2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
77 members (20/20 Vision, amc252, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, 15 invisible), 1,986 guests, and 313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Q
Q
I think Chuan C. Chang's book Fundamentals of Piano Practice (available free online here: http://www.pianofundamentals.com/book) would be helpful to you, as long as you read the whole thing and really pay attention to it. Not a replacement for a teacher, but it should definitely help. It also discusses the teaching/learning process quite a bit, so you'll end up being a bit more prepared when deciding if prospective teachers know what they're doing in the future.

After they amputated his toe he joked about having to learn to count in base 19
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by keystring:
Hogwash. The first thing you need to do in looking for a teacher is to tell a prospective teacher that you seriously wnat to learn to play the piano properly, that you want to learn whatever it is that you need to learn, and that you are willing to do the work.
When my teacher asked me 6 years ago what I wanted, I told him that I wanted him to help me be the best I could be - what ever that was and that I was serious and willing to work hard to get to where ever that was. I'm still a long long way from 'there' but having a great time.

It's the journey not the destination..
[Linked Image]
Peter,

You said that your enthusiasm has not yet completely returned. I would address that issue first. Looking for the right teacher can be an exhausting and frustrating exercise. I would set that aside temporarily and cultivate what motivates you to play in the first place. For me, it is playing pieces that I love and can play resonably well. I also get inspired by listening to music of other pianists who play music that I feel is within my reach to also play. Rekindle the dream. Don't let anyone steal it.

Keep it fun, and stay motivated!

If you can achieve something without a struggle, it's not going to be satisfying.

P
petex Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Thanks for all your support...I must say that since I have started this thred, thanks to all the replies I have become more and more motivated..Thanks to you all
I have started reading the Fundamentals of Piano Practice as suggested by QuackersMcDuck .....it's a bit heavy going but interesting ideas..i'd be interested in anyone elses views on this book.

I have decided to use the midi capabilities of of my yamaha DP and have installed Finale composer and anvil studio to start me off...the idea is that by using midi files to show me what I should be playing I should be on the right track (joke!) ...anyone else tried to learn using midi files?

This leaves me with one big question ........I need a piece that I can attack that will be interesting, not to technical (i'm beginner/intermediate on a good day!. Not an easy choice since I am aware that I really need to succed to bost my ego .......
Any ideas?
I like classical and modern.. but it needs to be a little dramatic to keep me interested, if you know what I mean!!

Thanks again
Peter

G
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
G
I have the Hal Leonard/Cherry Lane Music
publication, Great Songs of the Sixties,
Vol. 2. It has all kinds of cool songs
in it, and you'd probably be able to
find something in it to get you playing
again. I consider jazz/popular music
the same as classical, so you'd play
these just like you play your classical
pieces.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission