2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
63 members (AlkansBookcase, Barry_Braksick, danno858, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, 14 invisible), 1,836 guests, and 283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#971651 10/06/04 05:33 PM
D
OP Offline
D
I just got a teacher and had my first lesson. IT WAS GREAT!!!

I very, very throughly interviewed the teacher before I committed to take lessons from him. We discussed everything I wanted to learn and everything I DID NOT want to learn. I felt very comfortable and happy with him when I left so I decided to take. I think teachers are much more accomodating with adults. I have had more than my fair share of bad teachers in my life and I didn't want another one.

I told him I was really only interested in classical music and didn't want to spend time on sight reading and other types of music. He readily agreed to help any way he could. I didn't feel like he was starving and would take anyone either. The first thing he said was, "I can teach you on Tuesday morning at 8:30--that is simply the only available time I have."

After my lesson, my teacher was beaming. He was happy and so was I. I learned what I wanted to, he answered my quesitons, and I think he was grateful to have someone who really wanted to learn. (I had 1/2 a page of questions written down before I got there.) I feel lucky to have found him.

BTW, I called my BYU's, (the local university where I went to school), music department and asked for recommendations for an adult teacher and they were happy to pass the information along. They could not have been nicer to me! Even they seemed happy that I called. They even rated the teachers for me and told me they did not receive any sort of compensation for recommendations. I was happy with them and I am happy to finally start taking lessons. Now...if I could only find a piano...

David smile smile smile

David Kirkham
Kirkham Motorsports
www.kirkhammotorsports.com
I bought my piano from www.pianocraft.net
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Congrats on finding a teacher David!

"Now...if I could only find a piano..."

It's not rocket science, just walk into a piano store point to one and say "I'll take that one". laugh

Yeah David Congrats to you too ...

Maybe your expectation is too high to get a piano smile

An apple a day keep the doctor away,
A smile a day chase your sadness away,
A chat a day drive all loneliness away,
And a prayer a day never keep our Jesus away
And let's praise our Lord, our King, our God all the way ....
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Hey David! That's great you found a teacher you like!

It's the same with me and my teacher - she's absolutely fantastic, and I'm am so inspired after each lesson. She doesn't make me feel bad about myself, understands fully if life has interfered and I couldn't practice as much one week or another, etc. etc. I feel so lucky to have found her (have been with her for 2 months now).

Yes, I believe that with adults, the teachers know that we are there because we WANT to be, not because our parents want us to be. My teacher said that I inspire her as well because I am so eager to learn! I've even started reading books about the different composers.

Are you taking 1-hour or 1/2-hour lessons? Good luck and have fun! Let us know when you get your piano!

sleepingcats (will get a Studebaker Goldenhawk picture out to you soon!) smile

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
it's great to have a good teacher, and i am happy for you!

D
OP Offline
D
Sleeping Cats,

I am taking 45 minute lessons...I think they will soon be 1 hour lessons though.

We have a student get together every month. That would be next week now. The students play for each other and then say what they think...

I have never played for anyone but family before. This will be fun. I hope...

David smile smile smile

David Kirkham
Kirkham Motorsports
D
OP Offline
D
Bob,

I am sure my expectations exceed my budget. BUT...I think I may be on to one. We will see.

Luckychwee, Signa,

Thank you for your kind words,

David smile smile smile

David Kirkham
Kirkham Motorsports
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
David,

That piano class situation is dynamite! I do that with my voice students...get them together to sing for each other...and they always seem to learn so much. They learn from each other's comments as well as from mine to somebody else. I think you'll like it. It's good for performance skills and checking out what funny things a little nervous edge will do to your body. Sometimes when you are playing in very familiar circumstances all the time, it's hard to duplicate what may happen when you play in a situation that will make you a little wound up.

HAVE FUN!
Debbie

Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

www.divadeb.com
D
OP Offline
D
divadeb,

Many thanks for the comments. You have changed my outlook on the class. I just really wanted to play for myself, but I can see if I really want to get better then I need to push myself with a little nerves going on.

I am really looking forward to the class more than I originally though I could. I am sure I will screw it up, but if I don't start performing in front of other people, then I will never learn how to do it...even if it is for my own family.

David smile smile smile

David Kirkham
Kirkham Motorsports

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission