2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
34 members (benkeys, Burkhard, fullerphoto, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, 3 invisible), 1,329 guests, and 278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 202 of 425 1 2 200 201 202 203 204 424 425
M
M
Well, there are many people from Pianists Corner who venture into ABF and post here. But, yes, I agree with you Mati. I recently posted what I thought was a legit question and got torn into pieces. The post LovesChopinTooMuch linked to above was a post written in response to the thread I had started that apparently sparked a big debate.

But, anyway. Chopin and the other composers who have extremely lengthy threads in this Forum should have their own forum. I would probably participate more often in this thread if it were easier to navigate.

I appreciated the attempt to post an index at the beginning, but I realize it would be way too much of an undertaking. AND, how do you keep that up when different angles on the same topic get posted quite frequently.

As far as why not Liszt and Beethoven-well, do they have lengthy threads such as this? Maybe if a certain topics gets to be a certain length it should be created into it's own Forum. Or have a composers forum-where different topics can be posted on all the composers (though it will most likely be on Chopin).

Pardon my naivety, I just don't see why this would be so controversial.

Kathleen-in H.S. I took group piano lessons and one of the girls in the advanced class was learning a Chopin piece-"Revolutionary" and my instructor had her play the runs staccato. Actually, he suggested that for most pieces where there were fast scales. I just remembered it in the Chopin context. He also suggested playing through them in a dotted ryhtmn. slow, slow fast, or fast, fast, slow..if that makes sense.

M
M
Can anyone recommend a good high quality complete set of Chopin's music on CD?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
If we are talking about complete set by one pianist, try getting Vladimir Ashkenazy's - he's the laureate of Chopin International Piano Competition, and also a well known and very good pianist. I think his Chopin is well worth its price - and it's quite a bargain.

http://www.amazon.com/Chopin-The-Pi...mp;s=music&qid=1219869434&sr=8-1

Going for single CDs by different pianists is a tough subject - so many to choose from, and so many great ones! smile

M.

Mateusz Papiernik
https://maticomp.net
"One man can make a difference" - Wilton Knight
Kawai CN21 (digital), Henryk Yamayuri Kawai NX-40 (grand)
S
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
S
Has anyone other than Ashkenazy recorded everything by Chopin?

Oh dang, this seems like a Chopin 101 kind of question that must have come up previously. I guess I'm having a senior moment or something.

Steven

C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
Has anyone other than Ashkenazy recorded everything by Chopin?
I think Idil Biret has, but I don't know if she has a complete CD set.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Artur Rubinstein also made an almost complete set of recordings. I would expect something near complete by Arrau too, but never seen it boxed.

Mateusz Papiernik
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Wow, I see I'm going to have a lot of catching up to do.

As far as I know, Idil Biret did record a complete set of Chopin. I believe there is one other person as well but can't remember.

Elene

L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
The "complete" set that I have by Rubinstein does not include his etudes. Perhaps there is one out there, but I am not aware of it.

I do concur with Mati that Ashkenazy's is
wonderful!!

Thanks for the tip, May10April. I will give it a try.

Kathleen

Chopin’s music is all I need to look into my soul.
I have Idil Beret's recordings from uTorrent.... It's a total of 240 songs.

YOUTUBE VIDS
Currently on: Alfred Book 2, Sonatinas Vol 1 (Gail Lew) and random sheet music from the internet smile
MOST WANTED SHEET MUSIC: Maalaala Mo Kaya, Souvenir de Filipinas - I'd also love to have the ability to play them... laugh
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally posted by loveschopintoomuch:
The "complete" set that I have by Rubinstein does not include his etudes. Perhaps there is one out there, but I am not aware of it.

Rubinstein never recorded the Etudes. It is said he wasn't technically proficient enough.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I second what MaryRose says. My set of Rubinstein's Chopin does not include Etudes either (and Ashkenazy's doesn't have orchestral pieces). He performed with Etudes - not all of them as far as I know - never recorded them though. I believe he was proficient enough to play them well. There are some single etudes unoficially recorded where he sounds proficient enough! He was a very modest man when it came to his pianistic abilities. He often thought he was not ready to master certain pieces, either technically, or musically, and he was quite stubborn to the end with this attitude.

M.

Mateusz Papiernik
S
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
S
Rubinstein recorded some etudes in isolation (including the Trois Nouvelles Etudes), but never the complete set of Opp. 10 and 25.

I could be mistaken, but I don't believe he recorded any of the posthumous polonaises, either. (I don't find the very earliest ones very interesting, but I sure like the three that Fontana published as Op. 71.)

To me, the other most lamentable omissions from Rubinstein's recorded legacy are the Sonata Op. 4 and the Allegro de Concert.

Oh, I almost forgot about the concert pieces. Rubinstein made multiple recordings of the concertos over the years and at least one of the Fantasy on Polish Airs, I don't think he ever did the Op. 2 Variations or the Krakowiak.

Last but not least, the Cello Sonata. On my wish list of dream recordings that never were is a performance by Rubinstein and Piatigorsky.

Steven

I also have Idil Biret's Chopin Complete Piano Music. It's a 15 CD boxed set and like mydnyt I downloaded it. wink It's about 1.4GB. You can also get it from Amazon if you're averse to downloading free music smile

I don't know how it compares to the Ashkenazy set - for one I haven't listened to anywhere near all of it yet, I only just got it. I've heard that Biret is not as strong in the Waltzes, and having listened I'd tend to agree - she seems to interpret the tempo differently from what I'm used to hearing, or some parts at least. But still I can't complain having so much more Chopin to listen to. laugh It was worth... um, every megabyte wink

Balf ♫

Yeah, it definitely was. I'd like to get my hands on other recordings too. So far, I've been watching piano performances on Youtube (not just Chopin). It's kinda hard to look for resources where I live... and that's without thinking about how much it'll cost. I'm hoping to find something good when I visit the US this coming October though.

Any suggestion of what I should look for? smile

YOUTUBE VIDS
Currently on: Alfred Book 2, Sonatinas Vol 1 (Gail Lew) and random sheet music from the internet smile
MOST WANTED SHEET MUSIC: Maalaala Mo Kaya, Souvenir de Filipinas - I'd also love to have the ability to play them... laugh
L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
Balf: Are you saying that you downloaded all that Chopin music for free?? If so, please tell me how and where.

mydnyt: Welcome: I'm sorry to say that stores where you can buy classical music are almost non-existent (at least to my knowledge). I know that Border's Book Store does have quite a nice selection of classical music, and the stores are almost everywhere in the U.S. I hope you have luck finding some Chopin; otherwise, I think the only other options are Amazon and Ebay.

Good Luck. Have a good time.

As far as Rubinstein not including the etudes in his complete "box" set and the reasons he gave, only endear him more to me. Here was a man who played the piano well into his 90's, but he knew his limits and wasn't ashamed or embarrassed to admit them. And it is rather encouraging in a way for the rest of us because there will be music that, no matter how hard we try, we will not be able to perform. For me, it is due to a lack of technique and not sufficient practice. Frustration also plays a big part. I only know that it doesn't get any easier.

At any rate, what Rubinstein does play is wonderful and a better interpreter of Chopin's music will not be found (IMO), of course.

Kathleen

Yes, the Chopin music Balf and I downloaded were for free... I think I posted a link somewhere in this thread.. .maybe in the last page...

You'll need uTorrent or a similar program since it's a torrent file. smile

YOUTUBE VIDS
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Kathleen, just to clarify what mydnyt said. The music is available for free as in "someone put it illegally so you can grab it for free", but not as in "recording company released it for free". What to do next is just a moral issue - one will download, one will not. One will consider it a minor issue, another one will think of it as of stealing. It's grey, if you know what I mean. I just wanted it to be completely clear.

If you would like to buy Idil Biret's collection from official sources, here it is:

http://www.amazon.com/Chopin-Comple...mp;s=music&qid=1220020455&sr=8-1

Priced evenly with Ashkenazy's collection, along with sound samples to listen to.

Best wishes,
M.

Mateusz Papiernik
L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
Thank you, Mati. I do certainly appreciate your clarifying this for me. I have no need or desire to download anything that isn't public domain. Especially anything performed by a classical artist because they don't sell any where near what the pop stars of today do...and most of them have no talent at all.

It has always been one of my pet peeves that people who have given their whole lives to perfect their skill, hours and years and years, reap so little reward in comparison to these one-hit-wonders, who makes millions just because they can strum 3 chords on a guitar and scream or mumble (take your pick).

Did you ever get that DVD?

Regards,
Kathleen

L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
Good Morning All: smile

I'm assuming that Frycek returned safe and sound from her trip to Stephen King land. confused

Just a little FWIW:

A few days ago, my husband and I were watching a really old movie called The Little Girl Who Lived Down the Lane (We lead such an exciting lives, don't we?) Anyhow, much to my utter surprise and delight, Chopin's Piano Concerto #1 was played almost throughout the whole movie (in the background and sometimes a bit louder). In fact, one of the characters asked the other what music she was playing on her turntable. She answered: Chopin's Concerto Number 1. "Ah yes," he replied. "Beautiful."

Now I know you could not go another day without this information. laugh

I've been taking a small break from playing Chopin. Sometimes I just get overwhelmed with all the hard work and dedication it takes to read and play his music. My brain just closes down, and I don't seem to make much progress. Has anyone else gone through this?

But instead of leaving the piano there to gather dust, I've been playing some old standards from the days when music was music and not noise.

Some of the arrangements I have are way too sophicated for me...they're almost as difficult as playing Chopin. In fact, in many cases, Chopin's music seems much easier.

But since I wanted to be able to learn a few of them, I went back to the little theory I know and found I could delete a lot of the "fluff" and still be able to play the melody line with a few chords here and there and perhaps an arpeggio or two to bring in some interest. And now I am hooked. One song, especially, has been haunting me. It's called: The Summer Knows by Michel LeGrand from the movie "The Summer of '42."

My best,
Kathleen

C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
That's a great idea, Kathleen- dropping back momentarily to some easier, more do-able pieces does a lot for morale and it recharges our piano batteries. You will return to Chopin refreshed and ready to take him on all over again! But in the meantime, you are working on pieces that will give you a quicker payoff. It's a good strategy.

And besides, it shows how versatile we are!

Regarding your first point: every time the movie "The Truman Show" comes on (on the movie channels), I have to watch it because the second movement of that 1st concerto is featured in much of the film (and is played in the closing credits- Rubenstein's version).

Page 202 of 425 1 2 200 201 202 203 204 424 425

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission