2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (1200s, aphexdisklavier, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, accordeur, 12 invisible), 1,816 guests, and 288 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
P
P
I've got a couple of friends who say it's a great idea I play the piano who understood that to be "highly interested to go to piano recitals and other concerts". Which I do love to do but with the many concerts around in my area, I am either very selective in attending concerts or I stop learning the piano ...

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I do find that it's different when you're an adult. My 13 and 15 year old neices who have been taking lessons since they were 6 are somehow expected to play fairly simple unknown tunes but as an adult, people expect us to play something wonderful and popular upon request...what's with that??? I have had on many occasions had to explain "No, I can't just pick up a piece of music and play it. I have to spend (depending on the difficulty) a few weeks at least learning it." They seem surprised "But you've been taking lessons for how long now? 5 years?"

It's the journey not the destination..
[Linked Image]
H
H
We've only had our piano a few weeks now. I bought it as a gift for my husband. He's never studied piano, though he is fairly accomplished at guitar and vocally. I played for ten years when I was younger but am back at it for the first time in over twenty years.

We started our lessons about two weeks ago now. I have to say that the reactions have been nothing but positive from everyone we know. Several people have told us how "cool" they think it is, especially since we're in it together now...and more than a couple have talked about starting back themselves now.

We had a dinner party Friday night and everyone insisted that we play for them. My husband can sit and improvise on a theme but is just starting at the very beginning reading music...so he was playing his simple Bastien one note pieces he's been learning in his lessons. I've been started back at "Level 3" and played some of the things I've been working on...recognizable(simple adaptionsof Moonlight Sonata, the Blue Danube, pop pieces like Lean on Me and From a Distance). Everyone had a grand time and was supportive despite the elementary level of what we were playing. A few people sat down and tried to play what they remembered as youth. We all had a grand time despite none of us being virtuosos...

Since I started taking lessons two years ago, I've met with only respect and admiration. I've even inspired a couple of others to start or restart on piano or other instruments. The most negative comment I've had is along the lines of "How do find the time to practice?" Most people seem to watch an hour or two of TV a night. I watch an hour or two every few months, et voilà, time for practice (and reading those books you've always meant to get around to).

Ted

personally, I couldn't give a stuff what other people think about me being an adult learner. I enjoy it and feel I'm making progress and really achieving something. Loads of people take up an instrument when they're in their "middle age" (mid life crisis thing?)

I don't waste my time on people that 'poo poo' other people's hobbies, they're usually the ones who have nothing going on in their life anyway.

What does annoy me though is the availability of basic sheet music for beginners, it all seems to be aimed at children. Mind you, that meant I bought more advanced material and have therefore pushed myself a bit more.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
It's official - piano is 'gay'...

But seriously, like somebody mentioned already - it's one thing to tell people you play the piano, and quite another to actually demonstrate it. You'll get 100% positive reviews if you do the latter...

Hey!
It's NEVER TO LATE!!! I just started playing again after many years of life in-between...Bought a new piano, dug out all of my old music and took a trip down memory lane. The music certainly brought me back to happy times in my life and even posted a thread about Sherwood, an extension course studied as a kid and had replys from others who also used the program! If you are an adult beginner, I say Bravo to you! Enjoy every moment and to heck with anyone who thinks differently! Go Bor it!!!

C
C
If someone makes fun of you or looks down on you for playing piano as a hobby, they are probably not very intelligent, and they probably don't have any worthwhile hobbies themsevles.

I think most people I know spend their free time watching TV, playing video games, or drinking beer. If these types of people are looking down at you for playing piano, all I can do is just laugh.

Most people are pretty impressed that I play piano at the age 24. At worst, they are not interested, and change the topic of the discussion. It's really their loss, in my opinion.

Psychologicaly, I think when people hear that you are pursuing a dream, it reminds them of something that they were too afraid to do. So to combat that feeling they lash out at the person trying to do what they are afraid to. Their dream doesn't have to be related to piano either. They just need to convince themselves that:

"No one can do these things after a certain age."

And if you are going against that statement then you are pointing out their fear. The analogy I've heard used before is "Crabs in a bucket." Have you ever noticed that crabs in a bucket can't escape? Once one of them tries to escape the other crabs will pull him/her back down.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
originally posted by Kent B
When I mention I'm taking lessone to friends or co-workers they often laugh or smirk, or say, "You mean your kids are taking piano lessons?" And I have to explain, "No, I am taking piano lessons."
That has happened to me twice so far, I and did not understand the assumption whatsoever, and I still don’t.

But most of the people have seemed to express a genuine interest.

I have to agree with the others who say, “Who cares?”

Anybody that laughs or smirks at the notion of learning any musical instrument just doesn’t get it!!

Absolutely!
They don't get it! "Music soothes the savage beast" We all heard that right? I know that I made a difference in my students' minds when I would have them listen to classical music in class while they were working. Taking piano lessons again after a very long interlude, I find that many who do discover that I am the student this time think it's wonderful. The best thing about retirement is being able to do whatever you want and telling individuals to _________ ! Grey hair, though I consider myself VERY young at 57, is very liberating!

I used to worry about what other people thought about me whether it was expressed or simply my own imagination. Of course, I was 13 at the time. Now, as other have stated in other ways in this thread, I don't give a rat's *** about it. If they say something that is polite, encouraging, or complementary, I thank them and go on about my business. If they're rude, condescending, or smirkish, I start to reconsider our relationship as they make me doubt whether they're the kind of person I can care about.

I'm doing this for me and I don't ask or require approval from anybody.

There is no reality, only perception.
Sizzzlerz,
Right On! Good for You! I absolutely agree with you!

When I moved to this house, the man from moving company saw my piano and asked: "you don't have children, why you need a piano?", I stared him with a despise feeling and answered "I play". He then said: "you?! You're already old, why still playing?" I felt nothing to say to him, we're in the different level, for him, I just like an adult play games, collect toys; for me, he's like a kind of man who never using brain, but only moving furnitures in his entire life.

People are different, they believe the stereotype that young people should take piano lessons seriously, because they have the chance to become pianists; Adults who take piano lessons are either too rich or too boring, they do this just for satisfy their interests.
So, now I learnt do what I want to do, never talk to people with music if they know nothing about music!

In my this life, I will enjoy playing the piano
In my next life, I will become a pianist
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
This conversation always seems to come up when I go to my teacher's house for my lesson. The other parents (usually mothers)see me walk in with my 8 year-old son and assume I'm there to wait for him. After I've gone to the piano and played what I'm working on I get questions like, "how long have you been playing?" and "I've always wanted to play piano." My piano teacher loves it, invariably some of the parents will sign up for lessons themselves.
Great thread.
Jon

"In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity." Albert Einstein
Charles Walter W190 Ebony
Kent B Offline OP
OP Offline
Wow! Thanks for the overwhelmingly encouraging responses. Evidentally this subject hits a nerve with many of us.

I'm drawing strength from what all of you have said and I think I'm ready to "come out of the closet" in public.

Now hear this:

I am an adult. I am a man. I am a husband. I have two kids. And, I take piano lessons!

(I feel better already.)

A Drummer / Percussionist turned piano player. ...Struggling not to hit the piano strings with sticks.
G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
On the contrary. When I tell people that I am taking piano lessons, they are really pleased, and some have expressed an interest in resuming their piano playing.

Those who play the piano are delighted that I am taking it up again, and one even suggested that we get together for duets.

I agree with Liverpool-poet. Don't waste time with those who scoff at your interests.
Enjoy what you are doing, and don't concern yourself with what others say.
While you are busy learning new and wonderful things, they are letting their brains get rusty from lack of use. Your life on the other hand is rich and full. Gaby Tu

Everyone whom I have told that "I am learning to play piano", has said, oh I would love to learn too. I think it is something most people would love to do, but don't think they can, or don't make the time to learn. It's not an age thing, it's something inbuilt that when you are ready, you will begin. Also however difficult we find it, we do NOT give in either. We persevere and enjoy. Shey

Adult returner
Practising Mindfulness Piano

Kent,
I am PROUD of you! You took the first step by coming out... Doesn't it feel great! How wonderful that we can all be ourselves and feel good about it!

PS It's a good thing that you are on the west coast of Florida and not in Broward County!

C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
Originally posted by Mountain Ash:
I tell people and they are either surprised, or they presume I've been playing for years. No-one has made an negative comments yet, but I'm only 21, so perhaps it's age related.

I do however, share stephenc's reservations about playing for people who may have high expectations. I usually have to preface any playing with: "now I've only been taking lessons for 4 months..."
At my age (50 is breathing down my neck this year) they blame that one a combination of approaching senility and "chemo brain." laugh

When I was doing cello lessons that went off as something verry kool with my friends and co-workers (mostly because they liked the giant banana yellow cello case, I'm sure)

But I did feel like the right oaf showing up at the music school, being about 35 years older than my co-students.

But then I found out they all liked my giant banana yellow.... etc.

I could have been playing a comb and Kleenex, as long as I rolled it in there, in that Yield Sign of a case. smile

Inspiration is the act of pulling a chair up to the writing desk.
Pramberger JP-185 (a 6'1" mahogany-red Grand)+ Glenn Gould-ish piano chair (no cushion)
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission