2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
43 members (AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, Carey, danno858, 9 invisible), 1,245 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
I'm going to the store today. We do need to make a decision on what version.

Les Koltvedt
Servicing the Greater Atlanta area
www.LKPianos.com
PTG Associate
Here is the version that I bought recently:
Linus & Lucy (HL.352295)

Dean
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
dk, that's the same as the one I have from the book. The book is just printed a bit smaller making for 4 pages rather than 5. If everyone decides to work on a different version will this still work? Should we all get the same version or are different versions okay?

Dennis
[Linked Image]
flickr

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Originally posted by dvdiva:
Monica, that's the one I have too! It's a transcription by Tom Roed, and it's in the same key, but he adds his own flair to it, extra riffs and jazzy runs. It looks more complicated than the original 8-page one by Guaraldi.
[Grows pale at the phrases "extra riffs and jazzy runs" and "more complicated than the original," and scampers right off to buy a different version.]

Thanks, dvdiva, for clearing that up. Once I located it last night, I took a few minutes to dabble with the right hand, and I was playing stuff I sure didn't remember from the recording! That must be those extra riffs and runs. I definitely do NOT want to learn that one.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Just picked up my copy... the same as dk21208's Linus and Lucy...HL00352295 in A flat the HL00352295 is above the bar code on the back of the score.

Relax Monica/dvdiva.. lets get some color back in Monica's complexion .. it looks a lot easier than what Monica/dvdiva are looking at. (I hope eek )

Les Koltvedt
www.LKPianos.com
PTG Associate

Okay, I just ordered that version. And looking at the sample page, it DOES look quite a bit more do-able than the Roed transcription. Phew! Sheetmusicplus says I won't get it for 4-8 days, though. frown

Just received my Linus and Lucy today. The number y'all quoted matches but mine is 9 pages long? Haven't had a chance to play it yet but can't wait.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
The cover is page one wink Score starts on 2.

Les Koltvedt
www.LKPianos.com
PTG Associate
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Started last night, worked on the first two pages (measures 1-14)…luv the bass part. Fingering seems very do-able. Touched on measures 16-21 and that will take some practice to get my fingers to work, just need to keep the speed down and work on technique. I think I need to get a hold of a recording. If I find one, I’ll post a link.

Anyone else??

Les Koltvedt
www.LKPianos.com
PTG Associate

I'm still in shipping limbo. frown

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I looked at the first 2 pages and alot of the measures are repeated which makes it easier to learn. laugh

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I'm still in shipping limbo
Yeah, me too. It's been 10 days since my order was shipped, and 12 days since it was placed. It's never taken this long before from SheetMusicPlus, but I'm patient.

On the positive side, it's been long enough that I had forgotten what else I had ordered with my Vince. G. music. It will be like Christmas when I get the package. smile

Andrew - Shortcircuit85

If you were not sane, you would never misunderstand this question or the consequences of not comprehending its meaning.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
How appropriate for a piece at least tangentially associated with Christmas. laugh

Dennis
[Linked Image]
flickr

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Whoo Hoo! I Linus and Lucy sheet music just arrived. The box was literally dropped at my feet (cause my piano is right by the door where they deliver packages) while I was playing through my recital piece.

I love getting new music. I bought three books in addition to the Vince G. book so It's just like Christmas!

Andrew - Shortcircuit85

If you were not sane, you would never misunderstand this question or the consequences of not comprehending its meaning.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I'm protesting learning this piece for a number of reasons.

Number 1, Vince G. has passed and frankly, I'm of the opinion that once a musician is gone I think his/her work should become part of the public domain. This is absurd that we should pay others who had nothing to do with its creation.

Number 2, nobody posted the version that we are all to learn. There were links to several places where you could buy the music. Not interested in paying someone for something that should be free.

Number 3, I have no guarantee if any of the transcriptions are the original, even if I wanted to buy one.

Number 4, someone did post the sheet music for the Croatian Rhapsody, so I'll work that instead.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I am missing the point of your post.

you are 1. Not signed up to learn this piece
2. Not making much of an argument

If you don't want to pay for music, fine. Then don't! BUT there is a good reason why material works are copyrighted for an additional 70 years past the death of the composer. It's so their FAMILY can benifit from their work. Why should someone devote their life to composition and music with NO provisions for their family when they pass. Their family should be able to benifit from the fruits of their work, so the law was written to protect 1 generation (i.e. 70 years = avg lifespan).

You could argue by your logic that the state should be able to claim houses as soon as the owner dies. Why not? Their kids didn't work for that house. Why shouldn't it go to the state?

Copyrights were developed to motivate people to work and contribute to society. Their motivation wasn't intended to be providing a service to society, but to provide for themselves and their family. That's why musical copyrights were invented, valid, and wise.

Andrew - Shortcircuit85

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I'm trying to explain why I'm not signed up to learn this piece.

In my opinion, there isn't a good reason why material works are copyrighted for a time after the composer's death. They made enough money off the work when they were alive, it's time for the public at large to benefit and enjoy the work without additional expense. And I'm sure Vince's estate was plenty large for any heirs.

By the way, I worked last week and got a paycheck. And I won't be getting paid after my death for the work I did. Obviously nobody needs to have their children paid as "motivation" to work today.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
By they way... Music isn't work (i.e. time ) it's A work (i.e. property). It doesn't make money itself. It's owners have to sell it and earn their own paycheck. The work you do every week is only worth that week's pay check because you are paid for your time not something you own. You can't get paid after you die, because you can't work (active verb) after you die.

If, on the other hand, you started a business and own it, you shouldn't lose the business just because you die. It should go to heirs. They should be able to keep the property of their parents and choose to sell it if they wish. That business is A work. It's something you made and constructed.

Also, what difference does it make how rich Vince was or how big his estate was? Just because one man is successfull doesn't mean anybody else has a right to limit his wealth in any manner. What about those that aren't rich and could benifit from the laws?

Andrew - Shortcircuit85

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Oh, can you tell I like a good old Political debate?

laugh

On a different note for a sec. I played around with this piece for over an hour (I know, cause I timed it, cause I'm going to log it, cause the Ladies are going down in the practice log challenge smile )

The timing of the bass through me for a loop for the first 30 minutes. I just couldn't get my hands to cooperate to play that melody. After a bit though, it finally came to me, and I started to feel the "pulse" of that part of the piece. Anybody else start the piece yet?

This is going to be a fun challenge. I think, it is going to go alot faster than I was thinking before. That section is pretty repetitive. Learn 10 measures, and you've learned 2-1/2 pages of music.

Andrew - Shortcircuit85

O
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
O
Well I've looked everywhere for my copy and can't find it, so now I have to purchase another copy. mad

What usually happens in these situations is that I'll find my first copy after my second copy arrives. laugh

If that does happen seebechstein, I'll send my first copy to you so that you'll be able to join in the fun. wink

Jeff
[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission