2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
48 members (BillS728, anotherscott, AlkansBookcase, Carey, Dfrankjazz, danno858, CharlesXX, bcalvanese, 8 invisible), 2,073 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 425 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 424 425
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Here's a link to more about The Strange Case of Delphina Potocka and Fred the Welshman.

http://www.jessicaduchen.co.uk/pdfs/guardian-pdfs/1999/10-9-99-sexand_chopin.pdf.

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
S
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
S
Originally posted by maryrose:
If you want to laugh at absurdities, and can control yourself from going to strangle the author (about whom I can tell you more if you want) - have you seen this "essay"?
http://www.musicweb.uk.net/classrev/2002/Dec02/Chopin_Wright.htm
I guess we're expected to overlook the fact that the author doesn't even attempt to prove or justify his thesis statement, namely that "Chopin is not a great composer." Instead, virtually this entire piece is a mean-spirited attack on Chopin's character and personality -- right up to the conclusion, where the author reasserts that "Chopin was not a great composer by any means." Where are Chopin's merits as a composer connected to his alleged traits and flaws?

They aren't, of course, because no conclusion can be drawn about anyone's accomplishments from his or her foibles. This author just seeks to manipulate his audience by trying to induce dislike for Chopin the man; he wants to create a justification for sharing his disdain for Chopin the composer. Obviously, he is so rankled by Chopin's supposed antisemitism that he simply wants to destroy him. That motive is so transparent, and the tactics so brazen, that all the vitriol comes off as a rather pathetic "doth protest too much."

I never thought I would find lifelong lechery toward women and homosexual tendencies imputed to our Chopin in the very same essay! How did he ever find time to compose? And how, too, could such a libertine be described by credible biographers as chaste to the point of asexuality? Peter Katin must have been mortified that this vicious garbage was dedicated to him. At least I hope he was. :rolleyes:

I am so thankful to scholars like Eleanor Bailie, Alan Walker and Jim Samson for their thoughtful analyses of Chopin's musical landscape. Their words are so much more interesting than tedious ad hominem attacks that positively reek of a biased author's desperate agenda. If we want insight into Chopin's mind, we can certainly read Chopin's Letters for ourselves and draw our own conclusions.

On the topic of books about Chopin, has anyone here read Chopin's Funeral by Benita Eisler? I have not (yet), and mention it just because it was published fairly recently (2003).

M
M
OK I don't know what call waiting music (music you hear when put on hold by a friend etc. who answers another call) in the US but in Australia it's always Chopin's waltz in A minor - Op. 34 no. 2.

Anyway I still can't believe Telstra (phone company) managed to destroy such a beautiful piece. The sound quality is muffled and crackley.

Worst of all they play only a small section over and over again ignoring the wonderful progression of the song. mad

Maybe I should write them a letter saying "Look I'm so glad you chose this song for call waiting BUT..." laugh laugh

M
M
"Chopin is not a great composer. In fact, he is very limited."

Well, one can stop right there and read no further. Anyone who has listened to any of Chopin's works will by now be rolling around on the floor laughing." wink

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Maryrose:

I am a little puzzled with this article, what kind of motives does the author have, why does he want to bring this disgrace on Chopin ? If he does not like his music why can't he just ignore it.

I have not read much about Chopin, I just like his music. But even if this had been the only essay I had read I think I would have problems not liking him. I do not find it a surprise that an unmarried man would have wished for a loving wife, and I can not see why it should make him less of a composer.

About the concerts, I heard the beautiful E minor concert live this spring persuasively played by a Norwegian pianist, HÃ¥vard Gimse. I did not miss more of the orchestra for one second, but I kept thinking that this music has a lot rhytmic figures that to me seems more like jazz than classical music.

BTW, how to measure the greatness of a composer ?

Ragnhild

Trying to play the piano:
http://www.box.net/public/dbr23ll03e
L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
From MountainAsh

Chopin is not a great composer. In fact, he is very limited."
I have to admit my jaw dropped (almost to the floor) while reading some of the ludicrous, atrocious completely bizzare comments made by this man.

Everyone is entitled to his/her opinion, but I wonder how this person came to his.

Is this man Jewish? If so, I can understand his hateful remarks, for Chopin...it is true, did not like Jewish people. As is so often the case with such feelings of racism and prejudice, Chopin distrusted Jews because he felt they were not honest with him and even tried to deceive him as to the value of his compositions. THIS IS NO EXCUSE for his discrimination, for he was painting the whole Jewish race with a broad brush just because he had some unpleasant dealings with one or two of them. This is to his shame.

Chopin disliked a lot of things and a lot of people. This could and probably was the result of his feelings of insecurity. As with almost every genius, his ego was fragile and delicate. And because he had to compete (for a living) with so many other composers of his time, he thought by dismissing their greatness, he could elevate his own.

Basically, IMO, Chopin was a child emotionally. He wanted to be cared for, but at the same time, he wanted his independence to make his own decisions and live his life his way. One can hardly blame him for wanting to revert back to childhood because those days were the happiest of his life.

To say he was an enigma or a paradox is an understatement!

The only two things about the essay that I agreed with were his statements about Jan Stirling. She was a wonderful woman and more than generous and kind to Chopin. I have often wondered how different his life would have been had he met her before George Sand. I think he would have lived longer and would have been happier. But Chopin couldn't possibly think of marrying her because, in his own words, he was closer to the deathbed than the marriage bed. He was very grateful to Jan and her sister, but because of all the fussing and hovering, they did get on his nerves. He was in a lot of pain most of the time during this period, and his moods were a reflection of his despair and depression. It's hard to be "nice" when knowing that death is knocking at your door.

As a personal aside...from the age of 18 to 21, I was almost in constant pain from a kidney problem (which eventually had to be removed). And I can remember how crabby and unkind I was to those who tried to comfort me.

And the writer of this essay had to admit that the second movement of Chopin's concerto in F was the most beautiful music Chopin wrote. And the fact that Chopin wrote this at the tender age of 19 only proves his genius.

On the subject of Chopin perverted attitude toward woman, well, like someone else said...I had to laugh. Nothing could be further from the truth. As far as Chopin having homosexual tendencies...there has never been anything in his life that has firmly supported this belief.

All in all, I believe this essay was written to provoke people and to gain the author some attention. He obviously did no research into Chopin's life, but simply chose to turn fiction into fact.

And I, too, wonder just how much of Chopin's music he has listened to. Even my husband (who is far from a classical music fan and NEVER says anything after I have played a Chopin recording) just recently said: "That music is really something."

This essay is pitiful and the writer is even more so.

Kathleen

Chopin’s music is all I need to look into my soul.
I
ilm Offline
I
I absolutely love Chopin's music.

Are you all able to play his pieces and have the hand reach all his notes in some of his chords? That is the frustration for me - my hands aren't big enough to play all the notes in some of his chords.

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
One of my prior defenses of Chopin:

Guys, you have to remember what academia is. In order to be taken seriously you have to some up with something different. Right now the fashionable thing is "deconstruction" and it's Chopin's turn. I confess. I'm in the process of researching for a novel on Chopin so I've turned into a bit of an expert on the man if not the musician. The most unfair accusation of him is turning him into a raving antisemite. He wasn't. In that respect he was an average early 19th century Pole. The antisemites of his era were doing nasty things like writing "The Protocol of the Elders of Zion." In his time, Polish Jews were not regarded as Poles, they were regarded as Jews. Being Jewish was considered as more of a nationality than a religion. I don't know about the attitude of today's Poles, but today's Russians take the same attitude. My best friend is a very cultured, highly educated woman (two Phd's and an MD) from St Petersburg whose attitude I have simply learned to ignore. Chopin regarded Jews as sharp but honest businessmen with a certain amount of grudging respect. His publishers were almost all Jewish and he had issues with them (with reason), not so much as Jews but as sharp businessmen. He once remarked to Fontana that if he was going to be dealing with "Jews" please at least deal with REAL ones, as he was more likely to get paid. He also admired Jewish music and played it so well that he was once offered a gig at a Jewish wedding. He did once take issue when someone billed "Jewish" music as "Polish" music as he regarded them as two separate entities with different characteristics and origins. As for the Russians... This was the same guy that was repeatedly dragged out of bed as a boy to go play for the Tsar's brother Konstantine The Madman in the middle of the night. Incredibly enough he managed to develop as certain amount of grudging affection for Konstantine and wrote a march for him. This is also the same man who had a nervous breakdown imaging Russian soldiers trampling his little sister's grave. So you might say he feelings toward the Russians were mixed. He did turn down an offer to become the tsar's court composer. It was made at a time when he could have really used the work. He reply was unequivocal and very dignified. He say that though his health had not permitted him to take part in the November uprising, he was totally in sympathy with the goals of the rebels, considered himself as guilty as any of them, shared their exile, and therefore the acceptance of such an appointment would be inappropriate. Chopin was above all a realist, not an ideologue. He was far more interested in individuals than politics. He was a survivor interested in surviving long enough to be true to his music. He and George Sand had real issues over this. She regard him as far too passive. He regarded himself as a man with one great gift and it wasn't for political activism. Regarding Beethoven, he must not have hated him too much. It was probably more a matter his music not being really to his taste. Chopin did use some Beethoven pieces with his students and he did buy a Beethoven score for his favorite student as a reward after an outstanding performance. AS for lack of orchestral composition... He just wasn't interested. The concerto was literally written as an assignment for the Conservatory. As for disloyalty... He lost the love of his life because he refused to accede to George Sand's demands that he turn his back on her pregnant destitute daughter, whom he regarded as his daughter as well. "She has no one left but me." As for his character, you must remember that those who described him as charming, funny, etc were his contemporaries who actually KNEW him, not distant biographers ready to put a negative construction on the slightest ambiguity in order to gain academic credibility.
Enough of my soapbox - - I'm sure a few of you now have issues with ME. As for Beethoven, I think the guy just needed more loving and a good backrub. [QUOTE]

[Linked Image]
L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
Wow!! Thank you Frycek. We can always count on you for giving us a true picture of our "hero."

You certainly know much more than I about his life even though I've read several biographies about him. I am always amazed at the range and depth of your knowledge; and I stand corrected about Chopin's atttitude towards Jews. The books I've read did not go into as much detail as you about the Chopin's real opinion of them.

to ilikemozart: Good for you for liking Mozart. Chopin did also but he admired Bach more so.

And no....we don't all know how to play all of Chopin's music. If we did, we wouldn't be posting on this forum but touring the world with our unbelievable talent. But, and I think I can speak for many of us, we would absolutely LOVE to be able to. And some of us are striving to add more of this music to our repertoire even though, as you mentioned, it seems impossible to handle at times. But the more of it you can play, the easier it does "seem" to become. Well, almost!

Sotto Voce: I did read "Chopin's Funeral." It was O.K. True to the facts with no obvious opinion of the author apparent.

Kathleen

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
I was so astounded by Dr David Wright's article that I searched for some more info on him and have concluded that he judges composers mainly on their perceived sexual behaviour. He has written a whole lot of drivel on various composers! For example, he loathes Benjamin Britten - I think for being gay and also for farting too much! He seems to be some sort of fundamentalist Christian.

The funniest thing of all is part of an autobiography he wrote. It is so unselfconsciously ludicrous. If he hadn't been utterly unreasonable about Chopin I would feel sorry for him.

For more laughs, go to:

http://www.musicweb.uk.net/wright/rain1.htm

I thought the most unfair assumption of all was that Chopin must have been a womaniser at the age of eight because he dedicated an early Polonaise to a countess!!

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Sotto Voce - nice to "hear your voice" again :-)

I totally agree with what you say, as seems to be my habit. I have the Walker anthology and various Samson works about Chopin - excellent. I like your phrase "Chopin's musical landscape." I must remember to steal that one day when you're not there to witness the theft.

Eisler's book is very much about the man not the music and written in a very easy-to-read, almost page-turning way. She re-examines all the old evidence with some new insights, and some new inaccuracies. On the whole I like her take on his life.

Ragnhild - if you've not read serious biographies of Chopin then please don't imagine that Dr Wright's essay is anything other than unadulterated fiction. In a lot of ways it is the opposite of the truth - which is why it's funny as well as enraging. I think the author must have serious personal problems.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Frycek - I'd just like to add a couple of things to what you said about Chopin's supposed anti-semitism. I am totally against ANY form of racism but I'm sure it wasn't meant as such - he was just using a term common at that time, the same as we might accuse someone of being a vandal nowadays without meaning to suggest that the ancient Germans were actually evil. OK, maybe I'm bending over backwards a bit here to defend my hero.....

More importantly, he actually had some good friends who were Jewish - Leo and Alkan for example.

BTW I love your description of Beethoven needing love and backrubs! It's too true. Preferably the backrub should take place in the bath, in his case, methinks :-)

So where was this prior defence of Chopin posted? I'd like to go and read the whole thread.

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member

[Linked Image]
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Two absolute horrors. These are actual posters I've found for sale.

[Linked Image]
[img]http://www.tinkersviews.com/worstchopin.bmp[/img]

[Linked Image]
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Wow, I must get a framed enlargement of the second one immediately :-) Actually I have seen these on a poster website some time ago, and wrote to tell them that they had obviously got the wrong information, but to no avail. Couture (artist who painted the first of your two choice images, Frycek) was active in France at the right time so maybe Chopin did sit for him. If so, it would explain why Couture isn't better known today.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Thank you Frycek, you gave me the answer :

Right now the fashionable thing is "deconstruction" and it's Chopin's turn.
Of course, I have seen it done to other great men (and a few women). I'll just close my eyes to written nonsense and keep listening to the music
smile
Ragnhild

Trying to play the piano:
http://www.box.net/public/dbr23ll03e
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by maryrose:
Wow, I must get a framed enlargement of the second one immediately :-) Actually I have seen these on a poster website some time ago, and wrote to tell them that they had obviously got the wrong information, but to no avail. Couture (artist who painted the first of your two choice images, Frycek) was active in France at the right time so maybe Chopin did sit for him. If so, it would explain why Couture isn't better known today.
I think the one by Courture is just a very bad portrait. Chopin looks like a walleyed drunk with the mumps but still somehwat like Chopin. I think the second one is just plain mislabelled. Lord knows who that one's actually supposed to be.

[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
Jesus Christ, you have issues.
This was one of the responses to the post that Frycek just mentioned. I may not have used those exact words but I certainly agree with them.

Thank you LA for that wonderful link about the Chopin monument. Being half Polish, I take a certain amount of pride in the achievements of the sons and daughters of this noble country. They are a proud and determined people, and the history of their country speaks for itself.

But I am an American! Through and through, and I great pride in being so.

Kathleen

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by LisztAddict:
[Linked Image]

Strange that they put him in a dress.

Mel

"Love has nothing to do with what you are expecting to get, only what you are expecting to give, which is everything. You give because you love and cannot help giving." Katharine Hepburn
Page 9 of 425 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 424 425

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,152
Members111,629
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission