2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (clothearednincompo, Carey, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, 12 invisible), 1,853 guests, and 299 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 74 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 73 74
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Listen2Coldplay:
Okay, I thought I'd share these with you all.
Nice pictures! Isn't it great when you get those kind of opportunities? And I've never run into anybody who hasn't been very nice- but then again, I suppose they know it is to their advantage to be nice to their fans! smile

-Mak

1889 Mason & Hamlin screwstringer upright
Kawai MP-4 digital

---------------------------
When life hands you lemons, throw them back and add some of your own. Stupid life.
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Listen2coldplay:

Very kewl pics! I really like their music and have just recently become a big fan after watching their PBS special on tv a few weeks ago.

Their music is kind of similar to tears for fears which I also like.

JeeeZ:

I'm gone for a few days, trying to keep Mrs Fingers out of the hospital, and now I'm four pages behind.

This thread is so ironic, I decided earlier today to PM a few people.

Mr Super Hunky...I knew from your posts you were an injured athlete...till today didn't know which sport

Monica...Knew you were into psych...Didn't know what capacity

Steve, 45, recovering alcoholic (2 1/2 years).
3 years ago, held my soulmate while she died,(heart attack) crawled into the bottle & pain pills for a week, decided I either had to get on with living or get on with dying. So my life really started 3 years ago.
Mary (Mrs Fingers) came into my life 2 1/2 years ago, for the past year an a half she has been disabled. So life is never dull!

In my early 20s (Navy) I visited Mexico, Brazil, Australia, England, Japan, Italy, Israel, Barbados, Philippines, and Diego-Garcia.
Lived in Florida for a year, Hawaii for a year an a half, Florida a year, california year an a half.

I am an Electrician & Certified Welder. Build computers for fun. Own more woodworking tools than Noah. Rebuilt my first piano.Had it for 3 years but worked on it more than played it. Am in the process of rebuilding my 2nd piano. (6'10" Story & Clark) Got it 2 weeks ago, can't wait to get it tuned an then regulate it!!!

Told Mrs Fingers The only SMALL dog we would get would be a Minature Rottweiller, (thought that was a safe statement) she came home with a minature Pincer an said "isn,t this the same"? laugh
Her 18 yr old son lives with us (he makes his own rap) I HATE RAP MUSIC!!! mad
I guess God is teaching me a lesson in patience, tolerance, and Humility.

It's really cool knowing more about all of you

I got to go, Mrs Fingers has cabin fever bad.
she just informed me, if I don't get her out of the house in the next 15 min, I will have a 7' pile of black kindling in the living room!

LeadFingers.....Steve

"The Oxen are slow, but the Earth is patient" Chuen
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Gosh - I know the feeling LeadFingers, go off for a bit and have to do major catch up. Well here goes, I'm 45 and like many others a pianoholic.
I grew up in California but have since moved to Colorado - Denver metro area (since 91). I now call that home. I have 3 boys, 23, 11 & 9. The oldest took a little piano but it wasn't for him, the two youngest are currently taking lessons.
Piano has overwhelmed my other outdoor interests bicycling, skiing and golf, although they still survive as a side line.
I work for a telecom company but did I say my passion is music and since coming back to piano I have started to put my foot in the water of teaching and currently have 3 students I work with in the evenings. I also have started to work with the children's choir at my church, (did I say music has definitely become a passion for me) and I have been exploring other study and music opportunites to broaden my teaching. Oh yeah it definitely has taken over any time I spent on other things.

Cathy

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
What a delight reading the collection of posts from members. Well done, Hunky!!

My first name is Theresa but I go by Terry. I never understood why my mother gave me such a formal name and then always called me Terry. I don’t believe she ever knew herself; guess it just happened!

I will be 53 in June (also my middle name!) and happily married for almost 33 years. We have 3 daughters; one (27) who still resides with us; one (25) who is engaged and working on a masters degree in biotech and lives nearby. Our eldest daughter, a surgical nurse (30) & her husband, uprooted themselves from MA seven years ago right after they were married and settled in a quaint, little town in southwest CO.

My introduction to the piano was through my maternal Italian (Sicilian) grandparents. I can recall my grandmother teaching me how to read the music; doe, rei, me!! My grandfather played the violin, piano, guitar, mandolin and my grandmother sang and played the piano. There was always live entertainment when we visited my grandparents on Sunday afternoons.

I was probably around 7/8 years old when my mother found a piano teacher for me. I remember telling my mother when she picked me up after my lesson that Mrs. Shannon had fallen asleep once again while I was playing!

After a couple of years I started lessons with an older male teacher. He was tough but I believe he provided me with a good background and technique for learning/playing classical music. After a few years I couldn’t handle his strictness and finished with him by the time I was 15.

I always felt I missed out in my youth by not associating myself with others who played the piano or any kind of instrument.

My Mom was my sole support especially in my younger days for staying with my lessons and practicing.

Playing the piano for my own personal enjoyment continued after I married. The first year of marriage my husband purchased a very old small grand for me. I enjoyed what it offered for almost 30 years. I started learning ragtime and loved it.

Later when my Mom retired and became active with a singing group on the Cape I started playing more of the tunes from her era. When I would go to visit her, she would have the music sitting on the spinet waiting for me to play so she could sing along.

I spent a fair amount of time grieving over the loss of my Mom when she passed away quickly from pancreatic cancer at the end of 2003. My father passed away only a few weeks afterwards.

It wasn’t until I found PW that for the first time in my life, I encountered a wonderful group of friends who played the piano. Each member whom I have had the pleasure of meeting and befriending over the last few years has been a treasured gift and has helped me to stay focused with my continued goals at the piano; which is something my Mom would be very pleased to know.

Oh and when I’m not at my office job or learning a new classical piece of muisc at the piano I can sometimes be found sitting at my sewing machine either working on a quilting project or making drapes for myself, family or friends.

We also have 3 stray cats who have shown up in our neighborhood over the last few years and have found their way into our house and I guess our hearts! heart My dh told me 33 years ago that he disliked cats and would never want one in our house.

Some things do change with time!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Not a beginner, but by no means an accomplished pianist, I'll sneak into your forum and present myself. I was born in Norway, on a little island off the west coast. Started piano at 11 under my mother's wings, practicing on our old, birdcage-action Brödr. Hals upright, but rebelled after a couple of weeks and would not follow instructions. And haven't since. Left home at 13 to attend junior high, and practicing became rather sporadic. Entered the workforce at 20 after completion of senior high school and military service,and practice became even more sporadic. Working in the hotel business meant late nights and long days, and looking back on those days, I wonder how I learned to play at all. I also loved travelling, and so far, I have visited 63 countries. And still time to play. Bought my first decent piano, a Yamaha U1 at 26, but I had to keep it at my parent's home since I lived in small quarters when working at the hotel in a town near by. Completed Hotel Management School at 27, and emigrated to California at the age of 28. The Yamaha came with me. It turned out to be well seasoned for the new destination. A new life started, my own house, time to play, it was heaven. No money, as you people in the service business can attest to, but who needs money when one is young and stupid. I got a job at the Beverly Hills Hotel, mingling with the stars and enjoying every moment. And in my spare time I did translation jobs for Berlitz. (I speak 6 languages, often at the same time!) After 8 years in BH, I got the idea to go into the private business, become a butler and work for the rich and famous. The first job took me to Paris and Ibiza for months and months, and in Paris, there was no piano. I forgot my Frühlingsrauschen after one year. But I got to play the lullaby from Rosemary's Baby for Roman Polanski when he came by for dinner. And I have fond memories of early morning breakfast in the kitchen with Ursula Andress. So it wasn't all that bad.
After three years as a nomad, I changed jobs, and after a horrible 14 months in Malibu, I ended up as the Major Domo for one of America's icons. (And I'm still there.) My life has settled down, and I am now very happy in company with my mate "The Management" and an ornery cat. The Yamaha was exchanged for a 5'8" Knabe in 1991, and last year I parted with it to get room for my 5'6" Estonia. My playing has not improved a lot over the years, but 6 professional lessons fifteen years ago tought me a few new tricks. And although Carnegie Hall may wait, I still enjoy playing the piano more than anything else. And that's what counts, isn't it?

Some men are music lovers. Others make love without it.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
My name is Sharon. I'm in my 50s (not saying how far in!) and I live and work in a quiet little resort town. Took piano lessons for about 4 years when I was in high school and then (for many different reasons) didn't play for some 30 odd years. I got a Yammie upright as a gift a couple years ago and started taking lessons again.

Private Piano Teacher
MTNA/NJMTA/SJMTA
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by s54mo827:
..... I have all the time in the world to speak to cold call marketers, too!!!!

Thanks, Super-Hunky!

I usually ask them if they can hold for a minute and then set the phone down and continue on...it's amazing how long they'll hold thumb

Try it...it's fun

Les Koltvedt
Servicing the Greater Atlanta area
www.LKPianos.com
PTG Associate
P
P
Great posts, thanks again to S-H!

I am a yoga and meditation teacher and occasionnaly therapist, and run a training course for Doulas with my wife (who's an expert at that if somebody needs advice! laugh see pianoga\'s website ).

I've got 2 FAB kids aged 4 and 6, and an even "FABBER" wife. I also know where my nearest Lama park is! laugh

I took some piano lessons as a teenager, but it never got me anywhere. I had to play music I didn't like, and most of all never understood anything about what I was doing. I was just taught to practise scales, Hanon, and play classical pieces of a difficulty level between beginner's first steps and novice beginner. I once played a Gymnopedie from Satie at a recital, but nobody in the audience could tell what it was... eek

Although I have always liked the piano, I'd never had fun learning to play. I'm now learning to play by ear with my teacher Michael Anderson (PM) and a lot of assistant teachers! smile . I'm having so much fun I sometimes forget to play!

I'm on a roll!
HI! I’ve enjoyed reading everyone’s posts! I am 36 yrs old and in the legal field. I am married to hubby with 2 adorable kids (6 and 4), lived in Hawaii (10yrs) then moved to Northern CA (23 yrs) and now live in San Diego since 2003.

I look pianos lessons from 5yrs old thru 10yrs old with an evil teacher (She was this tiny women but mean and strict; I was very scared of her!), then quit, played the violin for 2.5 yrs. in middle school. Started taking piano lessons again last July after 25yrs and love it.

Things I love and appreciate: being near the ocean, reading, piano (of course), and classical music.

I really appreciate this forum and visit here whenever I can. There are such wonderful people here who are so encouraging and friendly!

Hello all:

I just turned 37 in January. I spend much of my time running my business which sells many type of wire products (baskets, christmas wreath frames, ceiling wire, baling wire) and fencing in the Portland, Oregon area. My wife and I have no children at this point.

I began playing piano last year on a part time basis, and have moved up to playing nearly every day. I have never had any formal training, as my younger brother got the piano lessons when we were kids. My dad always thought my hands were too big to play piano (I guess the perfect hands are long and slender fingers). Well my hands are still gigantic and I do have to adjust how I play, but I personally think I do great and I love how my music sounds and that is honestly the only thing that counts.

I never really considered myself much of an artist, so that's why I chose to become an engineer and have been in the high tech fields for most of my life. But the piano has opened a new door for me that is hard to explain to other people. It is the first thing I have found outside of electronics that has allowed a "different" form of expression for me, and it has really added beauty to my life. I've never experienced anything like it. And now I also regret not trying on my own to play sooner.

I just purchased an acoustic piano to replace my Yamaha PF500 that I have outgrown. I enjoy computers, electronics and just anything that is high-tech gadgetry. I'm also thinking about submitting a piece to the upcoming Recital if I can figure out how to record from my new acoustic.

Oh almost forgot, my wife and I have 2 cats. Pesto and Sabrina smile

B
B
Hey, Leo -

Check out the hands of Rachmaninoff and Liszt ... I think they did OK! wink

Balladeer

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by pianoga:
I'm having so much fun I sometimes forget to play!
piano -

I think a lot of us "cyber addicts" are in the same boat. Sometimes the lure of the "chat" of it all makes us loose site the clock.

If we can spend 1/2 less on the sites and use that half hour for practice/fun.... we will be mentally healthier for it and have something to show for our efforts - and ahead of the game.

(I'm trying to drum that advice into my own thick skull, so you're not alone on this) :rolleyes:

Fun = will be done
Fun = will be done
Fun = I want to do it!

BTW: fond memories the Gymnopedie confused (how ya pronounce it?)

Peace.
Sharon laugh

P
P
Sharon:
Gym-no-pay-dee

Totally agree, we'd all be such good pianists if we didn't waste our time on these forums!

I'm on a roll!
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by pianoga:
[QB] Sharon:
Gym-no-pay-dee
Got it! wink

Pieter,

BtW: what the heck am I doing back here again (slow day at the office, actually).

I think everything can be done - we just have to budget our time to do everything we want to do.

Moderation is the key.

I don't know if I'd be a better pianinst if I practiced more (probably would - songs would flow a lot easier - less thinking), but I do know that it would make me happy scratching that off my can do list each day. That in turn would give me a better (happier) day overall.

It's deep. Sometimes you have to step back and stop over-analyzing it all. Just do it! But have fun! Sit at the keyboard and do a few grand arpeggios runs.... and before you know it you're a few songs into your can play list.

Any good news on your keyboard?

Sharon smile

A little late to this thread, sorry!

I'm 37, a freelance writer (the benefits are no good, btw!) and owner of a little fiber arts business. I'm married to a recording geek and have two sons, one who plays the violin and one who has just started the piano.

Even though I'd wanted to play the piano forever, I thought I needed to concentrate on my writing. When I was 35, the writing wasn't going so well even *without* the distraction of a time-consuming hobby, so I thought, What the heck. It's been more satisfying and fun than I ever imagined it could be. Recently I stopped my classical lessons to see how I'd fare on my own. I also just ordered Sudnow, and am eagerly awaiting my transformation into hapless cocktail pianist.

That man is richest whose pleasures are the cheapest. - H. D. Thoreau
Originally posted by Monica Kern:
This is really turning out to be a great thread! I KNEW there was a pretty special group of folks on this forum, but it's been eye-opening to see the variety of occupations, talents, hobbies, and life experiences. Thanks for starting this, super-hunky!

And 2-thumbs, welcome to the forum! Glad to have you on board. I bet you're going to find it very hard to wait until fall to start up, though. You know, I bet there are places
that'll RENT you a keyboard for a couple of months! wink
Thanks Monica.
Actually, my wife thinks I'm insane. "How can anyone who doesn't play or even own a piano spend so much time reading about pianos and piano playing?"
I don't have an answer for her, I'm just totally phsyched and can't wait for the fall.
Both my kids will be in school full time this year and as a shift worker I'll have lots of weekdays off to plunk at the keyboard and shoot the breeze with you guys on Piano World. wink
Unfortunately, 500 miles straight north of Toronto Ontario, you ain't rentin' a piano frown
I guess I'll just have to keep playing vicariously through you people until then.
I really enjoy the "recital" stuff where I can hear you guys play and read about peoples level of experience, their learning method and the instruments they play on.
Keep that stuff coming.

Forget the Dog...Beware the Kids!

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by 2-thumbs:
[QUOTE]
Unfortunately, 500 miles straight north of Toronto Ontario, you ain't rentin' a piano :
Hmmm...I'm not giving up that easily. What if you found a LOCAL place that could rent you a keyboard, not a digital piano, but one of those light little keyboards that you could actually stick in your car and move around? There are good keyboards out there with weighted keys that would allow you to get at least somewhat of a head start.

But, if that doesn't prove practical, just think of how much anticipation will have built up by the time fall is here and you can finally get your piano!

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
I just turned 46, married to a wonderful husband for 5.5 years, who taught me about fishing and cars (muscle cars, old Studebakers, race cars, taking me to various hot rod shows, etc). Hey, would he go with me to a piano convention or symphony? No way!

3 stepkids and 2 stepgrandkids, but none living with us.

4 cats and 1 dog. (I'm the cat person, my husband is the dog person). Other interests include photography and sewing.

I was born in Japan, grew up in Hawaii, lived in GA for 3 years, then moved to Oregon in 1995. Worked as an X-ray and MRI Technologist but "retired" 3 years ago to enjoy life more.

We currently live on the Willamette River in the Portland area, but moving in a few months a few miles into the country with more elbow room and cheaper mortgage!!

Tooks lessons for 3.5 years while in high school, then started up again just over 2 years ago with a teacher, but have had to take some breaks due to various life events such neck and shoulder pain, a couple of short bouts with depression, and other distractions that take over one's life!!

I haven't posted or practiced piano in a while because I've had too much going on with my Mom's surgery and recovery, but things are getting better and hope to play soon - my piano was just tuned today so it sounds beautiful!!

I mostly like classical and new age.

P
P
Sharon:
Don't have my piano yet, had some good news yesterday thumb (from Dave at GEM US, he posts around sometimes!). My piano is in the most capable hands and will be back with me shortly. Because it is so new (ie just about not available yet anywhere outside Italy) it's taking a little bit of time but it won't be long!
The positive side is that this gives me plenty of time to work on my can and can't play lists. As soon as I have my piano I will start rolling my arps and pounding my boom chucks with all the impact of a Fazioli grand!
It's deep
So true, but that's why we are PO!! smile

I'm on a roll!
Page 5 of 74 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 73 74

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission