2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (Barly, 1957, btcomm, brennbaer, Animisha, bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, 14 invisible), 1,919 guests, and 357 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Jelena Offline OP
OP Offline
Here are the results of the questionnaire. Unfortunately, the formatting is a bit off, couldn't get the bullets and paragraphs to work like in the original.
==================================================
RESPONSES TO THE QUESTIONNAIRE FOR ADULT BEGINNERS

Notes:
Quantitative answers are expressed in percentage points. Answers to qualitative questions are illustrated with the sampling of the answers that best express the opinions of the majority - the most characteristic ones have been included as an illustration of each specific question. Most answers in this category have been selected in order to aid future pedagogues in their work with adult learners.

Respondents to the questionnaire reside around the globe. Although the sample size is too small for real scientific proof, it is geographically varied enough to provide a global view of the issues facing both the adult learner and their instructors.

1 - How old are you? a) 20-29 b) 30-39 c) 40-49 d) 50 and above
a) 0%
b) 25%
c) 31%
d) 44%

2 – What is your profession?
Freelance translator & interpreter (linguist), trained teacher (learning disabilities, 2nd language learning)
Retired
Homemaker
Engineer. Computer design and software
Electrical Construction Project Manager
Computer technician
College Lecturer
Business owner, Direct Mail Agency
Academic administrative support
Database Consultant
Paramedic/RN
Stay at home mom of 8 years, but just got a part time position as school librarian.
Usability Analyst.
Accounts payable
Police Officer
Business owner
Physician
Pharmacy Manager
Professional Pilot
Registered Nurse, Case Manager
Analytical Chemist

3 – What is your reason for learning to play the piano as an adult?
Sample answers:
First instrument of study is violin but I played piano self-taught in childhood.
Always wanted to play, now have the time
I've always wanted to, and figured if I didn't start, I never would!
Personal Enjoyment
I love music – I love the piano – I quit when I was 11years old
Fun - personal fulfillment.
I am a returning piano student. Music was a very large part of my life as a school kid, to the point that my first major in college was Music Ed. As I was unable to finish that degree for financial reasons, the study of music dropped out of my life completely.
I have just recently been accepted as a Music Major w/ piano studio.  I am looking for a classical education in music w/ a piano focus.
Just love the sound of a piano
Inherited a spinet piano
I have a marching band background from high school. So I have always love music. and by playing the piano I am a one person marching band!!!
Have always loved playing around with pianos and music, but never had a chance to study piano.  (I used to pick out songs when I was a kid on any piano I could get my hands on).  I had a tiny little (awful!) keyboard for a long time, which I was inspired to pull out and play with a bit after seeing the Scott Houston (?) show on PBS - which inspired me to upgrade to a digital piano and to (eventually) find a teacher!
Noodled around my whole life without realizing adults do/can take lessons. Once I understood that, all the lights turned on and I was motivated really learn.
Something I always wanted to do since childhood but never had opportunity – either no space for piano, money, moving around etc. Then other focuses
such as career and family. Now it’s finally time.
Personal Pleasure / Challenge / Long term desire
Creative outlet, personal growth, entertainment
I never had the opportunity as a child.
Personal enjoyment/fulfillment, to learn theory, and because I love music
Took some lessons as a child and have always regretted that I didn't learn how to play well.
Took lessons for less than a year as a child (age 11). Regretted not being able to finish my studies and wanted to be able to play complicated, beautiful classical pieces I didn't get a chance to reach as a child. I also wanted to learn to improvise *just enough* so I could fumble around enough to reasonably pass sing-along Christmas songs off as recognizable.

4 – What is your objective/projected goal for your piano study?
47% - wish to advance to a high amateur/semi professional level (perform with ensembles or solo), and/or actually pursue classical music education either through RCM/NMCP or equivalent, or even university level
53% do it for personal growth, personal satisfaction, de-stressor, social/church related music activities

Sample answers:
Proficiency.
Play for personal enjoyment
To be able to play the music I enjoy mostly for my own pleasure
To be able to play a repertoire from memory at the drop of a hat. And to be able to participate in ensembles, either classical chamber music or jazz.
I'd like to achieve a level 5 or 6 and I'd like to play duets with other folks with different instruments.
To be able to play from printed music much better than I do
To be as proficient as possible - with the goal of being an advanced amateur in 10 years - equivalent of grade 10 or above
To study and improve my playing to be the best pianist I can become. I am interested almost solely in classical repertoire.
A classical music education.
I don't have a set goal in mind. I just want to play music like I did in high school
I'd like to:
- learn more about classical music, I feel very ignorant in this area
- be able to play from music in a variety of styles (classical, pop, jazz)
- be able to play from fake books
- and I'm learning some composition!  My teacher also composes, and I have tons of ideas - so we're working on that.  I have a much easier time getting ideas than developing/finishing them though at this point!
To learn to play correctly and a much larger variety of music.
To play Chopin. To enjoy myself and play well. I plan to do grade exams just because I like to have structure and goals.
I have no deadline but my objective is to learn theory so I can compose. and piano specific, I would like to be able to achieve at least intermediate level.
Technical Improvement / Build repertoire / Self-Satisfaction
Creative outlet, personal growth, entertainment
Going as far as I can. No specific goals, just get better and maybe joining the Barcelona Conservatory some day. I'm not planning a career change, that would be unrealistic, just want a structured and deep learning.
At this point, I my projected goal is to play advanced-level classical pieces. My secondary goal is testing these pieces through the RCM/NMCP system to have a "gauge" when I'm old and gray as to how far I'm come.
5 – What is your level of motivation as it pertains to learning to play the piano as an adult?
100% high motivation. Daily commitment to practicing and/or studying varies, the scope is from 1 to 4 hours a day. More detailed cumulative sampling of answers:

Addicted
My motivation is as high as it was when I first played at 11. It is the amount of time that becomes the detractor.
It is something I wish to do, hence highly motivated. I practice each day working toward goals, and often enjoy the process.
Highly motivated
I am very motivated, piano takes a very high priority regarding my free time. I usually practice a minimum of 30 minutes a day, but this can easily turn into 3 hours.
It varies, sometimes I'm really pushing, others I am more laid back.
Moderately high. I have stopped watching television since taking up piano.
I put in at least 1-2 hours each day
Extremely high
I would say pretty high. Playing the piano has resumed its former place as a significant part of my personal identity. However, as a working adult I am fortunate to be able to spend an hour an evening practicing. I don't consider it enough and I would like to do more but short of winning the lottery, quitting my job, and hiring a cook and housekeeper this is not an option.
Very high, I wish to progress as far as I possibly can.
Average 2 hours a day, manage even 4-hour days, wish I can do it every day!
Very high. Practice 2 hours a day.
I would like to be able to just sit and play to my heart's content; time constraints interfere.
I have a pretty high level of motivation, but it's different from other things I've tried.  It's not motivation towards an end goal (I don't force myself to practice with the hopes that eventually I'll achieve some goal) - it's more that playing is so self-rewarding and fun, I want to practice as much as possible.
Highly motivated, but I don't feel "driven". I'm not in a hurry. This is a brain sharpening activity for me.
I’m very motivated and practice every spare moment I get.
Very High / I am patient and willing to work hard to master difficult piano music.
I'm very motivated to learn. Nothing short of illness will keep me from my goal
Varies with real world time constraints and other commitments - generally high I'm highly and absolutely motivated, plus have the discipline to practice every day.

6 – Are you:
a) a “raw” beginner without any previous piano study? - 22.5%
b) a “returning” student? If so, what was your previous experience and why did you discontinue lessons? - 44.5%
c) None of the above - 33%

Sampling of answers from all three categories:
a) a “raw” beginner without any previous piano study
a) a “raw” beginner without any previous piano study (50+, now getting a music degree!)
b) I was 11years old, my father could not afford to send me any longer. At the time I didn’t mind.
b) 2 years piano and 4 years organ. Reason for discontinuing = Life
b) Two years of lessons as a grade school student in the 1960's. Teacher was the teenager who lived down the street. I can't remember why I quit. Perhaps she graduated or left home?
b) returning student, however my previous experience was nearly 100% self taught...some formal lessons as an adult (a few months in my 30's, and a few months in my 40's). I discontinued lessons b/c I couldn't easily accommodate a teachers need for predictable weekly lessons with serial learning process. My work-life-style and personal choices I make means that I may or may not play the piano for weeks at a time...I play as it suits me, when it suits me.
b) Returning student. I took a couple of years as a child and for a few months when I was 16 years old. Discontinued as a child because I didn't want to take lessons, parents made me and Dad lost his job and didn't have the money for lessons. Discontinued at 16 because of lack of discipline to practice.
b) hand full of lessons as a teen
b) Took piano lessons up to Fifth grade, then played trumpet through college
b) *I had less than a year of experience as a child (11 months). I discontinued lessons because my teacher retired. I lived in a rural area in Illinois and there weren't any other available teachers at that
time. My former teacher taught exclusively with the John Schaum piano method, his Making Music at the Piano supplementary method, and the David Hirschberg "Technic is Fun" series. (And if you've heard my technic, it would appear that the Hirschberg method is a bad punchline!). She typically assigned one piece from each book per week, but I ended up with 7 books to practice out of because I was progressing too quickly through the three method books. In this time I went through Schaum's method books A-E, Making Music at the piano 1-4, John Thompson's books 1-3, Denes Agay's "Recitals are fun", Hirschberg's books Prep through 2, a Christmas book grade 3, and Hanon.
c) I play guitar so not a raw beginner, but not a returning student either
c) although I did sing for many years, so I have some music background
c) I started without previous piano study although I did play accordion as a child
c) I did not have any previous piano study, but I played clarinet in school (so could read treble clef easily), and had played around with pianos all my life (knew which keys were which notes and could play a little bit and had already "practiced" with 2 hands on my own). 
c) None of the above. I'm a raw beginner concerning 'piano study', but I took 2 years of solfege and voice as a child. My theory knowledge is far ahead of my playing skills right now, fact that has helped greatly in my piano 'adventure'.
c) None of the above. I taught myself to play piano as a child having movable do solfege as my only tool, and my grandmother’s books (Czerny, intermediate pieces from a conservatory book: Clementi, Mozart etc.) I had lessons for 6 months at age 16 but the teacher stopped teaching at her baby’s birth.
c) I stopped playing piano age 18 at the loss of a piano. I mentally transposed some of the piano pieces (Fur Elise) onto classical guitar because we could afford a piano. The possibility of taking lessons as an adult never entered my mind.

7 – Was it difficult to find an instructor who accepts adult beginners?
Although anecdotal evidence points to an entirely different response, all but one respondent stated that it was not difficult to find a teacher who was willing to teach adults. However, as later responses will reveal, most are not entirely happy with their choices. Sampling of answers from all categories:

No, but it was difficult to find one who really knows how to teach adults. Most teachers accept both but most only have 1-2 adults. I found a good teacher who only teaches adults but she only has 8 students and does it part-time
No – but difficult to get a spot with a really good one - they are all very busy.
Not particularly. My teacher was a friend for years before becoming my teacher. She is a piano performance PhD student. Her initial reluctance was not that I was an adult, but that she had not taught a friend before. Had she not become my teacher she was going to recommend me to a friend of hers who has completed her PhD in piano.
No, I have hired a graduate of my current University. Plus I have Studio and Ensemble faculty instructors.
not at all.
Nope, but my teacher, teaches mostly kids.
For me, surprisingly no.  I found someone online, liked his experience and credentials, and had a trial lesson with him.  I signed up right after that with him.
No. I had an instant connection with the first teacher I met. I would hate to think of loosing her.
No, the first teacher I rang did, although all her current other students are kids.
Not really for me, but I haven't spent a great deal of time looking for piano instructors...only 2 times in my life.
No, all the teachers I talked to were willing to take adults. Not all of them took them seriously, though.
Yes! I went through numerous contacts before I found an instructor who accepted adults. Many refusals were teachers listed in our local MTNA chapter, which is unfortunate because MTNA is where adults are frequently referred to when they are searching for an instructor. One didn't think I'd be able to devote the time necessary to piano study when I asked if a Saturday spot was available (it was not) and I (at the time) only had Saturdays off as I rotated shifts on other days, another told me that she only taught children and outright refused to teach anyone over the age of 18 (MTNA member), and numerous others just simply did not return my phone calls when I left requests for piano lessons for myself (MTNA members).

8 – If you took lessons as a child/youth, do you notice any difference in instructors' approach to teaching you as a child and now as an adult? If so, please explain.

Sampling of answers from all categories:
My son (age 12 as starter) and I were treated in the same manner with similar expectations depending on what we could produce, of course.
In 1968 my teacher was an awful person – I recall she was wicked.
What stands out between the 5 different teachers that I have had is the quality of instruction, not the age I was when being taught. My first 2 teachers were mediocre small town piano teachers. Where I grew up you were considered an 'advanced' pianist if you played at what I now know to be an early intermediate level. When I was in high school I began taking lessons at the piano prep department of a college in a 'nearby' community (nearby for that area meaning about 30 miles away). I also had my college teacher and of course my current teacher. Difference in approach with my current teacher I would attribute more to the fact that we were friends for several years before she became my teacher.
Huge difference between a teenager and a real adult instructor.  What I retained was a limited ability to sight read, dynamics, pedaling and great hand positioning.  Lost was any sort of theory, correct counting, concepts like intervals to read above and below ledger lines etc. 
Wider range of music selections, technically more difficult pieces, theory, fewer stickers ...
Some of the teachers I interviewed as an adult make a great different in their approach to teaching adults. I chose the teacher who follows the same method for children and adults. She teaches at the Conservatory and in a private studio (where I take classes) and makes all her students to work hard.
Yes. As a child I was assigned a method and that was what I played. As an adult, I was asked to make a list of pieces I wanted to play---immediately and long-term. I was thrown off-center for a moment as no one had ever consulted me in regards to what I wanted to play before. I assumed it was assigned and one slogged through it until one reached the next piece. Instead of slogging through difficult technical passages as before, I have the opportunity to try other avenues of reaching competency rather than work through method books.

9 – What is the one teaching technique that your instructor applies that really works for you?

Sampling of answers:
When he began teaching me as he himself had been taught (Gymnasium, conservatory) without shortcut or lowered expectation. That’s when it really started to work for me.
She gets me to slow down and really learn a piece, section by section. She's teaching me patience!
Playing together, one hand per person.
He demonstrates by playing – I watch and learn.
Not sure - perhaps playing a piece as an example to emulate. And he is highly demanding, which I appreciate.
I suppose it would be her ability to help me take apart a piece and improve it once I get to the first stage of "knowing" a piece (the first stage being...I know the notes and can play it through at or near tempo). The amount of fine-tuning it is possible for her to help me do is quite impressive to me.
Taking a piece that I think might be finished and exploring it very, much more deeply.
Using an adult teaching method.
Her interest and drive to understand why a piece may be difficult for me, then work with me to problem solve the issue.
Active listening, freedom to pick my own pieces, help with fingerings, understanding of adult time constraints
She's mean! smile Seriously, she takes adults seriously and expect the same in return. No past-timers or 'just for fun' approaches.
She's experienced and has strong pedagogical skills. I'm really lucky to have her as a teacher.
Explaining things in non-traditional ways. I have a difficult time with numbers. I also think literally. If you tell me to move "up" the keyboard, I immediately go into "up in the air" mode. Teaching the "keyboard geography as topical geography" was a genius move that in one lesson erased years of confusion for me.

10 – What, if anything, is your instructor lacking in his/her teaching as pertains to the specific needs of an adult beginner?

Sampling of answers:
A gifted student presents a trap. We can appear to know more than we do, and it is the basic fundamental things especially that we miss. I could glance at a piece in ABA pattern, read four notes and extrapolate the entire piece, glance at key sections and play (correctly) what I anticipated if the composer lacked imagination. But I could not read notes and this wasn’t caught since I was actually working through sheet music (no recordings) and “kind of” reading, even fluently. I followed Solfege patterns and I audited.
Specifically I seem to be a gifted adult beginner who had never had formal training and played self-taught on a number of instruments, then started lessons when almost 50 years old.
Sometimes, she doesn't push quite enough
No theory attempted beyond recommending a book to read and work through
Too early to say – new teacher; Last teacher – too many short cuts
If any*thing...I just hope that she is not afraid to 'push' me and hold me to the same high standards as she would hold a kid of my current ability...Not that I'm all that great but I don't want to be a dilettante who is seen as 'just playing for fun'...I would like to be pushed and stretched like a kid who might have the option of studying piano in college one day =)
We have very limited time, and as a result I spend more time on the details of the literature I'm currently learning.  Things that are not usually covered in my hired lessons are "sight reading", scales, etc. Maintenance work if you will..
Not tough enough
I don't feel like she really motivates me. I mostly have to motivate myself.
I really appreciate his flexibility, but sometimes, I wonder if he has a plan!  This may be ignorance on my part, but it feels almost random sometimes, especially compared to what I read on the piano forums from other people.  I worry that I'm missing important things... I also worry that he seems to want to "follow" me (take my lead on what things to work on) - which would be great, except I'm really depending on him to be the teacher and guide me (and push a little when needed!) into what I need to know/do. I'd also LOVE to see "adult student piano parties" which he has no interest in, as a low-key way for his adult students to practice performing.
Sometimes I think she moves me on a bit too quickly. Accepts that I understand a concept, when I don't feel like I have the piece to a truly polished stage. However, she thinks I'm way too hard on myself.
Probably not experienced with adults and still tends to teach like she would a child – explains how to remember things like she would to a child, for example rests – “this looks like an upside down hat so the man who wears it is very clever walking upside down” LOL Generally instructs the same as she
would a child.
Flexibility in teaching style. Flexibility in teaching schedules.
Understand time limitations of working adults.
Nothing. My instructor goes out of her way to find ways to help me understand something fundamental that most people take for granted. She has had to re-lay a foundation for an adult, and has done so by addressing the specific needs of adults. Although she has every reason to feel the need to pull every hair out of her head after our lessons, she has remained patient and contributed greatly towards my progress.

11 – What is, if any, advice you would give to an instructor in order to improve his/her approach to teaching an adult beginner?

Sampling of answers:
There is no such thing as “the adult beginner”. The variety is as enormous as humanity. Get to know us very well, then revise every 6 months as we grow.
I would have advice based on my experiences. Don't sweat the "perfection" angle as much. Adults generally are not looking for a career. Be prepared to answer "off-the-wall/topic" questions.
Absolutely help with pieces that are out of reach. Adults are more in to learning dream pieces. Theory is much more important to an adult than a younger student. Much more, but enough for now...
Listen to what the student wants. Don't try to put an adult into the same learning mold as a child.
Allow student to blow off a piece they aren't progressing on. Sometimes I stick with something and stagnate, I come in week after week with no improvement and can't move on because I think I need to tackle it but always procrastinate on practice. I think sometimes it's because I'm comfortable with not progressing!
Start at the beginning – the very beginning
Don't assume anything - some of us are highly motivated and will work very hard.
Many adults will have a much stronger idea of exactly the music they want to play than most kids. Be aware of this, but also remember to encourage them to get a strong enough foundation in the basic skills to keep their options open if they want to venture into other genres.
I take a bit more time to get a very new "concept" into my hands (and sometimes head).  My teacher and I have come to terms about this. She has learned that I am paying very close attention to the details of the lesson, I take it with me and the next time I see her I will have learned it.  (This is the opposite of say a Master class where a adjustment or suggestion would be expected to be done instantly)
Nail the basics before moving forward
Really listen to what that adult beginner wants out of his or her lessons. And be open minded. Everyone is different.
My teacher likes to demonstrate things on the piano.  This is great - except - sometimes it's impossible as a beginner to figure out what he's doing or what's important about it.  Sometimes, being able to explain things clearly in words is helpful... (I'm sure this doesn't just help adult beginners!) When you DO demonstrate, repeat it slowly and then let the student try it out... for me, it's more instructive if I can actually put my hands on the keys rather than just watch. 
Maybe it's immature, but I HATE hearing about how fabulous his other students are ("student X just won a composition contest and is going to LA" and "I have a new student who has never played, but after 1 week, came back with a very complicated and amazing arrangement from a fake book!" )  All this does is make me feel like I'm not doing enough - not smart enough, not trying hard enough, just not good enough - and that doesn't help me do better in my lessons, it's discouraging!
Some of us like to ask a lot of questions, especially about nit-picky theory details.  We're not *arguing* - we're trying to get the model right in our heads, and need to test the limits of it to see how it works!!!  I don't know if this will help any, but I (like lots of other adult beginners, from what I've read) was a nervous wreck playing in front of my teacher when I started.  (As in, I couldn't eat dinner before my lesson because I felt sick to my stomach - even though I loved my lessons and always left happy!)  I think what finally helped was getting to the point where I felt like my teacher actually liked me as a person and respected me.  When I thought he had a solid enough positive view of me that it wouldn't be derailed by bad playing (i.e. when I got to the point that I knew he wouldn't think that I was lazy or stupid for not playing something perfectly in my lesson) - I relaxed a bit.  I rarely get that pre-piano-lesson jittery feeling anymore!
We are adults, please respect that. Not all of us are in a race to improve as rapidly as possible. We can accept critique and expect it. As an aside, I read one time that the adult brain needs to hear new information on an average of seven times before it sticks. We can learn! However, for some of us you need to have the tolerance to explain certain things several times. We often lack confidence as we feel we are playing in a field with young children and amazing teens. We bring to the table our life time of successes and failures - years worth of events that have shaped us prior to deciding to start piano lessons.
Remember they’re not a child! Involve the adult more in how they want to learn and what they want to learn. My teacher is used to just telling her students what to do and not involving the student in the direction or method.
Understand time limitations of working adults
Just be patient and don't overload the adult student. I find that although I've advanced quicker as an adult than a child it's due to my understanding and my motivation but age doesn't make us geniuses. Also take into account when assigning work that adults don't have all the time in the world. We have many obligations. Be realistic when assigning work and don't overburden us.
Offer instruction on monthly or bi-monthly basis.
Be prepared to have a "different" kind of patience. We feel like we should be "smart enough" to get what we (sometimes wrongfully) perceive as the "small stuff" and are easily frustrated when we do not. We over analyze many things children simply take as fact. We don't always get the time to practice that we desire. Even though we know we aren't going to be concert pianists, don't let us play piano like a typewriter because you are afraid you will hurt our feelings if you suggest adding expression.

12 – What particular genres of piano music do you prefer/want to learn?
89% identify classical as their only or primary choice.
10% identify popular, show tunes, jazz or gospel in addition to classical.
1% identify other genres as primary choice

Sampling of answers:
My interest is primarily classical. I want to get proficiency in piano playing, understand the language of music and combine it with technique in order to learn how to play well. Particular pieces should afford me the opportunity to grow. The various periods and genres within the period should be covered over time.
My goals do not go toward genres or pieces or composers. Please, NO popularized well known classical melodies that your grandmother will hum to.” aka “We’ll take the guts out of the music and leave you with empty appearance.” However, other people I’ve talked to want just that.
Classical and solo popular
Mostly popular music, standards, show tunes, jazz and a little classical
I like romantic, and would like to be able to play Jazz and boogie woogie. I play classical and like it enough but it's not my listening preference.
All types including classical
Classical almost exclusively - Chopin, Schubert, Beethoven, Brahms primarily. Some popular tunes would be fun - Show tunes, etc (e.g. Cole Porter).
Classical, I'm very interested in Bach, Late Romantic, and Impressionist music.
Pop rock, jazz blues
I like classical
Classical, pop, and a little bit of jazz (don't know a lot of jazz, but am enjoying learning) - I'd be open to anything interesting my teacher brought in though!
This has changed over the first year of lessons:). I initially took my old John Thompson first grade book in and said "I want to learn to play these correctly. Bombed (more later). I initially said I just wanted to play for myself. The 60's, 70's 80's era of sheet music I have a stack of. Now I'm considering working up enough skills to approach some classical pieces.

13 – Is there a particular book/method that you are using?
Alfred Adult series, Thompson's, Faber & Faber are used by the majority of those who do use method books. Most though either do not use them because thee see no benefit, or abandon method books early on, either by self choice or on the advice of the instructor to replace them with a more liberal selection based on the level and Interest.

Some of the answers:
Free repertoire: it's been whatever we find music-wise, no formal teaching books.
Czerny preliminary studies, Burgmuller studies mostly for sigh treading presently
Louise Guhl Keyboard Proficiency
Alfred's and Humphries Piano Handbook
Started on Alfred but my teacher said I could abandon it because I'd worked through most of book 3 by the time I started taking lessons.
Alfred's (on my own) and The Jazz Piano Book by Mark Levine (thru my instructor)
Alfred's Adult Group book
I was raised on John Thompson. Have been out of methods books since I was about 13 when my first good teacher took me out of them in favor of free choice repertoire. Her rationale was that it was better to play appropriately difficult repertoire starting in the early intermediate stage, than stay with a method book.
I have two lesson books that I use. Tompsons and Schaums
Faber and Fabers Gold performance books
Faber & Faber all-in-one book two. I have completed a F & F accelerated adult beginner book 2
Alfred’s – this was teacher’s choice.
Alfreds in the past...not using any method books now. I use a music dictionary and internet to find answers for technical questions I might have.
Bayer op 101. Czerny op 599, Schumann' Album for the Young, Kabalevsky's 24 little pieces, Clementi's Sonatinas...
Alfred's Adult Book One
*No. We work on classical pieces and Czerny Op. 599 exercises for warm up and analysis.

14 – Do you prefer:
a) using a particular book/method? - 4%
b) free choice repertoire? - 25%
c) combination of both? - 71%

Some of the answers:
a) I like the book method because I am in self study and I know where to go next
b) free choice repertoire
b) At my current level, free choice rep.
b) At this point in my piano development (intermediate-advanced) I prefer b) free choice repertoire.
c) Combination. If I were to do a completely free choice repertoire I'd always be wondering if I had missed out on something. But I dislike "easy arrangements" because I feel they pander to popular taste. I feel there is enough original material out there without needing to bastardize a classic.
c) I would prefer a combination of both but haven’t had that opportunity yet.
c) I really enjoy free choice repertoire and have absolutely no desire to return to the method books of my youth. I do find that I need the structure that the short Czerny exercises provide to help me overcome specific problems I find in my pieces. I could have the exact same passage in a piece packaged as an exercise and find the exercise "achievable", and look at the piece as "unconquerable."

15 – Are you interested in and/or learning theory as part of your learning to play the piano?
99.99% of respondents are either studying theory on a level higher than their performance level, or having it incorporated in their lessons at least part of the time. They all see the importance and usefulness of theory. Roughly 80% are doing it on their request, rather than on the teacher's requirement/suggestion!
99.99% says YES to interest showing high awareness of the usefulness of theory. They all see it as an integral part of learning to play the piano.

Sampling of answers:
Teacher: “I didn’t know you were interested.” Since expressing interest last year, I studied the Barbara Wharram Rudiments book, and wrote the RCM theory exam for rudiments at the Intermediate and Advanced level. I am volunteer teaching the preliminary level to one student since 4 months.
Music history and genre study have been overlooked. I began getting an overview of history and periods this year. If I know that in the end Renaissance/Baroque period the natural rhythms of speech in poetry, and the natural inflections of speech for emphasis and emotion were to govern music, then I will try to find and reflect that in a Ballad for example. If I know of the strong percussive beats and instruments, then my music will take on that flavour (as I get the technical ability to do so.)
Music (practical) and theory go hand in hand and I would like a dialogue to exist. As I study a piece, I would like things to be pointed out to me such as meter (its rhythms, the character it gives the piece), modulations if I can’t find them myself. I would like to be guided in the preparation of the piece before actually studying it, i.e. examining it – for this I need theory.
Absolutely. I find it intriguing to study a piece and to analyze it. I don't do enough of it though.
I had 3 years of music theory as a college music major and have regrettably forgotten most of it. I would like to get it back but am unwilling to spend scarce lesson time on it...if I had the time, energy and money I would take it as a separate class (too bad it's not a listed option for Herberger's Community Music program...hint, hint) Having learned NO theory as a kid I realize the knowledge of theory is incredibly helpful to a pianist for many reasons.
I have taken all Theory classes (very important to ALL serious musicians)
I started learning about theory, but to tell you the truth, Its Boring!!!! And I don't ever plan on writing my own music so I don't see the purpose. I think my teacher needs to explain to me why theory is necessary.
YES!  I actually really enjoy learning theory.
I don't want to grind on theory. Right now we work it as it applies to the assigned piece. I like this. It's little digestible chunks.
Yes, although I want to learn more and teacher hasn’t really introduced theory – I study it on my own from online sources at this stage. Not a lot of theory in the method book I’m using at the moment.
Yes, but time is a major limitation
Yes of course. IMHO, theory is a must in the process of music learning. Musicology is also a topic I'm very interested in.
Yes. I played the trumpet all through school and learned theory when I took lessons at 16 but I am interested in learning more
*Yes. For me it is indispensable as I have to find a solid way of looking at a problem in a piece due to my wacky brain wiring.

16 – Are you also learning and working on the technical aspect (scales, studies, exercises, etc.)?
Yes – 83.7%
No – 16.3%

Sampling of answers:
Yes! That’s a main point!
Yes - a significant amount.
Yes, technical stuff is addressed via the repertoire, although I would be willing to work on exercises if my teacher suggested it. Due to my limited time to practice she suggests doing what we are doing now.
Yes, I have Faculty teachers that assign them.
Sort of.  I've had some difficulty with my hands (too much computer work) so we haven't done much with these.  Just started some very relaxed Hanon... eventually will get to scales.
Yes. In my all-in-one book there are always several pages of these things within a section. I do those exercises.
Yes. After I asked to.
Yes, but time is a major limitation.
I will be. I have ordered a bunch of supplemental books from Alfred and one of them is fingering exercises.
*Yes, the above-mentioned Czerny exercises, Op 599.
Occasionally. I sometimes play scales.
No. I have mixed feelings about this. I read about just using repertoire as exercise material and I want to believe this. But maybe it's just wishful thinking.
Not really, my teacher kinda lacks in that area.

17 – Is your repertoire/material:
a) exclusively instructor's choice? b) exclusively your choice? c) combination of both?
a) 24% b) 17% c) 59%

Sampling of answers:
a) Instructor’s choice through the method book. I hope to introduce a combination of both soon.
a) exclusively instructor's choice
a) My instructor chooses it. Sometimes she lets me pick a piece of 2 or 3 she suggests.
b) exclusively my choice
c) In consultation. He believes that I have the necessary judgment at this stage to choose studies etc. I would like him to choose what best suits my learning needs at any stage.
c) I will bring in a piece that I play, and instructor may suggest something else she thinks I may like.
c) Combination. Currently I am happy to go, for the most part, to be guided with pieces suggested by my instructor. Habit leftover from childhood lessons.
c) combination of both, offers more structure than just free choice.
c) *The end choice she kindly leaves to me, but she auditions a multitude of pieces within my level to choose from.

18 – Any additional comments that you would like to add?

Sampling of answers:

The biggest problem in talking to other adult students is that we are different from each other. Most, possibly, want to play the piano as a hobby, want to have enough skills to be able to play reasonably well. Not all are aware of the work involved, or want to do the work. Some teachers want to teach seriously and cannot deal well with that attitude: there are clashes, or they don’t accept adults. More commonly, teachers address this light attitude and extrapolate this onto all adult students. Those who are serious get the short end of the stick, especially since serious teachers often won’t accept adults.

We will get the “fun, popular” music, lessons will be geared toward repertoire instead of skill. We will not be given the absolute fundamental essentials, or to a sufficient depth (why I love Guhl), and we will not really become “shaped” as musicians. A serious adult who has never had lessons will not know what they are missing, and don’t know what to ask for. The above formula works fine for many people.

It is possible that my wishes as an adult puts me in a minority. The important thing to know is that there is a huge variety among us, including those who are serious – practicing thoroughly, and spending 3 – 4 hours per day when they do, every day. To this end I would also like to see a music teacher being full competent: knowledge in the instrument, technique, music (theory, genre etc.) as well as pedagogy. Teaching is a profession, and not an easy one.

Piano is like working out in that it can create great joy if approached in the right way. It can be frustrating at times, and we must always be aware of the dangers of not rewarding ourselves once in a while. The real secret to learning to play is SLOW DOWN, and enjoy the trip...
I think it's important for a teacher of adults to know and understand the adult mind and approach to learning. It's definitely not the same as a young student. Making the learning environment more adult oriented (listening to what the student thinks, prefers, etc; dealing with issues that come up on a one to one adult level)- things like that are important for both teacher and student to understand and agree on.

Nothing you don't already know probably! Anecdotally, whenever I tell a gathering that I started playing piano as an adult, I expect to get one or two "I used to play as a kid, stopped in college" or "I've ALWAYS wanted to start". There must be some way to tap into those people who could start up again or to encourage those who would start if only they had a push in that direction. Learning to play as an adult is mazing

Anyone who has any interest in learning to play the piano at any age should do it without hesitation.

Had very little idea of what I was going to learn going into University study.  I have found that I am getting the type of education I "thought" I might get. (Even though there are classes I register for while kicking & screaming that I don't want to take them)  Aural Theory would be one of those!

You're never to old if you stay with it and work hard.

I love the journey. Sometimes I feel utterly stupid but when the lights turn on and something clicks - it's a thrilling experience. For all that I feel like I don't master, those things that I do are a sheer joy.

I found there to be little information on piano teachers available (here in Australia at least). I’m not sure I have a good teacher but since it was hard finding names/recommendations I just went with the first one I rang who was recommended by the piano store. I expected there to be more online resources for locating a teacher, but what there was wasn’t very helpful. They don’t seem to advertise their services much, if at all.

My answers are based on my level of piano development and experience, which is certainly well beyond a typical adult just starting out raw. If my world were perfect I would have had the option of piano lessons as a child. I would have also preferred to have had the benefit of more formal instruction as an adult. Instead, I chose to teach myself, and fortunately I'm a pretty good teacher and student.

I have played by ear all my life. I can pick up any melody that I have heard and put the chords to it. My major weakness is my fingering is terrible and I don't know what to do with my left hand other than play the chord. After I work on fingering for a while by myself, I am going to look for a teacher who can combine written music with playing by ear with chords and who will be able to take me to a higher level.

I am sure there are many areas of this country where it is impossible to receive training without driving a couple of hours. The area where I current live is one of I am sure many such locations. Since the spinet I inherited was never tuned or regulated, I knew I had to tune it myself so I bought the equipment and training I needed on line. I have surprised myself in how satisfying just sitting down and playing can be. I have been at this now for not quite 2 years. My piano is now at A=440 and I have switched from mostly popular music with chords for the left hand and fake books to classical because of the challenges that classical presents.I will probably relocate to another area of the country in the near future that is less remote due to my experiences on the piano. Yes, I will seek high quality training at that time and perhaps that 7' grand?

Musically yours,
Dr. Jelena Vladikovic, NCTM
Kawai Artist
Piano and pedagogy Professor, Grand Canyon University
Founding Teacher, Royal Conservatory Music Program
Member, College of Examiners: Royal Conservatory
Center Representative, Royal Conservatory
www.vartabedianpianostudio.com
G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
absolutely fascinating. Thanks for your generosity in sharing the results. Gaby tu

Hey, great results and very interesting. Thank you for taking the time to post our results.

AspenX

Yamaha P115 Keyboard
A very old outta tune Baby Grand
A stack of piano music that I cant play !!!
B
B
Thank you very much for posting this, Jelena.
Absolutely great and interesting results.

P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
Jelena, I would LOVE to hear what your pedagogy students have to say in response to their session on adult students.

I think you should offer a special topics course on teaching the adult piano student. I am sure I know where you could get an adult piano student volunteer or two for the class wink

Adult Amateur Pianist

My only domestic quality is that I live in a house.
Jelena Offline OP
OP Offline
Prodigal, I could take you up on that! I have one 15-minute demo, but I can do two - the first one has a learning disability to boot and I thought it would be a perfect opportunity for them to learn about that too! Buzz me ... off to ASU, teaching - break at 5 pm, you got my cell, right?

To everyone - it was my pleasure!!!! And, yes, the results are fascinating and this one's is being translated into a paper/presentation for the MTNA conference. Thank you all!

Musically yours,
Kawai Artist
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I think that Prodigal's interest is echoed by many of us.

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Neat, thanks for posting the results. I think it's AWESOME that you're studying this and actually looking into the "reality" versus what the textbooks have to say about us wink Thanks!

O
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
O
Thanks for sharing Jelena...very interesting to read and compare answers from other adults with the same desire to learn to play the piano. thumb

Jeff
[Linked Image]
R
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
Great work (yours, Jelena to ask so thoughtfully and synthetize all, and ours collectively to say what we'd say) !!

And thank you for NOT including my opinions in the above 'sampling'. Now I see my 'data point' was an outlier in several respects: interest in keyboards in general, more toward organ than "piano" literally; peculiar patterns of difficulty/ease; frustration at conventional teaching; less expressed motivation (maybe a cultural thing with you US-ians ;-) ); and maybe geography/"out of studied market". But then, I'm used to being an outlier in several respects...

I wonder - were there many outliers, like me, or in any other imaginable way ? Included at least in the overall statistics ?

Thanks a lot for posting the results, it's interesting reading.

Doing this exercise actually helped my relationship with my teacher! Writing the answers made me see that there were some issues I wasn't happy with. I was able to discuss them with my teacher and we're now much more on the same page! smile I've introduced some pieces I wanted to learn, and my teacher's happy even though they're a fair bit more advanced than where I'm up to in Alfred's. I'm also doing more theory and technical exercises. So thank you for giving me the impetus to discuss this with my teacher.

Good luck with your work.

Balf ♫

B
B
Besides a piano teacher, I seriously need an English teacher also.... I recognize my answers and they're definitely horrible (both grammatically and sintactically!)
My "phrasing" sucks! help

Jelena Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally posted by ROMagister:
Great work (yours, Jelena to ask so thoughtfully and synthetize all, and ours collectively to say what we'd say) !!

And thank you for NOT including my opinions in the above 'sampling'. Now I see my 'data point' was an [b]outlier
in several respects: interest in keyboards in general, more toward organ than "piano" literally; peculiar patterns of difficulty/ease; frustration at conventional teaching; less expressed motivation (maybe a cultural thing with you US-ians ;-) ); and maybe geography/"out of studied market". But then, I'm used to being an outlier in several respects...

I wonder - were there many outliers, like me, or in any other imaginable way ? Included at least in the overall statistics ? [/b]
Hi,
Your statistics are included in the overall results. However, because of your very specific case, and it being THE only one that I know of since nobody else self-identified, I saved that for the other side of my research. In fact, I am just now corresponding with another person in a similar situation as you. This has prompted me to possibly start a new thread in the the teacher's forum in order to help them learn and help their students. We'll see - my time is so limited and I don't want to start something I can't follow through properly!

Musically yours,
Kawai Artist
Jelena Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally posted by Boira:
Besides a piano teacher, I seriously need an English teacher also.... I recognize my answers and they're definitely horrible (both grammatically and sintactically!)
My "phrasing" sucks! help
Don't sweat it! The results are anonymous and even I don't know who said what. Well, unless I go sift through more than 60 emails! smile smile

Musically yours,
Kawai Artist

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission