2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
52 members (Aylin, Barly, brdwyguy, bcalvanese, accordeur, 36251, Bostonmoores, 20/20 Vision, Adam Reynolds, 1200s, 5 invisible), 1,339 guests, and 317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 193 of 425 1 2 191 192 193 194 195 424 425
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
This is quite sweet:

Chopin\'s birthplace

L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
Thank you, MaryRose: It was quite lovely. His birthplace looks as if it has been lovingly taken care of. Not always the case with so many other historical sites, I know it is a tourist place and probably brings in a lot of money, but still it is great to see it has been honored in such a way.

Now please refresh my memory (as it is becoming non-existent), did he move from there when he was still an infant (4 months seems to stick in my mind)? Also is the apartment in Warsaw kept up and also open to the public?

Of course, from your posted video, I played several others from that page. The Girl's (or Maiden's Wish) was charming, and I have the music for it.

And the good news (for me, at least) is that my frustration at not being able to play the C# m nocturne has prompted me to go back to regular lessons. I've come to realize (after all these years) that it is not enough to be able to play the notes correctly with some dynamics. There is a technique that is essential to bring out the full passion of his music. So, off I go to lessons (once again). I am so grateful that my teacher is so kind and understanding.

Thanks again, MaryRose, and I hope all is well with you.

Kathleen

Chopin’s music is all I need to look into my soul.
L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
Good Grief:

How time does fly.

Our wonderful Herhsey will be 40 tomorrow! Just last year he was relieved that he made it through Gershwin but was going to be entering into Chopin's last year. Well, he made it.

As a birthday treat to any of you who would like to see what Hershey looks like in "person," here is a site where a rabbi is interviewing Hershey about his role as Gershwin. There are a few brief clips of other things before you get to the main part. But if you can, hold on...you should hear him play "Embracable You."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKMpMYvCRVE wow

And there are some live scenes of the play also.

Have a very happy and well-deserved birthday, Hershey. Keep well.

Kathleen

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Incredible how Gershwin like, and un Chopin like, Hershey looks in this! Thanks Kathleen.

Happy Birthday Hershey, and may you have many happy returns of the day. xx

L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
I'm so happy that you took the time to look at the clip, MaryRose. Yes, he does look like Gershwin.

I know that I do go on about him perhaps too often, but this man made possible an experience that could never be dreamed of let alone realized. His fans number in the thousands, I am sure...and justly so. Yet he has that charming quality that makes you feel you are very important to him. Although I know this can't possibly be true, it just makes him more dear to me. Sorry, everyone...I know you are all probably yawn ing.

Well enough.

On another note, I read in another post (in the final quotes so many people have) the following: "I am a revolutionary; money means nothing to me." This was attributed to Chopin. Now I have read his book of letters and several other biographies but have never come across this. I'm not saying it isn't true, but we all know that money was important to Chopin not to amass but simply to live. And I believe I read that he had no real sympathy for the Revolution taking place in France. He did have somewhat of an elitist attitude toward the whole thing and did believe in the ruling class, BUT he also believed that people should be treated fairly and with compassion.

Well, now I hope to hear from you "eggheads," (and I use this term with heart ) on the subject. I have often stated I am far from an expert on the subject of Chopin, and, of course, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing. So I await your replies.

Kathleen

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Re "Revolutionary" --I've never come across that statement either, Kathleen, and I've often wondered the same thing.

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
S
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
S
The origin of that "revolutionary" quotation is apparently Arthur Hedley's biography:

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Frederic_Chopin

I don't have a copy of the book, so I can't check if Hedley mentions his source.

I wonder what the context of the statement was, as it seems, on its face, to be so out of character for Chopin—both in describing himself as a revolutionary and having a cavalier attitude toward money.

Chopin did have a sense of humor, though, and I have a feeling that it must have been said with complete irony. If that were the case, it's awfully misleading to lift it out of its humorous context!

Hehe, just this egghead's two cents! wink

Steven

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I don't know the context either but I can't help but wonder if he meant that he was a musical revolutionary (which is surely true) and that he was less concerned with whether his compositions sold a lot of copies than if it expressed his revolutionary ideas about music. This is just a conjecture on my part-- no proof but it might make sense. It is clear, though, that he was very concerned about maintaining a certain lifestyle and keeping up appearances, and needed money to do that..

Steven, I also like your idea of it being said ironically! that would fit too!

Sophia

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
I know Chopin gave a lot of free private performances at the Hotel Lambert (the site of the Polish Revolutionary Government in exile in Paris) that theoretically benefited the Polish cause, aided refugees and the like. Possibly the "Revolutionary" business may have been a spoken remark made in reference to that. It's definitely not from his letters.

[Linked Image]
L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
Thank you, dear eggheads (I must find a different word) smile

Even if the quote was in Hedley's book, it doesn't necessarily mean it's accurate. I use "Chopin Letters" and the book "Chopin: Piano and Teacher" as my bibles, so to speak. I believe in primary sources. After reading so many conflicting "facts" about Chopin from so many authors, I tend not to put much credence into any of them.

Steven: You do have a point in that it might have been an ironic statement, knowing a bit about Chopin's sense of humor.

Sophial: I never got the impression that Chopin set out to be a revolutionary composer. By that I mean I don't think he sat down one day and said to himself: "Now I am going to create something that is truly different and before its time." I believe he just composed what was in his head and heart.

Where did Hedley get this quotation is what I'd like to know.

But I love this quotation from Oscar Wilde:

After playing Chopin, I feel as if I had been weeping over sins that I had never committed, and mourning over tragedies that were not my own."
Oscar Wilde, 1891

Thanks all,
Kathleen

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
It's difficult to imagine Chopin saying that "revolutionary" line, but I suppose stranger things have happened.

Even if he had not had a socially conservative bent, Chopin would still have needed wealthy customers for sheer survival.

One useful thing about this Wiki article is that if you click on the photo of him to enlarge it, you get a much clearer view than is usual in most reproductions. And the suffering is palpable.

By the way, I think of myself not as an egghead, but as a nerd.

Elene
(Music Nerd and Elitist Intellectual)

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Elene:
By the way, I think of myself not as an egghead, but as a nerd.

Elene
(Music Nerd and Elitist Intellectual)
And I'm just an obsessive/compulsive with the bit between my teeth. wink

[Linked Image]
S
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
S
It was suggested recently in another thread that the terms nerd and geek aren't au courant, but I think they're timeless—and either one works for me!

What about "poindexter"? That's not something you hear every day! laugh

Steven

L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
Elene: You are so right about the photo really showing the extent of Chopin's illness. His lips, especially, show that he had a breathing problem. I know Frycek can point out additional details.

Steven: Maybe the reason why those terms (nerd and geek) aren't in use so much nowadays is because we have so few of them. laugh Boy, I thought Poindexter was a real name! confused

Frycek: That obsessive/compulsiveness almost disappears by the age of 65 or so. It just gets up and goes because the energy to maintain it is sorely lacking. And that bit has become very rusty as a result. wink

We've all heard of brainiacs....what about Chopiniacs? :p Pronounced: Sho PAN ee acks!

I think I like it.

Kathleen

L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
Does anyone know if Chopin ever visited Versailles? Again, I don't recall reading about the possibility.

Kathleen

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I've never heard a specific reference to Chopin visiting Versailles, but it seems likely that he would have done so at some point.

I think of nerds as more socially competent than geeks, but I have no idea whether that is an official distinction or not. That is, you'd be more likely to want to date a nerd than a geek. But both are intellectuals who are full of specialized knowlege.

Could Chopin have been considered a nerd? Too stylish and popular, perhaps.

I had never thought of Wilde as playing the piano, but there's no reason he wouldn't have, I guess.

Elene

L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
Elene:

Considering that Oscar Wilde came from such an affluent family, it seems reasonable that he may have taken piano lessons at some time or another.

When I was in high school (an eon ago), I would have been happy to date either a nerd or a geek because I was afraid of the "hoods" (ala "Grease"), and the "big men on campus" were dating the cheerleaders or the prom queens, and the regular guys wouldn't have given me a second look, make that a first look.

Chopin had so many friends and good acquaintances that I believe he would fit into that "big men on campus" category. He was quite selective in his choices and most, even all, were people who were either artists like himself or his fellow countrymen. Throw in a few very rich people also.

I decided upon another piece to learn. I got 1/3 of the way through the E minor nocturne, Op. 72, #1 and decided that that LH with the broken chords was going to be my downfall, at least for a while.

So I went looking for another grade 7 piece and came across the soulful (aren't they all?) nocturne in G minor, Op. 37, #1. It doesn't have any broken chords in the LH (hurray) and is quite lovely. But when I read Bailie's decription of it, and I quote: "This is one of the easier (should be easiest, tsk, tsk) Nocturnes.... Unforunately, it is also one of the least lovable. Chopin seems merely to be 'going through the motions here...'" it lead me to believe that this woman has a tin ear.

Here is a a young man playing it quite well, I think.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=EUexH3aijy4

Which raises another point to ponder. I know not all Chopin's works are masterpieces, but I can't think of him as ever going through the motions. Even when he was quite ill or in a hurry to compose something for his publishers, I do believe he took as much care as was humanly possible with everything he wrote (considering the cirumstances at the time).

What do you think?

Kathleen

S
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
S
Originally posted by loveschopintoomuch:
I know not all Chopin's works are masterpieces, but I can't think of him as ever going through the motions. Even when he was quite ill or in a hurry to compose something for his publishers, I do believe he took as much care as was humanly possible with everything he wrote (considering the cirumstances at the time).

What do you think?
When I first read this, nothing at all came to mind. (After all, I love even the Sonata Op. 4!)

I was startled when, in a thread called Gem piano pieces , the OP mentioned the Rondo Op. 16. I didn't know anyone thought of it that way; I realized that (for me, anyway) this piece probably comes closest to "going through the motions"—though maybe I just missing something there. (I do like the Rondos Op. 1 and Op. 5, after all.)

Of everything published in Chopin's lifetime (it doesn't seem fair to include posthumous pieces in this discussion), I think the Variations Op. 12 are pretty insubstantial, too.

Still, I do believe Chopin "took as much care as was humanly possible with everything he wrote"—even the pieces that seem to have less to say musically—so maybe even those cannot qualify as merely going through the motions according to this definition.

BTW, Kathleen: I'm sorry that you've set aside the Op. 72 Nocturne, but I feared it might happen when I read your "left foot" post in the Teachers' Forum. As you've described regulation issues with your piano, I wonder how much that's a factor in limiting your dynamic control. (It might not be technique-related at all, so don't be too hard on yourself!)

Steven

L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
Hi Steven:

Thanks for your kind words about my technique. I do have to admit that my piano (the grand) does mess me up (for what of a better phrase) many times. It seems the spaces between the keys are getting wider (is that possible?), and I often get the tips of my fingernails (and they are not long) caught, which certainly doesn't help while trying to perform a 35 note run.

Whereas on my digital, I am able to perform wonderful trills and the runs come much easier.

I did not want to give up on the Op. 72 nocturne (I hate giving up on anything...stubborn, I guess). I plan on returning to it in a month or so.

Also, I am ashamed to admit that I've never listened to Chopin's rondos or variations. I will put them on my iPod today.

Would you believe (horrors!) that I am just polishing a New Age piece that was originally played by Monica a few recitals ago? It's called "Overcome" by David Nevue. It is ALL broken chords in both hands, over and over and over again. I thought it quite lovely when I first heard it, and I still like it. But compared to ANY Chopin piece, it's fluff. Funny, but everytime I practice it, my husband finds some excuse to interupt me (he never does otherwise). But it's good practice for legato.

I heard another New Age piece called "Lilium." I think it's from a series of video games. I'd like to get the music for that one. It is quite haunting.

My best to you, Steven. I hope all is going well.

Kathleen

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Kathleen wrote:
Sophial: I never got the impression that Chopin set out to be a revolutionary composer. By that I mean I don't think he sat down one day and said to himself: "Now I am going to create something that is truly different and before its time." I believe he just composed what was in his head and heart.

While that may be quite true, I do think he recognized that what he was composing from his head and heart was a departure in many ways from the past, although it of course was informed by those composers he deeply loved and admired such as Bach and Mozart.

On the other hand, it would be wonderful if he meant it as a joke too-- a bit of irony at his own expense, tossed off lightly, perhaps.

On a totally different note, have any of you read "Genius of the Piano" by Alan Kogosowski? if so what do you think of it?

Sophia

Page 193 of 425 1 2 191 192 193 194 195 424 425

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission