2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
31 members (Burkhard, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, cmoody31, 20/20 Vision, admodios, clothearednincompo, 9 invisible), 1,219 guests, and 325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#983058 09/22/04 09:02 AM
PattyP Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
It’s time to start lesson year # 2 after the summer break. Only problem is, playing the piano(s) together was one of the things my ex-SO and I really had fun doing together. He couldn’t read, but memorized very quickly (if I helped him through something a time or two) and then would blow me away with his sensitivity. I’ve been away from the piano for almost a month now because it was too painful emotionally to try to play. But, as duty and desire calls, I sat down Monday night to start practicing again. Took me 5 minutes sitting on the bench just staring at the fallboard before I could bear to even open it. Another five to get my fingers on the keys and several more before I could make a sound. But, it didn’t take long before the bittersweet sound of music helped ease the pain a bit. So, onward I press to more theory and the joy of playing. But, Pathetique and Clare de Lune with always remind me of him. frown

Patty

A tired dog is a good dog.

Perzina GP-187
Kawai CP209

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
So much good music, so few good men!

Hang in there, PattyP. Time heals all wounds and all those other cliches are trite, but true.

Can you join up with some other pianists (or anything else you enjoy)? I've found it always helped me to stay busy as possible, and start making good non-SO-related memories.

Exercise is also good, because it helps one to fall asleep quickly at night.

Courage!

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
So sorry to hear about your break up.
Music has a healing power. Lots of music has been written during times of sorrow. You can use your emotions to help make beautiful music. I don't know about you, but when I sit down at the piano I can hardly focus on anything else. No matter how stressful my day was, I don't think about it when I'm concentrating on the score in front of me.
Good luck with your lessons.
Jon

"In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity." Albert Einstein
Charles Walter W190 Ebony
K
K
Oh, PattyP, I feel for you. It's very important that you're getting back to playing, though. jdsher is right: music does heal. I have gone through some very hard times, too, lately, and piano has been my best friend. There will be memories... painful sometimes.... but, in playing, you're generating something beautiful that you can make your own. Piano, in and of itself, will never break your heart (personally, I think that may be one reason I love it so much--it will never let me down).

Best wishes-
kat

PattyP Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Thank you for the well wishes and shoulders. I’m managing one day at a time enjoying some “me” time (even though I still miss him terribly).

Nina, I agree with you 100%, busy is good. I finally finished painting my laundry room after a 4 month decorating faux paus! That was a feeling of accomplishment for sure.

Jon, how true, how true. Working on the music and concentrating on theory does help. I still need to force myself back to the piano again though. My first lesson is on Monday and I haven’t even made it through my lesson once in it’s entirety.

Kat, only your 4th post! Welcome to PW! I know you’re right about the music. I have a good support system too. If it weren’t for my 2 dogs, 1 cat, 1 mom and 1 sister I’d be totally wallowing in self-pity and not just dealing with an occasional bout. But “this too shall pass”. It’s just tough getting there.

But, I promise I’ll get in some more practice before lesson time on Monday.

Thanks, gang!

Patty

A tired dog is a good dog.

Perzina GP-187
Kawai CP209

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission