2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (1200s, aphexdisklavier, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, accordeur, 11 invisible), 1,801 guests, and 296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#990331 05/06/07 04:42 PM
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
ok, for some time now i havent been practicing as i should, i know i know gasp oh no shoot me now all that, now that is out of the way. i want to start practicing again like i used to, but cant seem to find that groove to get me to the piano, the kids screaming, noises coming from everywhere, i used to be able to filter these out quite easily, but now its annoying me. how in the heck can i get back in the groove of practicing? i love playing it just seems like alot of work right now, and feel like i am trying to catch up to myself. i know pick something i love to play, i love to play all of it, just cant get my groove back. any help? ideas or suggestions? thanks in advance laugh

If it ain't fun I ain't doin' it:)
Van Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Start out slow, re-listen to your previous recordings, perphaps replaying and rerecording some of those pieces that you've already mastered, then go on to new pieces as the old ones start to bore you. As for the noise, lock the door, grab the headphones and tune everything out for how ever much time you need...if the kids have survived this long...

Another thing you might try is to move the keyboard to the room where you spend the most time, this will prove to be an irresitable temptation.

[Linked Image]
I understand your predicament. I sometimes can only squeeze in 20 minutes, in the morning before work. There has just been so many things going on the last month or so, its difficult to grab an hour. Seems sometimes life gets in the way of living.

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
When your husband asks you what you want for mother's day, tell him what I told mine: Quality time on the bench. laugh My husband is going to take the kids out for the day and I'm going to play and play and play. Can't wait.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Funberger, do you like the sound of your piano? I only ask because if I remember correctly it was a freebie and quite old. It may be that your ears are acquiring a finer appreciation for a piano's sound - one that your current instrument may not be able to provide. It could be that you need an upgrade to jolt your motivation back up. Of course replacement may not be an option, in which case I'd recommend going on some trips to piano stores and playing the biggest and best you can find - just imagine yourself owning one of these someday and know that all the time spent on your older instrument is preparation for when you eventually own a big grand - thats what I do anyway!!

And while you are playing that fancy piano in the fancy store, a talent scout might spot you and sign you up for a recording contract -- for a fancy price smile

You'd practise for that wouldn't you?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
i love playing it just seems like alot of work right now
You want to but you're not there quite yet. From what I'm reading I think you're doing it more out of a sense of obligation and guilt rather than simply "because you want to".

I might be wrong but I do the same thing every now and then. If I don't feel like practicing I sit at the bench out of obligation and guilt but then a day later I'm ready for it, wanting it.

I would say go with your heart, and when you really really want it, nothing will stop you. Do what you have to do in real life, get it together, relax and quit thinking about it, when the time is right it's going to feel right and you're going to sit at that bench with love and devotion and not give anything else a second thought.

And of course I may be way off on this. he he laugh

Fuzzy Wuzzy was a bear, Fuzzy Wuzzy had no hair.>>> Herman Munster
C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
I made it part of the "first thing" morning ritual: stagger downstairs and pull a cup of coffee, stagger back upstairs and stretch out for a bit at the piano. I get that in BEFORE the screaming and running and hectic rush to get out the door.

If I get up early enough I'll have an hour shared between playing and meditation. If not, I get in a good half hour or playing.

If not that, I make it through one song, one time at least.

If not that, then it wasn't a good idea for me to get out of bed that day, anyway! smile

Inspiration is the act of pulling a chair up to the writing desk.
Pramberger JP-185 (a 6'1" mahogany-red Grand)+ Glenn Gould-ish piano chair (no cushion)

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission