2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, busa, ChickenBrother, Barly, 1957, 10 invisible), 2,048 guests, and 308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 277 of 425 1 2 275 276 277 278 279 424 425
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
I said, "one thing," not necessarily the dominent thing. You'd think with French and German to choose from they'd be perfomed more often.

BTW I've got a book of popular Polish folksongs (in English). There are several in the book attributed to Chopin (with watered down accompaniments) so unless the editors felt they had to pay tribute to a Polish cultural icon, they appear to be a bit more appreciated in Poland.

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
S
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by -Frycek
I said, "one thing," not necessarily the dominent thing....

Dang, so you did. It was the "painfully obvious" reason that caught my attention, and I overlooked that you left open the possibility that there were other ones, too. My apologies!

Steven

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Perhaps these bits from the National Edition of the songs will shed a tiny bit of light on the problems related to their publication and dissemination. Or perhaps add more confusion:

“… please add yes or no in answer to the question that I will pose you: was it you who composed this? ‘Were I the glorious sun in the heaven, then to thee my light all should be given,” I received it in the last few days, and I dare not sing it, as I am afraid that, if it is yours, it might be entirely altered, like “Before the Battle” [“Wojak”], for example.”
–Maria Wodzińska to Chopin, September 1835

“Chopin wants one day to publish together his entire collection of songs and so keeps everything he has done suppressed.” –Stefan Witwicki to his sister, 1843

“Thus Chopin created in his prime, from 1832 to 1844, a considerable number of melodies, the greater part of which, unfortunately, perished. In moments of heartfelt effusion he confined himself to declaiming them with intonation and piano accompaniment, with the book of poetry in front of him; – but he continually postponed the moment of writing them out, despite our entreaties and insistence*. Illness and death befell him; and those artistic treasures now live only in the blissful recollections of a handful of his privileged friends.”
–Juljan Fontana, from the first edition of the songs, 1859

I do think that the Polish lyrics have been daunting to singers and publishers in other parts of the world. However, if a person can sing in one foreign language, why not another? (Well, there are reasons not to want to sing in consonant-heavy Polish.) The existence of the German translations is rather galling to me; if anything, they should have been in French! The German-speaking countries were less than friendly to Chopin, after all. And in the Schirmer edition, the English versions were clearly translated from the German, not the Polish, further disconnecting them from their actual meaning. It’s hard to imagine that there was not a single Polish person anywhere to be found who could have handled this job.

At any rate, until I heard them with the Polish lyrics, the songs mostly seemed rather inadequate to me. Somehow the correct lyrics made them snap into perspective and allowed me to appreciate them.

Some of the songs as we know them were put together from sketches and bits and pieces, and are not necessarily as perfectly finished as the composer might have wanted them. Some are simple “artificial folk songs.” Only a few are more substantial. I could conjecture that heavy-duty singers didn’t want to program them on their recitals, etc., because there didn’t seem to be enough to sink their teeth into. I don’t know. We’re told that the songs were always around in Poland from Chopin’s lifetime onward, yet there was no Polish edition extant for so many years (as far as I know).

There are some awkward octave jumps (in “Wiosna,” “Nie ma czego trzeba,” and “Dwojaki koniec”) that could possibly turn a singer off. They certainly give me fits, but then my voice is not very functional at this point. I was wondering if these are in any way characteristic of Polish folk music. I should know, but I don’t.

*Obviously he needed a MIDI keyboard and one of those notation programs.

Elene

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Elene
In moments of heartfelt effusion he confined himself to declaiming them with intonation and piano accompaniment, with the book of poetry in front of him...

Thank you for these fascinating quotations, Elene. What do you think is meant by the above? Do you suppose he spoke the words rather than sang?

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Personally, I think he sang. Even I can't keep myself from singing or humming whatever I'm practicing. How could someone as musical as he was merely speak when there was music to be sung?

[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
The National Edition gives both Polish and English for those quotes, so I looked at what Fontana actually said. It's pretty much the same as the translation: "...na deklamowaniu ich z intonacja...." My dictionary doesn't add any further enlightenment. But I think "declaiming with intonation" would imply words and a tune. He was probably singing softly, to whatever degree his throat would allow.

Elene

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Kathleen, Frycek, MaryRose, Elene, Steven, friends,

I want to offer a profuse and sincere apology to all of you as well to all others involved for the absence of the www.chopinrecital.org site. The provider has made some changes without our consent, and I've been running ragged these last two weeks and unable to follow up on this matter.

Upon verification, the files are still present, but the site is inaccessible at the moment from the outside world. I want to assure all of you that this issue is in my to-do queue.

With humble admiration for all of you,

Greg

http://www.ecital.net
Wikicital: A collaborative effort to build a knowledgebase of classical music history combined with examples. Your chance to both perform and write...

Don't click here!
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
He was probably singing softly, to whatever degree his throat would allow.

Elene

I know from personal experience that even when the capacity is gone, the impulse remains.

[Linked Image]
L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
I agree with Frycek. Chopin always told his students to sing, sing and sing. And I believe he was told that he missed his calling when he played the organ, sang and acted, as a teen.

I imagine he had a deep and resonant voice.

And, of course, there is always the reason...why did he write so many songs if he didn't have the ability and desire to sing them?

Kathleen

Chopin’s music is all I need to look into my soul.
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by loveschopintoomuch

I imagine he had a deep and resonant voice.

Kathleen

The only description I've ever heard of Chopin's speech was that his voice was low and husky, that he customarily spoke softly and that his French was fluent but heavily accented.

[Linked Image]
L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
He may have spoke French fluently, but he certainly couldn't write it well. I always get a kick out of reading how angry he would get with people who couldn't spell so many Polish words/name correctly, but he, himself, didn't seem to think it that important to write French correctly. A genius trait, I believe. No patience with the mundane in life.

Kathleen

L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
Oh, again with Hershey (enough already, I know). wink

He was nominated for the Ovation Award yesterday for his Beethoven at the Geffen Theater in CA. I hope he wins. thumb

Kathleen

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Gerg, these things happen….

With the persistent irritation of his throat, Chopin’s voice must indeed have been husky. With the lack of lung Qi to push it, it must have been quiet. He was a small person so probably didn’t have a very deep voice to begin with, but the voice doesn’t always match the body, so who knows.

I may have mentioned before that my Polish friend here is a stickler for others getting the pronunciation of Polish names exactly right, but with her 8-foot-thick accent she never really pronounces ANYTHING right in English, and says she can’t tell the difference. Though her speech is extremely educated and erudite. She can spell perfectly, though.

French is actually a much more difficult language for spelling than Polish. I don’t think that’s a good excuse, though, especially when it comes to getting names right.

Elene

J
J
The National Edition gives both Polish and English for those quotes, so I looked at what Fontana actually said. It's pretty much the same as the translation: "...na deklamowaniu ich z intonacja...." My dictionary doesn't add any further enlightenment. But I think "declaiming with intonation" would imply words and a tune. He was probably singing softly, to whatever degree his throat would allow.

Elene

My guess is that this refers to something like what we refer to as Sprechstimme in Schoenberg's music. Schoenberg's practice, we know, derives from the kind of sing-songy delivery that was common among the great actors of the late 19th century (I believe one can hear recordings of the likes of Sarah Bernhardt doing this). So rather than "singing," Chopin may have been speaking the parts with exaggerated variations in pitch and dynamics, in a way that approached "song" without fully becoming lyrical.

Jeff Kallberg

L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
Hi Greg:

Having almost gone bald with pulling my hair out on so many occasions dealing with computers/programs/software/code and the like, I empathize with you completely. And we certainly appreciate your taking so much time and effort into getting the chopinrecital up and running. Please don't worry yourself sick over it. Things always have a way of working out. smile

Take care,
Kathleen

L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
Dear Dr. Kallberg:

Could this sing-songy delivery possibly have given birth to the hammy delivery that we see in so many old movies? laugh

Kathleen

Last edited by loveschopintoomuch; 12/03/09 02:29 PM.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Jeff Kallberg
......My guess is that this refers to something like what we refer to as Sprechstimme in Schoenberg's music. Schoenberg's practice, we know, derives from the kind of sing-songy delivery that was common among the great actors of the late 19th century .....So rather than "singing," Chopin may have been speaking the parts with exaggerated variations in pitch and dynamics, in a way that approached "song" without fully becoming lyrical....

First of all let me say I'm thrilled to see you on this site!!
And let me wonder.....would this perhaps have put Chopin on the forefront of that? I don't mean, did he "invent" something like Sprechstimme, but as per what you say, that kind of delivery probably wasn't common till after his time.

J
J
Originally Posted by loveschopintoomuch
Dear Dr. Kallberg:

Could this sing-songy delivery possibly have given birth to the hammy delivery that we see in so many old movies? laugh

Kathleen

Dear Kathleen: Probably so, though I can't really claim any authority on this topic!

Here's a YouTube clip where you can hear Sarah Bernhardt declaiming; at times it sounds to me almost like song:

Bernhardt - La Samaritaine

Jeff Kallberg

J
J
Originally Posted by MarkCannon
Originally Posted by Jeff Kallberg
......My guess is that this refers to something like what we refer to as Sprechstimme in Schoenberg's music. Schoenberg's practice, we know, derives from the kind of sing-songy delivery that was common among the great actors of the late 19th century .....So rather than "singing," Chopin may have been speaking the parts with exaggerated variations in pitch and dynamics, in a way that approached "song" without fully becoming lyrical....

First of all let me say I'm thrilled to see you on this site!!
And let me wonder.....would this perhaps have put Chopin on the forefront of that? I don't mean, did he "invent" something like Sprechstimme, but as per what you say, that kind of delivery probably wasn't common till after his time.

Again, I'm out of my depth here, but I think I've read that this style of declaiming went back at least as far as the 18th century. So I doubt Chopin was leading the way in this area.

Jeff Kallberg

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I was rather enjoying the image of Chopin crooning to himself by candlelight.

Frycek, I forgot to ask: what are the Polish folk songs attributed to Chopin in that book?

Elene

Page 277 of 425 1 2 275 276 277 278 279 424 425

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission