2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
34 members (Erinmarriott, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, busa, 4 invisible), 1,316 guests, and 275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#98390 12/01/08 12:56 PM
Noel249 Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi all,

This 42" piano is available for sale locally and I'm not sure it's a better bet over a Yamaha U1 (around $3K) or a 48" Kawai ($2700-3K).

The seller is asking $2600. Seems high to me.

What should it be going for?

Thanks,
Noel

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
The CE7N was a fine shorter uprt.42"which preceded the CE11 at 44" in the eighties.These were manufactured in the Japanese Hamamatsu factory being superior to the CX series that Kawai assembled and marketed in the states. Whether it is a better bet than the 48" Yamaha or Kawai is contingent on it's condition.Though the CE7N is a quality piano $2600 is high as for it's age even contingent on it being of mint condition.
$1500 is more realistic and even at that is not a steal!. laugh

www.pastperfectpiano.com
Largest selection in the USA
100+Steinway and M&H grands
Warehouse showroom Onsite Restoration
Preowned & Restored
Hailun dlr.818-255-3145
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z8RvhXGKzY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Voo0zumHGgE
Noel249 Offline OP
OP Offline
Thank you very much for that very helpful reply.

$1500 is exactly what I was thinking it might be worth. I need to travel an hour or so each way to see it and didn't even want to do that without a better sense of worth.

You've helped me be better prepared.

Best,
Noel

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hi Noel,

Welcome to the forum ..

I concur with pianobroker.

The CE-7N is a top quality 42" Continental Console with no front legs and it also has a grand piano style lid that can be raised up and propped open with the lid stick. Looks really really nice too, especially in the mahogany cabinet. smile

Have an RPT check it out prior to purchase just to be sure it's A-OK ...

$1500 - $1800 tops, I say.

Let us know what you decide.

Best of luck, smile

Bear

Barry J "Bear" Arnaut ♫
46 Years in the Piano Industry
Retired Kawai/Shigeru Kawai Regional Manager
(My posts and threads are my opinions only)
Noel249 Offline OP
OP Offline
Thank you, Bear.

I will post a follow-up after I'm able to get up to see it.

best,

Noel

Noel249 Offline OP
OP Offline
You know, it occurred to me that with such knowledgeable folk responding to my question, I should provide the full story.

I gave up my piano some years back when my wife and I began some cross-country moves. I purchased a Kurzweil keyboard, which had fairly nice weighted keys, but was never really happy. It just didn't have the right tactile feedback.

After moving from the east coast to New Mexico, then to the west coast and now back to New Mexico, we know we're staying put. So I sold my Kurzweil keyboard in California before moving back to NM, knowing that I could get a piano again.

Cost is an issue. So I started by looking at the fully refurbished Yamaha and Kawai pianos coming out of Japan that look virtually new - links below.

But I also decided to check local ads and found the CE-7N in Mahogany. If it sounds good (will the 42" height limit the bass strings?) and feels good, it's about half the cost of the U1, U2 and Kawai equivalents.

So, am I wrong to even consider that as an option? Should I jump on one of the refurbs that are quite reasonable compared to their new cost?

Thanks for your input.

best,
Noel

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310098268642&ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:US:1123

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=110317220210&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=001

http://bestpianodeals.com/kawaidescreiption.htm

http://www.bestpianodeals.com/u1_upright_pianos

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
As a pianist I personally would buy locally as in a piano one can actually go see and play.You're not planning on flying to Conn. or wherever to try it, plus the long distance move will cost an additional $1000 to get it into your living room."I'm a dealer,I know" These internet dealers in many cases are not piano people. These pianos are just another marketable commodity to them similar to purchasing or buying a DVD player over the net. laugh If you inquired as to whether they checked the repetition threads on these older Yamaha uprts.they would probably respond as in confused If you can obtain this CE7N for $1000-1500 locally,it may be the way to go.If you want to kick your pricepoint up, I'm sure there are gray market Yamaha and Kawai dealers in every major city or garage operation. laugh You might wanna consider some new stuff in your pricepoint Good luck!

www.pastperfectpiano.com
Preowned & Restored
Hailun dlr.818-255-3145
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Noel,

The height of various pianos can sometimes be difficult for a consumer to grasp. Most manufacturers measure the height of their piano by measuring from the flat floor to the very top of the piano. 40", 42", 44", and so forth. Now, if you look at a Kawai CE-7N Continental Console you'll notice that the piano, beside having no front legs, has no casters either due to it's cabinet design. If Kawai had installed 2" casters on the 42" CE-7N it would measure 44". In my opinion, the CE-7N has a very pleasing and more than adequate powerful bass.

I remember one {Un-named brand} manufacturer that had taken their 39" big spinet piano, installed 1" larger casters, and installed a 2" thick false lid then marketed that piano as a 42" console. Unsuspecting consumers bought that model piano instead of a competitor's 39" big spinet because they thought that "bigger is better" and that they were buying a console piano not a big spinet. These consumers could have looked at the piano's action too if they knew what to look for and what the differences between drop or indirect blow actions, full blow actions, and direct blow actions are. All spinets have drop or indirect blow actions.

Anyway, back to your selecting of a good used piano.

Pick your used piano with condition, tone, touch, stability, durability, yearly maintenance costs, longevity, and budget as the deciding factors. In my opinion, it's not a good idea to base your decision on the piano's size.

Best of luck with your search. smile

Cordially,

Bear

Barry J "Bear" Arnaut ♫
Noel249 Offline OP
OP Offline
Thank you both for your very thoughtful replies.

You've given me additional thoughts to consider.

The help is very much appreciated.

Sincerely,

Noel

Noel249 Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi all,

I was able to buy this one for $1400, allowing for the move from Santa Fe to Albuquerque, and tuning:

http://albuquerque.craigslist.org/msg/909519712.html

I really like the action and warm tone.

My other choices would have required buying long-distance.

Thanks again,

Noel

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Noel249:
Hi all,

I was able to buy this one for $1400, allowing for the move from Santa Fe to Albuquerque, and tuning:

http://albuquerque.craigslist.org/msg/909519712.html

I really like the action and warm tone.

My other choices would have required buying long-distance.

Thanks again,

Noel
Hi Noel,

Congrats! Ya dun good! smile

Enjoy your nice looking Kawai CE7-N.

Best,

Bear

Barry J "Bear" Arnaut ♫
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Beautiful piano if I may say so!You know that mahogany finish cost an extra $1000 sometimes over ebony so....it makes the deal even sweeter if you wanted a wood finish originally over black. wink

www.pastperfectpiano.com
Preowned & Restored
Hailun dlr.818-255-3145
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Nice looking piano, congratulations and enjoy!

David

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I'm late to the party, but let me add my congratulations.

I was asked by a friend a year ago to go see an old Kawai that she was considering for her child. My expectations were low. The asking was around what you paid and the piano looked identical to the one in the photo you posted.

The piano played well and sounded really nice. I was surprised and impressed. I have a soft spot for diminutive unassuming verticals that deliver beyond expections.

Will Johnny Come Marching Home?
The fate of the modern wartime soldier
Noel249 Offline OP
OP Offline
Thank you all.

Turandot's reply summed it up for me. I went to see it because of its attractiveness, appropriate size for our current small space, and proximity - there aren't a lot of Yamaha and Kawai uprights to try in Albuquerque.

I was indeed surprised. It needs a serious tuning, but the action is delightful and the tone even, round. I know Yamaha's can be brighter, but this will do very well for me at this time.

My one challenge: it sits low so my thighs are slightly pressed under the keyboard. I'm going to look for oversized glides to place under it, I think.

Best,

Noel

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission