2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, 12 invisible), 1,853 guests, and 263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 74 1 2 3 4 5 6 73 74
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Thank you so much everyone for replying to this thread. I have learned a great deal about all of you.
you are all such wonderful people!

Oh, and by the way, just in case I forgot to mention it, I am planning on compiling all the personal data gathered here and selling it to direct mail advertisers, spammers, and cold call marketers!....I don't think any of you would mind!....would you?? :p

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
GREAT!

I for one, love getting spam mail..... I have all the time in the world to speak to cold call marketers, too!!!!

Thanks, Super-Hunky!

Sharon laugh

BTW: Is it just me - or what happened to the width of the screen? confused

4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Okay, okay, I'm an idiot, just kidding! keep the great replies coming. thumb

J
J
My, how people go on about themselves!!

Oh, shut up!! I like to hear it too!!

So, me: I'm forty (not THAT old), a chemist who made some very good choices and am now learning to be a piano tech. I come from a musical family (anybody heard of the Delmore Brothers, or are you all too young?), turned down piano scholarships because I didn't want to WORK at music--funny how twenty years changes your outlook. Harrassed my parents into buying a piano when I was in the third grade. Took lessons until my junior year in college--serious classical damage. Now trying to learn lounge lizard/pop/blues/even-some-new-age-maybe.

And I don't care what they say about your pics, Mr. S-H: I think they're cute. A little hairy, maybe...

John Delmore
PTG Associate Member
"You don't have a Soul. You ARE a soul. You have a body."...C.S. Lewis
Bienvenue!: http://louisianaskyline.net/forums/index.php?
Evening all, newbie here, no better time to intro one's self I guess.
36, Stationary Engineer, Married with 2 great kids, 6 year old daughter & 3 year old boy.
Took lessons on and off as kid like many but never stuck with it long enough to learn anything. I've always been interested in learning and since my daughter has been asking the wife and I if she can take lessons, I figure I'll take another stab at it as a kind of father and daughter thing to do.
We'll wait till the fall though cause summer is spent entirely at the cottage and starting lessons this close to summer would be a waste. (It'll give me a chance to put a few bucks away for the Clavinova I like anyway)
Really enjoy this forum. You guys are all very inspirational.
Pretty much decided I'll be giving PianoMagic a try. Formal lessons with a teacher for my daughter.

Forget the Dog...Beware the Kids!
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Joining in...... I'm 48, married for 29 years, 3 kids...actually men now....triplets who turn 25 two weeks from tomorrow on my mother's 75th birthday!! Much celebrating to do!!! One son is married, another getting married in about 6 weeks (in the Dominican!! yippee!! except I'll be without a piano for a whole week...aahh!!) and one still single. And I have a wonderful Golden Retriever who turns 11 next week...she barks to go out the moment I sit at my piano..hmmmmm

No musical genes in my family. My dad THOUGHT he could sing...does that count? I got the piano bug about 6 years ago after a visit with my sister and her then 6 and 8 year old girls who were taking lessons. My first keyboard was a Yamaha 66 keys and I now have a full-sized Roland digital. I started classical lessons about 4 years ago. Would love to have an acoustic but I'd also have to have a sound-proof room to put it in....My husband is supportive of my "habit" but I have to compete with the TV most evenings......

I work full time at a university and most of my day is spent editing print and online material and listening to music!! and wishing I had more time to practice. Our university has a music programme so I get to practice during the day, attend student recitals and take the occasional music class. Not a bad deal!!

I don't have any other hobbies but I'm thinking about oil painting.....maybe when I retire....

It's the journey not the destination..
[Linked Image]

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
This is really turning out to be a great thread! I KNEW there was a pretty special group of folks on this forum, but it's been eye-opening to see the variety of occupations, talents, hobbies, and life experiences. Thanks for starting this, super-hunky!

And 2-thumbs, welcome to the forum! Glad to have you on board. I bet you're going to find it very hard to wait until fall to start up, though. You know, I bet there are places that'll RENT you a keyboard for a couple of months! wink

Hello there, my name is Dave!

I am a huge fan of Coldplay. I will share this with you, since this is a music based forum. I won a contest this past summer to go backstage at Coldplay's show at the DTE Energy Theatre (formerly known as Pine Knob), get a few pieces signed by the band, get a picture taken with them, and even asked the guitarist a few questions in an interview. I had a heck of a time understanding him though! Those British accents!! So hard to undertand in speech!!

I then got to watch the show on stage. I never thought I'd win that contest. It was a logo contest. The link is actually still up as of March 14, 2006

http://www.89xradio.com/mx_coldplay.htm

They spelled my name last name wrong though. It's the breakfast food logo.

Alright, so I thought it'd be fun to learn how to play piano to learn Coldplay songs. They are my favorite band, but I think it would also be fun to simply play an instrument. It's something I've always wanted to do, but never purused. I'm in the middle of looking for a piano and will hopefully find a piano teacher who I am comfortable with in the next couple of weeks or so. I'd also like to be exposed to new music too...classical, jazz, anything that I might enjoy I'm willing to learn.

I must admit, video games have consumed way too much of my life. I have decided to give them up for Lent, and I'm also hoping that when Lent is over, I will be done playing them for good. They have been an addiction of mine for quite some time, and it is actually quite a common addiction...more so among men.it just doesn't have any of the symptoms of a typical addiction such as impairment of motor functions or of the brain.

Instead of hanging out with friends, I would be playing video games. Very anti-social I was in my h.s. years. I did have friends, but there were times when I'd pick video games over them. I have made a new friend in college though. He actually plays the drums. Maybe we can jam sometime. Heh..don't know how that would work out...piano and drums?? :rolleyes: I'm hoping to widen my hobbies, with piano being one. I used to love watching sports, but I'm not quite crazy about them as I used to be...at least not professional..too many greedy, dirty people. I'd rather be playing them.

The idea of piano came before the idea of giving up video games. I'm still afraid to totally let go and I still have the urge to play at times. I should just sell them ALL (extra money for a piano and lessons!! : ), and move on to a new chapter in my life, but I have a hard time at adjusting in life. It's partially biological I think, but I can make it I believe!

I am a freshman in college now, and have no idea what I want to do. Anything else you want to know, just ask.

Suz Offline
Hello, everyone. Like Hunky, I will also be turning 40 this year.

I am a biologist by day, and a freelance violist during the evenings and weekends. Somehow, my parents, who don't play music, made it through three of us learning piano and string instruments without ever once telling us to go to our rooms! We didn't start at the same time, either, so they had years of listening to the same pieces, the same squeaky out-of-tune beginning string sounds.

I started piano when I was 5 with a great teacher. I wound up teaching her granddaughter piano when I went to high school, and still hear from her. Her favorite memory of me is my kicking my little sister at a recital, who was sitting under the piano operating the pedal, because I was too short to reach it. Well, she didn't come in in the right place, lol!

I started viola in the public school program in 6th grade. It is such a big part of my life now. It makes me sad that these programs are being cut from many of the schools.

I moved from Tucson, Arizona to Indiana 17 years ago, and still miss it. I go back to visit my family every year (the traffic has become unbelievable!). I would like to go back permanently after I retire. I just hope I can afford it!

I love to read. My house is filled with books--It's amazing the second level doesn't collapse under the weight. I am a big fan of the Arizona Diamondbacks baseball team, and baseball in general. I live in a 65 year-old house that needs a lot of work. It also needs a better housekeeper!I like to mess around on my folk harp. I like to cook and read books about cooking and food. I enjoy reading car magazines, when I get my hands on one. I like to play the occasional video game, and start the occasional needlework project. Sometimes, I even finish! smile

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
don't know how that would work out...piano and drums??
Hey Dave, all you'd need is a bass player and you'd have a jazz trio. laugh

P
P
I'll jump in here too - I’ve played music almost all my 57 years, started lessons as a kid, my mom made me practice every day. I hated it, she was insistent, she ultimately prevailed – for that, I remain forever grateful. In college I was conflicted between majoring in music and physics; unfortunately both of which were part of the liberal arts department which also required a foreign language for graduation – forget that. This was resolved when a friend informed me that engineering had no such foreign language requirement, so I majored in electrical engineering, taught music privately and giged on the weekends for spending money. During graduate school I took a year off and toured with a show band – lots of fun but a little too crazy – forget that too. Finished grad school, hung my degree in the wall and started playing music in local clubs – that was fun but found the music business itself was not for me – forget that too. Got a day job - started working as an engineer writing software and playing gigs on the weekend. Over the years I’ve been fortunate enough to work with some very fine musicians. These days I’m the accompanist for a girl vocal trio specializing in music from 30s, 40s & 50s – if you really want to see what I look like go to www.thesatindolls.com I also have a jazz piano trio you can hear by downloading http://www.savefile.com/projects/596203 I even wrote a couple of these tunes. We recorded them in my living room, the acoustic piano is a Steinway B. It's nice to have a forum like this, a great wealth of information and some very nice people to share it with - wish I would have found this site a long time ago

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Which one are you, Linda, Eleonore, Patty, or Mike? :p Oh, and on the photos page, there's a guy called Mick. Is he Australian?

P
P
Hi Bob! Which one am I?....well.... I'm not pretty enough, nor do I possess anything that resembles a good enough singing voice to be Linda, Eleonore or Patty.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I'm just catching up in this thread. Wow- what a diverse group!

A few comments, and I'm going to put them all here in this one reply:

Mr. Super-Hunky- what a great idea! It's been fun reading about everyone, and getting to know you all a little bit! Oh, and btw, I was kissed by a llama once a few years back.... laugh

Sharon- an iguana? My oldest daughter has a bearded dragon. I hope your iguana has a better personality than he does!!

Amaiakuyume- what's wrong with bagpipes? I like a good piper! And I can't decide whether or not I like HIM....

Lee- A Motif ES? I'm drooling.... cool

MonsterM&H- Heading for the "dreaded" 50? Hrmph! As Bon Jovi says: "I'm not old, just older..." And a Hemi 'Cuda- nice!

-Mak

1889 Mason & Hamlin screwstringer upright
Kawai MP-4 digital

---------------------------
When life hands you lemons, throw them back and add some of your own. Stupid life.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by IrishMak:
Sharon- an iguana? My oldest daughter has a bearded dragon. I hope your iguana has a better personality than he does!!
Neat. Who takes care of it - probably you.
It's really my daughters iguana - raised as a pup - now my responsibility since everyone else is scared of him. We have an agreement - I let him be and he doesn't bit me. I have to hand feed him greens and bean mixture and fruit (bananas)... he lives in a big cage (habitat)... and the temperature has to be steady at 90 degree Fahrenheit. He's a big responsibility.... but he's an interesting pet. He and my dog are inseparable - except when I have to take Sonny (iggy) out for a "bathy" Twizzle (doggy) goes wild. I think he thinks the iggy is another dog.

Thanks for letting me share this.... I really like my iguana. I'm not the only one out there either - there's a whole community of iguana people - iguana society - they rescue abused iguanas... people buy them and don't know the proper care.......

We didn't choose to have him, my husand just brough home a little sack one day and in it was this little green fellow.... and he grew and he grew and he grew.... and we upgraded the tank, bigger tank... finally, moneky cage (iguana habitat).

I think a bearded dragon is much easier - though I don't know first hand... but at least they are smaller and don't take up much space. Right?

Sharon smile

wow, nice to meet you all.

names gilad,i'm a young man 24, live in south africa and am a pianoholic. i'm finishing my degree in industrial/organisational psychology this year.
been learning piano for 9 months. learned for a few weeks at 9 but my teacher was the wicked witch of the west so i made up an excuse about "soccer practise" to my mom and that was the end of that.
i love watching soccer, eating nice food, and learning new things in life.

Okay, I thought I'd share these with you all.

[Linked Image]

Yes, they don't look too thrilled, but they are humans too, and it was a long day for them waiting in Miami airport with the after effects of Hurrican Katrina. They had literally just gotten there, and Chris Martin actually had no shoes on when this picture was being taken. I think actually no socks on either. Although, I was so nervous and in awe, my memory is fuzzy of the exact details. I'm the one with the blue shirt on in the front.

[Linked Image]

Here is Jonny Buckland. He was very nice, but like I said..those accents are difficult to understand!!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Listen2Coldplay:
Okay, I thought I'd share these with you all.
Very cool! cool

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Sharon-

Actually, Jill is one of the two who have moved out of the house, so the beardie lives with them. We do get to "babysit" when they go on vacation, tho! First time they left him with us, I guess her boyfriend was a wreck- wanted to call every day to check on him!! LOL

Beardies are desert lizards, so his habitat is a bit different- big fish tank with sand and rocks. But he's around 3 feet now, so he's a decent size. He eats motstly greens and meal worms- used to love crickets, but the exoskeleton doesn't agree with his digestive system, so he can't have those anymore. I don't think I'd hand feed Mitch- he would just as soon eat your fingers as his own food! Jill has been bitten; I never have. Tho he and I "bonded" last time he stayed here. His heat lamp got unplugged (probably a cat!) and when I noticed him getting lethargic, I got it plugged back in, but till his tank warmed up, I took him out and let him sit on me. He "cuddled" (as much as a lizard can!!! LOL)- I'm sure it was the body heat.... He's a different pet, that's for sure!

-Mak

1889 Mason & Hamlin screwstringer upright
Kawai MP-4 digital

---------------------------
When life hands you lemons, throw them back and add some of your own. Stupid life.
Just discovered this great thread, hope it's not too late to chime in...
I'm 39 years old, live in Las Vegas but I was born and raised in Germany and lived there for 23 years before moving here. I'm a Police Detective here in town. I have a 3 year old daughter and a husband. Hobbies are Piano, Reading, Cross Stitching.
I started playing Piano 3 months ago and have a teacher. I guess I do well, it's hard to compare yourself to others. Teacher says I sight read very well, so that's good I guess.
Thanks for reading.
Petra

Page 4 of 74 1 2 3 4 5 6 73 74

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,259
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission