is taken from the major scale, and you'll use the formula 1-3-5-7. A Cmaj7 chord is the notes C-E-G-B. When you just see "7", the chord is a "dominant 7th" chord. Dominant 7ths have the formula 1-3-5-b7, so C7 is C-E-G-Bb.

#2675772 - 09/16/17 11:12 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]  
bSharp(C)yclist Offline
1000 Post Club Member
bSharp(C)yclist  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

To find your dominant 7th chord, take the major chord and add minor 3rd on top of it. What you're adding to it is the minor 7th. So in this case it's F, as opposed to F#.

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
SoundCloud
#2675830 - 09/17/17 10:07 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]  
bSharp(C)yclist Offline
1000 Post Club Member
bSharp(C)yclist  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Another thought on dominant 7th that might help is this. Think of a dominant with respect to the key that it is a dominant of. So for Hungarian Rhapsody, in the key of C. G is the dominant. If you build (1, 3, 5, 7) from it, using the notes from the key of C, you'll have F instead of F♯. Morning has Broken is in the key of F major. The dominant of that is C, so building 1, 3, 5, 7 (a C7) from it using the notes in F major you'll end up using B♭ and not B.

I think it's common when learning scales and arpeggios that it also includes the arpeggios for the dominant of the key, in which case the notes will respect that key.

Now for added fun, flatten the 3, 5 and 7 of the dominant 7th chord. In this case you'll have C, E♭, G♭, and B♭♭ , the diminished 7th chord.

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
SoundCloud
#2676086 - 09/18/17 02:02 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]  
Birdgolf Online content
Birdgolf  Online Content

Utah, USA
Blackjack...Fur Elise was so good. Thanks for letting us enjoy it.

Birdgolf
[Linked Image]
#2676094 - 09/18/17 02:13 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Birdgolf]  
blackjack1777 Offline
blackjack1777  Offline

California
Birdgolf thank you! It's probably my favorite piece I learned so far.

I worked really hard and there was a lot of times I never thought I'd finish it. Glad you enjoyed it smile

#2676128 - 09/18/17 04:42 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]  
bSharp(C)yclist Offline
1000 Post Club Member
bSharp(C)yclist  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Blackjack, nice job. I enjoyed listening to it. I still have yet to learn a Beethoven piece. Did you dispute the claim on SoundCloud? They will reinstate your track, usually pretty quick.

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
SoundCloud
#2681195 - 10/10/17 06:24 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: bSharp(C)yclist]  
blackjack1777 Offline
blackjack1777  Offline

California
Wow it's so quiet in here!! Ok I figured I'd post a short update since it's been a few weeks since my last one.

I have been steadily working on Danny Boy in Alfred's (I asked my teacher if I could skip to it since it's one of my favorite songs - especially for the piano). And this arrangement in Alfred's is really nice!

I have hands together and I started adding in the pedal and dynamics this past weekend. I really can't wait to record this one and post it here. I think this is probably my favorite piece in the book so far.

I also wrapped up To a Wild Rose which is an outside piece for my exam in the spring. It is a wonderful little romantic-era piece written by American composer Edward Macdowell. I highly recommend this piece to anyone around our level. It is beautiful and I think quite accessible. I made a recoding of this on because I liked it so much.

Link to recording --> To a Wild Rose

I'm also working on a modern piece called Ivan Sings by Aram Khachaturian. This is a simple looking piece which has some strange syncopated rhythms but is really nice sounding, a little dark (written in Cminor) but I'm enjoying it. I'm hoping to have hands together later in the week and then start working on the pedal.

I hope everyone is well and progressing in their studies. I will enjoy reading your updates on your progress.

Page 122 of 124 1 2 120 121 122 123 124

Moderated by  BB Player, casinitaly 

Piano Acc. & Gift Items in
Piano World's Online Store
CLEARANCE SPECIALS!
Save Big In our online store now

In PianoSupplies.com ,(a division of Piano World)
our online store for piano and music gifts and accessories, Digital Piano Dolly, party goods, tuning equipment, piano moving equipment, benches, lamps Caster Cups and more.

Free Shipping* on Jansen Artist Piano Benches, Cocoweb Piano Lamps, Hidrau Hydraulic Piano Benches
(*free shipping within contiguous U.S. only)
(ad)
Pianist Magazine
Pianist Magazine - Issue 100
(ad)
SummerKeys
Maine Coast Music Vacation for Adults
(ad)
Pearl River & Ritmuller
Ritmuller Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq 6 Out now
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Has Cadenza Consistency Improved?
by Justoneguy. 02/22/18 03:03 PM
Adilia Alieva International Piano Competition
by Piano World. 02/22/18 02:22 PM
"C" hammer??
by Sanfrancisco. 02/22/18 01:01 PM
Piano Movie: Making The Grade In Cinemas April 13th
by Chili_Time. 02/22/18 12:56 PM
Looking at Used Yamaha GC1 - Looking for opinions
by ecstudier. 02/22/18 10:59 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics184,397
Posts2,698,279
Members89,666
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission