2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
67 members (amc252, brennbaer, accordeur, antune, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, 9 invisible), 1,790 guests, and 317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
I got the idea to start this thread based on thread in another forum. We are all lucky to have each other to turn to when we feel frustrated or stuck. But, what are some of your best success stories. Or, how about those times when you just felt like jumping up and shouting YES I DID IT!!! When you finally got something you'd been working so hard on.
Let's hear 'em laugh smile thumb 3hearts

“The doubters said, "Man cannot fly," The doers said, "Maybe, but we'll try,"
And finally soared in the morning glow while non-believers watched from below.”
― Bruce Lee
L
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
L
I'll be happy to participate though I have had two such "gottcha" instances.

The one that stands out the most (because I can remember what I was wearing, where I was at the time, the weather, the type of piano, etc.) was when I finally conquered Chopin's 15th prelude, otherwise known as "The Raindrop."

I had been away from the piano for several decades when I happened to hear it played on the radio and decided that that WAS THE ONE.

So I got up every morning at 4 to practice on my digital before work. I practiced during my lunch hour in one of the music rooms (I worked at a college). After dinner and dishes, I practiced another few hours on my grand. And, of course, the weekends were almost always devoted to the piano.

I would guessimate that I practiced about 40 hours a week for about 3 months on this piece alone. A total of about 480 hours, give or take.

Then came the day when I went across the hall to a practice room, put the music up on the stand and played the whole prelude through, without one mistake and with some genuine dynamics. I remember coming close to the very end and realizing that I hadn't hit one wrong note...I began to actually shake because I was so nervous that I would screw up the very last measure. But no. As I lifted my hands from the keyboard after that last chord, I was so stunned I couldn't move for several minutes.

A moment in my life I will NEVER forget. heart

Kathleen

Chopin’s music is all I need to look into my soul.
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
See my last next to last entry in the etude recitals thread.

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Just about every time I sit at the bench is a joyful experience for me. Or, to put it another way, if it is ever NOT positive, I know to walk away for a while. smile

But if forced to choose, I'd have to say my most positive experiences have been:

(1) the time I played for over an hour at the Charlotte airport on their crummy little grand with one of the strings broken, as literally hundreds of people walked by, and

(2) a time I was playing an old upright that had been stuck (abandoned?) in an open stairwell at a hotel resort I was staying at, and a woman came rushing up to me with a real intense look on her face as I was playing "Nefeli." I thought to myself, "uh-oh. This piano is reverberating like crazy in the stairwell and I bet she's coming over to tell me to shut the %$#@ up," but instead she said, "That is the most beautiful song I've ever heard. You have to tell me the name of it and who wrote it." smile

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Mine would have to be when I was working on Solitude by David Nevue.
One evening after a nice dinner and a few glasses of Merlot I fell asleep on the sofa.
When I woke up I went downstairs (where my DP is set up) to make sure everything was off in the rec-room, so naturally I couldn’t resist making a pit stop and turning on the DP. I could not readily locate the sheet music for Solitude, so half asleep I started playing from memory. Then it occurred to me how much my DP looked like a baby grand, which I thought was odd, especially considering I never noticed before. I then realized I was playing with my eyes closed and actually seeing a piano in my mind's eye. Unfortunately the moment I became conscious of this, the whole scene disappeared, like the popping of a balloon. But up until that point I played it (at least it seemed so) the most expressively I ever had, and I finally nailed a part that was tripping me up. From that point on, I rarely blundered on the passage that normally gave me a problem.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
You asked for it,
My mother-in-law has altzheimer's and has been in an assisted living facility for about 2 years now. The facility has a Young Chang 6' grand piano in the main public area. I've played Christmas carols during the season and some of my popular music on different visits for the people at the facility. Mostly songs that they would know and sing along to. They seemed to enjoy it and me, being a ham certainly and enjoying the sound of the YC didn't mind entertaining!

About 3 months ago on one of my visits to the facility after doing the usual popular sing-alongs I decided to try out my Chopin B-minor waltz (Op. 69, No. 2). I did warn them ahead of time just in case they didn't like it. It was the first time I played any Chopin in public and I figured what's the worst that can happen - they are in their 80's and most are in wheel chairs and I can run away from them.

I had been a particularly difficult day, my mother-in-law had started going downhill, my contract lost it's funding where I was working and I was having one heck of a time trying to even get a foot in the door to talk to people applying for another one, etc.

Anyway, I played the waltz in a little slower tempo and with more rubato than I usually do. I normally drive a 50 year old spinet (Molly) which I thought had a great voice until the YC grand started singing - both to me and my now silent audience.

Once I finished with the last B-minor chord and let her decay out, I realized I had closed my eyes at some point during the waltz. When I opened them and looked around I had about 30 people, instead of the usual 15 - 20 staring at me with tears running down their cheeks.

My mother-in-law is still going down hill, I still haven't found a job but, I added something to people's lives - and mine in the process.

Thanks for listening,
Woody

[Linked Image]

What a beautiful story, Woody, and beautifully written. heart

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
I am loving all of these stories.
Woody- My best to your mother-in-law.
And I am keeping my hopes us that you find a job soon. smile

“The doubters said, "Man cannot fly," The doers said, "Maybe, but we'll try,"
And finally soared in the morning glow while non-believers watched from below.”
― Bruce Lee
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Woody-Woodruff:
...I figured what's the worst that can happen - they are in their 80's and most are in wheel chairs and I can run away from them.
That's too funny!!!

Awesome story, it most have been a great feeling!!

Woody,
Sorry to hear about your mother-in-law and job status.
I hope things get better.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I am principal cellist in a chamber orchestra. It's mostly amateurs, but has a regular concert series and charges admission. A few weeks ago, at our first concert of the season, we played a newly composed piece. It had a piano part in the slow movement. We had rehearsed it a few times, but never with the piano and in fact, we had never heard the piano part. Right before the concert, the conductor found out that the pianist was sick and wouldn't be there. During intermission he was going around the orchestra asking if anyone played the piano. After there were no volunteers, I said I did, and he said, "Great!" and rushed me over to the piano. I had about a minute to look at the part before we had to play.

Before we started the piece, the conductor got up and told the audience what was going on (and asked if there was ANYONE who played the piano -- no takers), and then he explained that I was going to play the piano part. No pressure, right? So I played the first movement on the cello, put cello down and went over the piano, sight-read the part (basically changed left hand to chords and tried not to come in in the wrong place -- I had never heard it before, after all), and then went back to the cello to play the last movement.

So, my orchestral debut.

Recovering cellist, amateur pianist.
[Linked Image]

Check out my blog !

[Linked Image]
Originally posted by loveschopintoomuch:
.......The one that stands out the most (because I can remember what I was wearing, where I was at the time, the weather, the type of piano, etc.) was when I finally conquered Chopin's 15th prelude, ............

.........As I lifted my hands from the keyboard after that last chord, I was so stunned I couldn't move from several minutes.

A moment in my life I will NEVER forget. heart

Kathleen
What a great story, thanks for sharing it smile

About 35 years ago, my Aunt called and asked me to go shopping with her for a baby grand. I was suprised because she coudn't play a lick, but she wanted a piano and had no budget constraints. After driving all over Phoenix and playing maybe 30 grands, I found a Yamaha for her that sounded really nice. I encouraged her to take care of the thing, but over the course of time I discovered that she rarely tuned or played it, and the piano just sat.

About six years ago, I discovered that she was in the first stages of altzheimer's. We were then living in Texas and I hadn't seen her for awhile. On a vist to Phoenix we stopped in to see her. I sat down at her beautiful but hideously out-of-tune piano, and I will never forget the look on her face as I began to play. Memories and stories came flooding back to her, and we had a great visit together.

She is now in the final stages of the disease, and has no recognition of me. But I'll always remember the little breakthrough we had together.

Play skillfully!.....Psalm 33:3
My piano playing experience is limited to several weeks, but my best experience to date was this afternoon when I played through Finlandia (from Alfreds Favorites, Level 1) at a reasonable tempo without any real mistakes for the first time. It almost sounded like real music!

I guess my other really positive experiences--that have motivated me to start playing--have been listening to my son (now 13) develop his skills and playing ability over the last few years. His most recent piece is music from the movie Transformers that was transcribed superbly by his piano teacher. Listening to him play it on our "new" accoustic piano for the first time a couple weeks ago (rather than the Costco keyboard he's learned on to date) was a memorable moment.

Evan

A man is not old until regrets take the place of his dreams.

Originally posted by Piano Again:
Right before the concert, the conductor found out that the pianist was sick and wouldn't be there. During intermission he was going around the orchestra asking if anyone played the piano. After there were no volunteers, I said I did, and he said, "Great!" and rushed me over to the piano. I had about a minute to look at the part before we had to play.

Before we started the piece, the conductor got up and told the audience what was going on (and asked if there was ANYONE who played the piano -- no takers), and then he explained that I was going to play the piano part. No pressure, right? So I played the first movement on the cello, put cello down and went over the piano, sight-read the part (basically changed left hand to chords and tried not to come in in the wrong place -- I had never heard it before, after all), and then went back to the cello to play the last movement.

So, my orchestral debut.
Um, Piano Again, I think you posted in the wrong thread... this is the POSITIVE piano experiences thread, not the NIGHTMARE Piano Thread! laugh laugh

(Seriously, I am in tremendous AWE that you were able and willing to sight-read that part in a performance context! thumb )

Piano World Founder - Piano Tuner - Pianist
6000 Post Club Member
Piano World Founder - Piano Tuner - Pianist
6000 Post Club Member
I've had a few experiences I like to recall, but one that I'll never forget...

I was about 15 years old.
My mother's favorite piece was Liebestraum.

Being a teenage rock n' roll player, Liebestraum wasn't high on my list. But I loved my mother, and because she was coming home after being away, I decided to learn it.

She and my father didn't get along, she used to go live with one of her sisters, sometimes I'd go, sometimes not.

When she got home I sat down and played the piece for her, she cried and gave me the biggest hug ever.

Four years later (when I was 19), she died.
After the funeral I went home and played Liebestraum for her one last time.

That was 37 years ago, I've never played it again.

- Frank B.
Original Founder of Piano World
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:
Estonia L-190, Roland RD88, Yamaha P-80, Bilhorn Telescope Organ c 1880, Antique Pump Organ, 1850 concertina, 3 other digital pianos
-------------------------
My original piece on BandCamp: https://frankbaxtermrpianoworld.bandcamp.com/releases

Me banging out some tunes in the Estonia piano booth at the NAMM show...

It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!

L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Frank,

Very deeply touching.

Thank you for sharing,

Lisztener - Ron

when i was a kid (11) i won a pretty big piano competition and got to perform in Kansas City's music hall downtown for the grand program of all the winners. I played Rondo alla Turca. I was terrified in front of the fairly small audience. i remember them calling my name and walking on stage and sitting down at the piano that was as long as our living room. I played faster and faster. I hadn't made a mistake. I got to the final line and hit the final chord with great aplomb and it was wrong. I buried my face in my hands while bursting into tears. i cried on the piano bench for almost a minute without moving.

I finally opened my eyes to look at the audience. They were all standing and clapping.

they felt so sorry for me.

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
These are great stories, kinda like Chicken Soup for the Piano Lover's Soul. Thanks for sharing.

Semper ubi sub ubi
[Linked Image]
R
R
I've only been practicing regularly for about two months, so my accomplishment doesn't compare to the major breakthroughs above, but I'll share it anyway!

A few days ago, while playing one of my simple pieces in right-hand melody and left-hand chords, I noticed that I was striking the chords much faster than ever before and was able to change chords smoothly, even on every beat if needed. No thought...my hand and fingers just moved to the right place, without looking at the keys. I was surprised at this sudden improvement above my previous level.

Nothing great here, and I only know about 20 chords, but this was major progress for me. I felt like a kid who had finally learned how to walk. Now to keep practicing so I can "run" in the future!

Best...

Roy

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Wow I loved all the stories.

Woody what a heartwarming story.

Piano Again, I envisioned yours truly since you know I'll be embarking on my cello journey in a couple months. What a neat experience to play both instruments, two different parts in an orchestra. 3hearts

Apple your story was captivating and I saw it played out in my mind too but I think they clapped more for the performance than for feeling sorry for you. laugh

Ouch Frank, your story moved me to tears.

Fuzzy Wuzzy was a bear, Fuzzy Wuzzy had no hair.>>> Herman Munster
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,244
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission