2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, Colin Miles, 36251, 11 invisible), 2,157 guests, and 357 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
TLuvva Offline OP
OP Offline
T
My wife, who is uncharacteristically complaining about all my piano activities of late, was complaining about how much I pay for lessons. $40 for an hour from a real live Julliard graduate who is willing to come to my house though I've been going to his lately. He also plays more than once a year with symphony orchestras of various places and happens to be off performing in South Africa at the moment causing a temporary interruption in my weekly lessons.

Not only that, I've become friends with the guy and he's available for answering questions via email at any time. I think it's a good deal, myself. In fact, he's been nothing short of super. (Don't make me post a link to a video of him playing the National Symphony of South Africa!) I love to print out some piece that I've been listening to of late and put it in front of him and he can just immediately wail on it no problem - just from sight reading (like Chopin Scherzo Deuxieme - that one blows me away, and he played it like he's known it his whole life).

So, what do you pay? And I guess as a point of reference maybe describe (if relevant) the qualifications or lack thereof of your teacher. Oh, and perhaps include what part of the country or world you live.

B
B
I think it is a bargain if he comes to your house for $40 an hour!

Wade
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
my teacher charges $35-40/hr, whether he comes to mine or i go to his. except a few occasions, i go to his place because it's near where i work.

S
S
+1 what brazospiano said.

"Show people are doomed. Doomed to a lifestyle of booze and pills and heavy meals late at night." Ruthless! - The Musical.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Hi TLuvva,

I live in the Denver area, it's probably moderately priced as far as metropolitan areas go. My instructor charges $20 for half hour lessons.

He was actually trained as a computer programmer, but has taught piano for many years. He also has played with Jazz bands on and off. He has a free period just before our lesson and I hear him practicing WTC and other pieces.

Rich

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
L
L
I think you are well off with this tutor.

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Around here (Portland Metro area), teachers charge anywhere from $30-$65/hr, most being about $45/hr.

My previous teacher charged $45 (at her home) but she moved away. The two teachers I am testing out now: one charges $50/hr at his home (BA degree, older, more experience), and the other, $45/hr coming to my home (much more impressive schooling but younger and less experience).

Finding a teacher with whom you're compatible is so important, especially for us adults; if you find one you like, it's worth it!

T
T
A dollar a minute seems to be the going rate in the San Francisco Bay Area, more or less. My information comes from surveying a few piano teachers (and saxophone teachers) before settling on one of each. We actually pay $35 for a half hour with the sax teacher, but she's worth it. Total cost of music lessons per week: $95.

Your teacher sounds great, AND it's a deal to boot!

WOW! what a deal!!!

I have no idea about my piano lessons as I haven't taken them for a while and when I did my parents payed for them however my violin teacher charged $80 an hour!!

"Work hard and strive to reach the power of bland"
T
T
A Google search tells me that $80 in Australia is approximately $64 US.

M
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
M
21.50 half hour at the Jersey Shore

D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
In eastern Massachusetts I haven't come across anyone charging less than $50/hour. I wish I could find someone like your teacher.

I pay £48 for a term of 6 lessons. Each lesson lasts 45minutes. I get so much out of the lessons.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
In my neck of the woods $32-$40 per hour seems to be the going rate for private lessons. This holds (in my experience) for a number of instruments. My kids study piano, flute, and horn. The adjunct faculty at the college are at the top end, though the variation in price between them and regular private teachers in the community seems quite small.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Michigan area, I pay $20 per half hour, then $10 per 15 mins afterwards...

Les Koltvedt
Servicing the Greater Atlanta area
www.LKPianos.com
PTG Associate
N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Atlanta suburbs---I take from three teachers--my regular teacher ($40/hour) and two that I alternate with in the summer when my teacher is gone ($45/hour and $53/hour). From what I can tell, $40 is under the average here, but maybe in a smaller town it would be closer to it. My regular teacher has taught for 50 years and has a bachelor's in music. The $45/hour teacher has a master's from Georgia State and the $53/hour teacher has a master's from New England Conservatory. Both have taught at least 20 years. By the way, the $53/hour teacher told me he really thinks $60 would be right, but there are so many piano teachers in our area that he has to try to stay competitive with them, not charge what he thinks he ought to. Interestingly, our children's tennis coach charges $60/hour, and I think the pianists are certainly are as, or even more, qualified in their craft. But it's what the market will bear, I guess.

Nancy

Estonia 168
M
M
Indiana: $15-20 for a half hour seems to be the going rate. For an hour, I've seen prices of $30 - $45.

A Google search tells me that $80 in Australia is approximately $64 US.
Yep it's about that.. he discounted for me too as I was at uni at the time.

"Work hard and strive to reach the power of bland"
I knew my teacher was a bargain - $10 for 1/2 hour at her house. I believe she has Masters in music. She's very nice, yet challenging for me as a 1st year beginner.

There is nothing to it. You have only to hit the right note at the right time, and instrument plays itself.
-- Johann Sebastian Bach (1685-1750)
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
About $2,000 a semester for private lessons, with access to theory classes, and with unlimited use of studios for practice time (studios have Yamaha grands). A semester is about 16 lessons. I consider it a bargain. My teacher is not just a professional pianist, but also someone with considerable background in music pedagogy. He is a good instructor. Very good, imo. Plus, I can walk in the place any time and just go to any empty studio and sit down and play. I also carry my recorders (musical instruments, not things to record music) and practice them in the studios. Plus, my 4 yr old takes Music Skills classes at the same place, and I practice while she is in her class. I expect my 2 year old to do the same. Overall, it's a great place, and has very very much to offer.... www.musicconservatory.org

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission