2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
24 members (drumour, Foxtrot3, johnesp, Hakki, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, 7 invisible), 1,221 guests, and 293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
K
OP Offline
K
Why are people attracted to sad, melancholic or haunting compositions?

I'm including myself in here. I don't know why but it is the kind of classical music I like playing and listening to.

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Intriguing question! I don't know why, either, but it is true of me...I'd rather listen to a slow, sad piece than a bouncy happy one most days.

...maybe the slow pace is physiologically calming? confused

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hmmm....I know I'm definitely attracted to haunting compositions both listening as well as playing.

I suppose it's because we live in such a busy world that by listening to these pieces it will help us relax and just slow down??

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Me too!. Whats really weird is that I am not a calm person so I guess that calm music gives me a kind of balance in life. smile

K
OP Offline
K
Even with popular music... everybody likes a good break-up song. Even if one hasn't lived through whatever the song is saying, one feels related to the lyrics of melancholic music.

For now, I'm sticking with classical music to play on the piano. I find myself always selecting this kind of pieces to play, that's why I usually go with Chopin. Besides being, in my opinion, the greatest composer of all time, his music has this poetic feeling about it, which is hard to find with other composers.

G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
For lack of a better term, dance music moves your base. We all tap, bounce, stomp, and even dance to music that was designed to do just that.

Slow, sad, melancholy pieces reach us at a deeper level that can cause stillness (even slow dance stuff - like EJ's "Sorry Seems to Be...").

There is something to the total surrender to a piece that soothes the soul. We turn off the lights, get comfortable, and allow the music to take us for a short time.

The question is why. I think it is because it is like deep tissue massage. It hurts so good kinda thing that we all crave. It is like we understand that practicing emotions is healthy. And, we know instinctively it is good for us and makes us more whole then without the experience. If we practice recovering from sad music, we are better prepared to recover from anything. And the "rush" of calm that comes during and after is desirable.

A valuable skill in life, I would think.

"There is nothing remarkable about it. All one has to do is hit the right keys at the right time and the instrument plays itself." Johann Sebastian Bach/Gyro
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Yeeees! Sad music!!! I love it. I always prefer sad music than happy music, this is also because I'm quite a sad person.

karaeloko: To me, the greatest EVER was Beethoven. But, yes, I love Chopin's music with all my heart.

And in my twisted face... there's not the slightest trace of anything that even hints at kindness...
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
if you guys want i live pretty close to mexico and can pick you guys up some prozac for say 50 a bottle.....hahahahahahaha.

seriously i think there is enough sadness in the world without listening to it....

If it ain't fun I ain't doin' it:)
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Sad music......I don't know why I like it so much. It always reminds me of all of the beautiful girls that I fell in love with when I was a kid that dumped me frown

Maybe, because love can give us the greatest joy and also the greatest sadness. What better way to express both than through music.

Ya, I love opera. As if you couldn't figure that out.

Keep a song in your heart!

Frank
--------------------------
It's not who we are that holds us back, it's who we think we're not!
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
They're usually slow. That makes them easier to play. wink

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Easier to get a more controlled tempo, but not easier in the sense of making music. There are slow pieces that need much more work on musicality than quicker ones.

And in my twisted face... there's not the slightest trace of anything that even hints at kindness...
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I like sad pieces because a lot of time they have great power to them.

Think of the famous Choin Funeral March theme - if you play it with a single-note melody it sounds sad. But when those huge minor chords are played instead, the theme becomes HUGE.

Which is why I love Rachmaninov as well - that very same combination of melancholy and power.

Sad music is romantic!

Seiler 132 Konzert
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Frycek:
They're usually slow. That makes them easier to play. wink
LOL, I was just thinking the exact same thing! thumb

I
I
Because girls like it... And I think why they like romantic pieces is clear.

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Sad music? Not me, an emotional piece is fine now and then but I'd much rather listen to up-beat jazz, lively movements, happy standards etc.

To me they are also much more fun to play. Even if the peice is slow it doesn not necessarily mean it has to be sad or in a minor key.

Don't worry, be happy or Hakuna Matata.

I'll just keep my feet tapping :-).

Laugh More
Yamaha G7 - Roland FP7 - Roland FP80
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
L
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
L
I thought of this thread while watching TV last night. It is a new series called 3lbs. I guess that's the weight of the brain, and the story line revolves around people who have to have brain surgery. (Better this than watching those reality shows!)

Anyhow, the brother (a high-power lawyer) of a woman undergoing an extremely high-risk brain operation is pacing the waiting room floor, seething with anger that she consented to have this done and with the doctors who are actually performing it knowing the odds that she'll live through it are about 20%. He was threatening to sue everyone involved.

One doctor came by and told the brother not to feel anger but to feel sad. The brother looked at him with loathing and walked away.

A short time later, the sound of a piano was heard (when was the last time you saw a piano in a hospital?)...anyhow, the camera showed the brother sitting at the piano and playing a lovely, haunting and SAD Chopin waltz. His eyes were glistening as he played.

The camera panned back to the doctor's face, which told it all.

The brother finally was allowed to express his sadness and fear at his sister's condition, and he did so with music...in this case, Chopin.

I think (perhaps this had been said before) sad music gives us permission to cry..even for men, who aren't "allowed" to do so under ordinary circumstances.

Kathleen

Chopin’s music is all I need to look into my soul.
D
D
What I'd like to know is why pieces in minor keys are associated with sadness, and major keys with happyness ?

I mean you hear a piece in minor key and it sounds melancolic, why is that ? Is there some scientific explaination behind this ?

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Very interesting question...

I agree with others, it's probably the calming, relaxing character of the music that people find enjoyable. To give the best example I can think of, it's like the difference between soaking in a hottub and going to the beach to swim in the ocean. One is relaxing and the other invigorating; both are enjoyable, yet, I would take a hottub anyday.

Now, I do think fast, upbeat music is fun , especially when you are playing it, but I still prefer slower, calmer music which is often times sad. I prefer Rachmaninoff's Rhapsody on a theme by Paganini over Joplin's Maple Leaf Rag.

Andrew - Shortcircuit85

If you were not sane, you would never misunderstand this question or the consequences of not comprehending its meaning.
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
For an interesting study of the emotional responses evoked by certain chords -- in particular, minor add 9 (anguish) and m7b5 (crisis) -- and the use of those chords in film and TV scores see:
http://tagg.mediamusicstudies.net/articles/xpdfs/musemeuse.pdf
http://www.tagg.org/articles/xpdfs/jochen0411.pdf

My theory on the attraction of sad songs would be: Music is a language of emotion. The more directly music evokes emotion, the more powerful it is. If we are particularly susceptible to an emotional reaction to certain chords, progressions, etc., we are likely to be particularly attracted to music characterized by such chords, progressions, etc., simply because of the power it holds. So, for example, if minor add 9 tends to reliably produce a strong emotional reaction -- sad in nature -- we will be attracted to songs that use it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission