Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
65 registered members (agraffe, alexk3954, atcsam, AZNpiano, basebase, ando, astrotoy, 16 invisible), 755 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Everett -- Console or spinet?? #97014
08/17/07 04:57 AM
08/17/07 04:57 AM
Rome, NY
3boysmom Offline OP
3boysmom  Offline OP

Rome, NY
Hi,

I have been looking at quite a few pianos over the last week (Baldwin Acrosonic, Chickering console, Story & Clark console), and talking to piano technicians about coming to assess them. After talking with one very renowned RPT in my area, after telling him what piano I was really looking for (a decent console for under $2000), he recalled a piano of one of his client's who was going to be moving. He said it would be a perfect fit -- it was an Everett console, it was a dream to play, had a wonderful touch, and was in beautiful shape. He said it was a gem of a used piano, that one might come across only 1 out of every 100 you are looking through, with impeccable maintenance (at least yearly tunings, one owner). He said that $1800 was a fair price that he would pay for the piano, but did not want to then have to turn it around and mark it up to make a profit, he didn't have a showroom for that sort of thing, yada yada. In his professional opinion he said the piano is probably worth more like $4400, but you could never get that on the market, so $1800 is a fair price. He said that a brand-new $6k Young Chang would actually sound inferior to this piano, and was REALLY ENTHUSIASTIC about it, basing his opinion on his tunings and work on the instrument. He said there was nothing in it for him to refer me to this piano, he just thought it seemed like a great fit. So, he called the owner immediately, who in turn allowed me to come over to see it.

My first impression was, "gee that's short for a console," but sat at it awhile to play it. I was also very impressed with the touch, and the volume/depth of tone even in the bass was very impressive. But then I opened it up, and it appeared to have (perhaps?) a spinet action. The keys seemed short, were connected to something that pulled something that pulled the hammer, or so I think. I'm just not quite sure now (I was also tending to my 3 kids under 4 years old at the time I was looking at it). But anyway, I asked the owner to get a tape measure, and the height of the piano was only 37.5". I could swear it's a spinet, isn't it? But how could a professional piano tech recommend a spinet to me, when he knew I wanted a console? I considered that maybe since he sees it only once a year, he just forgot. But how could any serious professional piano tech go on and on about a used Everett *spinet,* and say it's worth $1800, even if it is in perfect condition??????

I put in a call to him afterwards to ask him, "are you sure it's a console?", but he was gone for the day.

Is there any SUREFIRE way for me to say whether this piano is a spinet or a console?? The piano was also from 1962 according to its SN #141143.

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items
Re: Everett -- Console or spinet?? #97015
08/17/07 05:39 AM
08/17/07 05:39 AM
Rome, NY
3boysmom Offline OP
3boysmom  Offline OP

Rome, NY
P.S. I found a similar piano on Ebay, and it boasts the "dyna-tension scale:"

"In 1949, as the result of many years' research, Everett introduced the first small pianos with a dyna-tension scale, which, according to Everett, gives them the "tonal beauty of a grand." The dyna-tension scale was developed and perfected by John A. Henns, America's foremost piano scale designer. This exclusive scale is possible only in Everett consoles and spinets with Balanced Tension back, because no other piano (i.e. a piano with wooden back posts instead of metal levers) has the strength to carry the increased load of a super high string tension. The company claims that the beautifully fashioned Everett offers the same "concert fidelity" . . . distortion-free volume more than adequate for today's home. . as a fine grard piano, which also has "high tension" strings."

From the Bluebook of Pianos

Is this something special, making the piano worth $1800?? Or is it worth that since it is in immaculate condition?

Re: Everett -- Console or spinet?? #97016
08/17/07 05:55 AM
08/17/07 05:55 AM
Rome, NY
3boysmom Offline OP
3boysmom  Offline OP

Rome, NY
This looks very similar to the piano I saw today, and the serial number is close...

yet the price is $850, $950 less.

http://chambana.craigslist.org/msg/396286534.html

Did I get screwed on this deal since the piano technician is the one who set the price at $1800? (When he called her, he'd said, "Would you take $1800 for it?" She probably jumped for joy!)

Is this piano worth that, or is this man choosing $1800 since I said my budget was under $2000 (with moving, there's my $2000!).

Re: Everett -- Console or spinet?? #97017
08/17/07 06:06 AM
08/17/07 06:06 AM
torrance, CA
turandot Offline
7000 Post Club Member
turandot  Offline
7000 Post Club Member

torrance, CA
Check this link. This is a company that specializes in repairing, refinishing, and rebuilding inexpensive older pianos. They have some of the kind of pianos you're looking at, so you can get an idea of asking prices. Check out the Everett console in particular. http://www.christianbrotherspiano.com/

$1800 sounds really really high to me. Setting the actual value at $4400 is insane.

Will Johnny Come Marching Home?
The fate of the modern wartime soldier
Re: Everett -- Console or spinet?? #97018
08/17/07 06:11 AM
08/17/07 06:11 AM
Oakland
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
BDB  Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B

Oakland
Everett made two uprights in that period, a spinet, about 40" and a studio, 45". The studio is desirable, the spinet is a spinet. I would expect to pay $600-1500 for the studio. I would not advise anyone to buy the spinet even for $300, which is about the price you see them for.

Semipro Tech

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Shop Our Online Store!
Shop Our Store Online
Shop PianoSupplies.com

Did you know Piano World has an online store, and that it's loaded with goodies pianists and music lovers want?
Check it out and place your order.

Special Purchase!
Keyboard and Roses Piano Bench Cushion Keyboard & Roses 14"x30" piano bench cushions Regularly sold for $79 to $100, now only $39. (while supplies last)

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Today's Google Doodle Creates Bach Harmonies
by jazzyprof. 03/21/19 01:26 AM
Kawai GL10 confirmation bias
by Emery Wang. 03/21/19 12:21 AM
Any kawai GX, SK owners?
by kokatla. 03/20/19 10:22 PM
CHECK OUT LOT 60
by martin snow. 03/20/19 07:28 PM
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics191,011
Posts2,808,753
Members92,831
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission