2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (Carey, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, 13 invisible), 1,830 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
i wouldn't use about the same amount of money to buy a cheap upright (or even cheap grand) than a high-end digital. some cheap and massive made acoustic pianos just suck.

Originally posted by nan:
Are you certain that some high end digitals cannot be as good as acoustics in certain respects? Such as the keyboard action and sound?
Yes. A digital doesn't have any action to begin with...

N
nan Offline
N
Hammerklavier, I get it that the digital is all electronic and has no action! But, the high end digitals are designed to imitate the acoustic. The sales guys really have that down about how this or that design is superior. OK, no one is saying that the digital is better than a good acoustic, but digitals definitely can be better than cheap acoustics. What I would like to hear more on (pros/cons) is from experienced pianists opinions on which digitals are decent for beginners and intermediate players to practice on.

T
T
In my view, digital pianos are getting closer and closer to acoustics in every aspects.

Ten years ago digital pianos were just toys, maybe sounded fairly ok and had some feeling to them but lacked in many areas.
The last five-six years has seen a massive improvement though. The digital sound is getting very good, and the mechanism is more and more like the acoustics in both feeling and style.

A cheap digital piano is still a toy, and even the most advanced one will not compete with a really good acoustic.
But the better digital pianos are certainly not toys anymore and in my view is a good substitute for an acoustic piano.

I tested one of the Kawai grand cabinet digital (don't remember the model, sorry) a couple of months ago and i must say it was an inspiring experience.
Wouldn't have said no to that particular model myself, although i guess it's got a not so nice pricetag that one.

In the end there's only one way to find out, go out and try a lot of digitals and compare.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
joelandre, if you don't like the sound of a piano - regardless of digital or acoustic - don't get it. You will regret the purchase not even a week after you put the money down.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A slightly unusual idea: Where you currently put your bed, put instead a double-decker bed, but don't put mattress in the lower bunk, put an upright there instead. Piano bench can straddle across the lower bunk's railing. Sleep on upper bunk. (Or custom build a loft yourself... though I don't imagine woodworking/loft is such a popular idea in Singapore. wink )

R
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
They sell these bunk thingies at Ikea. Except that the Ikea model has a study table under the upper bunk.

J
OP Offline
J
Hmmm... good idea though but i am staying with my bf in his house so maybe he will be against the idea and maybe we cannot find a queen size double decker bed.....

Thanks a lot!
Hoo! Now we are talking about somebody else' house. Does his family members mind you practising on the piano? Have you talk to them about it? An accoustic piano (if you are getting one) can be rather loud for non-piano players.

J
OP Offline
J
hehehe... actually not other people's family. i am staying with my bf. only 2 of us in the house... previously i said i am staying with my family as it does not really make any differnce ( i think staying with bf =staying with family) hehehe.

Thanks a lot!
D
D
One thing that hasn't been addressed here is how your sense of hearing will be affected by an acoustic in a small space. That sound is going to do some bouncing depending on how your walls are constructed and what else you have in the room. I've been doing reading about this lately, as I wanted an acoustic but have the same problem as you with little available space and concrete block walls with no insulation. It was one reason I went with a used digital -- so I could turn down the sound. I plan to move in the next few years if not sooner and will have a room dedicated to an acoustic piano with proper insulation, humidity control, etc. But until then I'm not taking a chance on hearing loss or neighbors complaining about noise.

DL33
Time passes too quickly. Follow your dreams.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission