Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
Mr. PianoWorld - the full interview
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
57 registered members (Agent88, CadenzaVvi, beeboss, Chris Warren, all18piano, Alfonser, akc42, 17 invisible), 1,187 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sneaking piano time #969743
06/21/04 06:52 PM
06/21/04 06:52 PM
idaho
T
teachum Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
teachum  Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
T
idaho
Do any of you do this? The minute your spouse leaves - you run for the piano? We are in the middle of remodeling and I just started lessons again. I am determined to keep playing inbetween laying hardwood! I managed to get in about 2 l/2 hours today while he had to run errands. I have a lesson tomorrow and want to sound good.

You will be 10 years older, ten years from now, no matter what you do - so go for it!

Estonia #6141 in Satin Mahogany
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Sneaking piano time #969744
06/21/04 07:39 PM
06/21/04 07:39 PM
Oregon
S
sleepingcats Offline
500 Post Club Member
sleepingcats  Offline
500 Post Club Member
S
Oregon
Actually, yes............as soon as my husband leaves, I rush to the acoustic to practice since it is more gratifying than playing the digital. He had some minor surgery recently and was home for 12 straight days, so I didn't touch the acoustic for that whole time since he had to rest, was in pain, and had a headache. Oh, except when he took a shower, I practiced just a bit, but that's also the time I vacuumed the house.

I feel guilty when I want him to leave, and he says he doesn't mind my practicing, but I still don't want him to have to hear the same thing over and over. Also, there are a few pieces I want to surprise him with so I can't practice while he's home. I know I can practice on the digitial, but the acoustic is just more fun.

sleepingcats

"Cats make purrfect friends"
Re: Sneaking piano time #969745
06/22/04 01:50 AM
06/22/04 01:50 AM
idaho
T
teachum Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
teachum  Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
T
idaho
There's just something about a "real" piano isn't there?

You will be 10 years older, ten years from now, no matter what you do - so go for it!

Re: Sneaking piano time #969746
06/22/04 10:20 AM
06/22/04 10:20 AM
northwest NJ
devils4ever Offline
devils4ever  Offline
northwest NJ
teachum,

Do any of you do this? The minute your spouse leaves - you run for the piano?
Yes. Unfortunately, my wife doesn't share my passion for the piano. Every time I get near it, I get comments, like "not again", "I'm trying to watch TV", "I'm on the phone", etc. Maybe if I played better? confused So, when she's out, I play.

I've yet to get a complement from her. I've been playing for 12-15 years (with a gap of about 10 yrs) and she's never said "oh, that sounds nice" or "you're improving". frown

"Applaud friends, the comedy is over." --Ludwig van Beethoven on his deathbed.
August Förster 190 Artcase
(ad ) MusicNotes.com
sheet music search
Re: Sneaking piano time #969747
06/22/04 11:01 AM
06/22/04 11:01 AM
Oregon
S
sleepingcats Offline
500 Post Club Member
sleepingcats  Offline
500 Post Club Member
S
Oregon
devils4ever,

I'm sorry to hear that your wife doesn't respond to your playing or that she doesn't appreciate your passion. I know how that feels. My husband usually never makes a comment, and never asks to hear a particular piece. I occasionally ask him if there's anything he'd like me to learn but says no. Since I purchased my acoustic in late January, he has made 3 positive remarks (better than none). It makes me sad. At least if I want to play, he doesn't make any rude comments, but then, I don't play while he's watching TV in the same room. He does appreciate my having interests/hobbies, since he has several strongs hobbies himself.

On the other hand, when my Mom visits and I play for her, she just loves to hear everything! She stares out at the river and comments how wonderful it must be to be able to play. She had to go through my 3 years of daily practice back in high school, so now she only has to hear pieces that are somewhat polished.

Oh, one of my cats clearly enjoys my playing.........he comes by me, sometimes jumps on the bench with me, but usually he lays down by the scratching post 2 feet away from the piano and rubs against it, then watches me while laying on his back. Makes me feel happy.

I'm sure you sound wonderful. Just know that although we all can't hear you, we appreciate you and share the passion for piano.

sleepingcats

"Cats make purrfect friends"
Re: Sneaking piano time #969748
06/22/04 12:11 PM
06/22/04 12:11 PM
Washington D.C. Metro
Cindysphinx Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Cindysphinx  Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Washington D.C. Metro
Devils4ever,

Awwwwwwwwww . . . That's too bad, really.

How about this, though? If there is a piece of music you know she loves, maybe you could learn it on the sly and then present it to her in the form of a performance for a special occasion (birthday, anniversary)? You know, put on your best clothing, sit her on the couch with a glass of red wine, say a few words about how much you adore her, and then play your piece? What woman could resist that?

If you don't know a piece that she'd appreciate, I'll bet folks here could suggest something . . .

As far as pets go, my two dogs love to be under the piano (preferably right by the pedals such that they get in my way), sleeping. I don't get it. I imagine it is deafening, especially to a dog's ears, but that's where they want to be, for some reason.

Re: Sneaking piano time #969749
06/22/04 03:15 PM
06/22/04 03:15 PM
Plano, Texas
J
jdsher Offline
500 Post Club Member
jdsher  Offline
500 Post Club Member
J
Plano, Texas
Devils4ever, sorry your spousal unit doesn't appreciate what you've accomplished. My wife doesn't really ever compliment me unless I ask her something like, "hey, how did that sound?" and she'll say that she liked it. She's not a "musical" person so I don't take offense. As far as getting in practice time when she is out, absolutely. My wife has a part time job from 6-8:30PM M, T, and Th. So as soon as put my son in the shower around 7PM I have a little time to practice. Usually I'll be right in the middle of a piece and I'll hear my son yell out, "Daddy, come wash me!" Then after I've put him to bed, I still have about 30 minutes until my wife gets home to practice. It sure would be nice to have a whole hour uninterupted to concentrate and get something accomplished. What are you gonna do?
BTW, my kitty either lays on the couch next to the piano or on the floor about 3-4 feet away when I play. I guess I have at least one fan. wink
Jon

"In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity." Albert Einstein
Re: Sneaking piano time #969750
06/22/04 11:47 PM
06/22/04 11:47 PM
northwest NJ
devils4ever Offline
devils4ever  Offline
northwest NJ
Cindysphinx,

I've only only played classical and I guess she doesn't appreciate it. Maybe I need to learn some pop pieces. I'm not sure how I could practice it w/o her knowing about it either.

Also, I'm still a beginner and make many mistakes. That's what really turns her sour, I'm guessing. frown

"Applaud friends, the comedy is over." --Ludwig van Beethoven on his deathbed.
August Förster 190 Artcase
Re: Sneaking piano time #969751
06/23/04 12:38 AM
06/23/04 12:38 AM
idaho
T
teachum Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
teachum  Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
T
idaho
My spouse has always been supportive of my playing, although he used to joke and say "wrong note" when he heard me play something wrong. He would know because he had heard me practice it a million times. I play classical too, although he would love me to play boogey-woogy and jazz. Since I recently started up again he has been very complimentary about the improvement in my playing. I like to listen to all piano, but really only get satisfaction from learning classical. We are currently remodeling and I will soon have a "music room" which is where my grand will go when I get it. This should help with interference with TV, etc. He plays ukes and a tenor guitar and tells me I can't hog all the air waves with playing all the time. He can't play when I am playing because he can't concentrate. I guess I'm a little louder than he is.

Sleeping Cats - I have five dogs and if they are in when I am playing they all crash around me and sometimes even get under my feet and fall asleep. Music soothes the savage beast.

Have to go play now - he is on the internet so I can play for a couple of hours. He has this flying thing he does.

Re: Sneaking piano time #969752
06/23/04 09:30 AM
06/23/04 09:30 AM
Kansas
apple* Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
apple*  Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Kansas
Before I married, I played whenever I could.. all the time really, between interests. My husband bought me a box of piano music to woo me, but I wouldn't play in front of him for almost 5 years. He would beg me and I'd refuse, who knows why.

2 pianos later, I play all the time if I can. The summer is nigh impossible, with the children milling about wanting lessons, food or love, but we've decided as a family, that I do best if I play so instead of being Mrs. business manager I get to be the wife who's a part time pianist, at least for the school year.

My husband is so work/task oriented, I always jump when he strides in, heck bent on completing a project. But he loves to rest and listen in the evenings. He's now comfortable with me getting back up after my conjugal duties have been completed to play into the night. We've come to balance my addiction with our family and business needs.. Next year should be better with all the kiddies in school, and me, having two church jobs, one paid and one volunteer.

The children love it, they practice and I guess I'll have to buy them a separate digital soon so we all can feed our souls without infighting.

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
Re: Sneaking piano time #969753
06/24/04 04:46 PM
06/24/04 04:46 PM
idaho
T
teachum Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
teachum  Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
T
idaho
Summers are just the opposite for me. I teach school and have no kids (except 5 dogs, 2 cats and 2 horses) so I can play a lot. I'm not sure why I didn't think I could fit it in for years, but my passion has definitely come back full bore. I have been staying up till midnight playing, which I cannot do during the school year because I have to get up so early. I have been playing for 2 or 3 hours during the daytime and then just catching five minutes here and there on trickly little parts that I'm working on. I think I'm finally going to master that Chopin Nocturne! My biggest problem right now is I am really outgrowing my piano rapidly and I don't see how I can get a grand for at least a year. I've tried talking my husband into throwing out the dining room table, but he's just not there yet. And then I made things way worse by playing an RX and Shigeru for a couple of hours the other day. Now I really have the wants!

Re: Sneaking piano time #969754
06/25/04 10:47 AM
06/25/04 10:47 AM
P
pianojuggler Offline
1000 Post Club Member
pianojuggler  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
P
Ahh, a great discussion: Spouses, mothers, and cats.

The "spouse" (Significant Other) enjoys my playing and is very supportive and tolerant of my mistakes. She does not play. She frequently falls asleep when she's in bed and I'm trying to squeeze in a few minutes of practicing in the evening. She even has a favorite song for falling asleep to: the first full-length song I learned which was Jacques Brel's "Ne Me Quitte Pas."

My mother is another story. She does not play, but is musical and can pick out a wrong note in a full orchestra. When I first started at age 38, she went into a piano store with me. I was playing a simple little piece from my Bastien book, and she kept telling me I was playing it wrong. Several months later, there was another situation where a piano, my mother and I were in the same place at the same time. I noodled a bit through a song I was learning, and she told me I was playing it wrong. She never offered a single word of encouragement. When my first student recital came around, guess who wasn't invited. Second recital...ditto. About two years into my lessons, I was dropping my mother off at her apartment, and she had to run in and use the bathroom in the lobby. I sat down at the piano there and ran through my Jacques Brel song. When she came out of the bathroom, all she said was, "what's the name of that?" At least she didn't say I played it wrong. I may play my first Scarlatti piece for her one of these days, but again, I did not invite her to the recital where I played it a couple weeks ago.

My cats could not care less about the piano being played. They do however go out of their way when they get to the end of the hallway to walk under the bench and behind the leg of the piano. My previous cat wasn't that interested in the piano, but we had a psaltry in the living room, and she was completely entranced when we played it.

Re: Sneaking piano time #969755
02/22/05 12:22 PM
02/22/05 12:22 PM
Denver, Colorado
Rafi Offline
Rafi  Offline
Denver, Colorado
I was so lucky - my first teacher [who was a roommate for a while] was unreservedly enthusiastic about my playing, even from my earliest fumbling attempts - and was always impressed with ANYone who cared enough to sit down and figure out the notes. I'm that way too - if I see that someone has actually worked at it, I am TOTALLY supportive.
It drives me so nuts when someone sniffs and says "I heard a couple of mistakes - " or "I don't like that kind of music." What jerks! Did they EVER actually bother to learn to play an instrument? Do they even know the difference between the dense chords of Chopin [that a breathing person is reading from a score and pushing down the keys] and some over-produced elevator music?
To everyone here who even tries a little bit, I say: "BRILLIANT! - Good Work! It Sounds Great! I respect you for trying, and for selecting something so nice to work on! Keep at it! I'd listen if I could, and ignore the mistakes. THANKS for keeping a respectable art form alive and not just vegging out in front of the television.
Just venting.....

Re: Sneaking piano time #969756
02/22/05 06:18 PM
02/22/05 06:18 PM
not in Japan anymore
ShiroKuro Offline
4000 Post Club Member
ShiroKuro  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
not in Japan anymore
Husbands and pianos... it's a difficult combination. I don't have a digital anymore (traded it in years back when I got my acoustic, yea!!!) so there's no way my husband can avoid hearing my practicing. Because of our schedules, there are only about two days a week when I can practice in an empty house, and the rest of the time, when I'm at the piano, he's usually sitting right behind me at the computer! He rarely comments or compliments, but actually I think it's a miracle that he just doesn't go insane and set my Hanon and Czerny books on fire and hide all my other sheet music! I practice an average of maybe 2 hours a day, and he has to listen to it, all the time. But he does accompany me to recitals, and when I ask him to listen, he does. He turns off the TV when I ask. So I can't complain I guess. (although I love to practice when he's not home, and I hate the mouse and computer keyboard sounds he makes when he is here, but I would never say that to him!) Balance, it's all about balance!

Started piano June 1999. My recordings at Box.Net:
https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: Sneaking piano time #969757
02/22/05 06:55 PM
02/22/05 06:55 PM
idaho
T
teachum Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
teachum  Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
T
idaho
So right, Shirokuro.. But my hubbie seems to have accepted that for now, at least, I am a little out of balance. I am so enamoured of my new Estonia! He is very supportive! I'm surprised he hasn't gone nuts as much as I am practicing. Gulp - three hours plus a day!

Rafi - it is so funny that you have resurrected two of my ancient threads today! Yes- it's great that we are all trying!

Re: Sneaking piano time #969758
02/22/05 07:13 PM
02/22/05 07:13 PM
Decatur, Illinois, USA
M
Mathilde Offline
Mathilde  Offline
M
Decatur, Illinois, USA
Well, what bugs the heck out of ME is that when I practice when my husband is around, he COMPLIMENTS me. He's thrilled to pieces that the "little woman" is playing the piano, because where he comes from, that's what nice bourgeois "ladies" do, is play the piano. So it makes him feel very manly and breadwinner-ish to have me play the piano ("his" piano), but as for ME, I'd just as soon not have an audience happily peering over my shoulder while I'm laboriously plodding through "On Wings Of Song" for the umpteenth time. laugh

Re: Sneaking piano time #969759
02/22/05 07:30 PM
02/22/05 07:30 PM
New York
jasper_garcia Offline
jasper_garcia  Offline
New York
Man, it's terrible when you're really excited about something and others cant share that same passion with you. Though I'm the type of person that does things in a "seasonal" type of way, I really enjoy my hobbies (not that I have many).

My girlfriend doesnt seem at all interested in piano. It's a bit disappointing as it's a chore to get her to listen to "what I just learned." Not that she has to enjoy it just because I do, but it would be so much better! She's mentioned a little something about guitar though, maybe if she learns to play that we can play together! Guitar + piano can make really great music!

Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it. [Salvador Dalí]
--------------------------------------------------------------
Re: Sneaking piano time #969760
02/22/05 10:34 PM
02/22/05 10:34 PM
Tillamook, Oregon
Jerry Luke Offline
500 Post Club Member
Jerry Luke  Offline
500 Post Club Member
Tillamook, Oregon
Originally posted by teachum:
Have to go play now - he is on the internet so I can play for a couple of hours. He has this flying thing he does.
He wouldn't be using Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004 would he? I'm a big user (check out my profile). Maybe I know him. smile

Support our troops!
Re: Sneaking piano time #969761
02/22/05 10:49 PM
02/22/05 10:49 PM
idaho
T
teachum Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
teachum  Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
T
idaho
No he does sonething called Fighter Ace. It used to be owned by Microsoft, but not anymore. It's real time stuff.

Re: Sneaking piano time #969762
02/22/05 10:57 PM
02/22/05 10:57 PM
The South
N
Nuaetvoaw Offline
Nuaetvoaw  Offline
N
The South
No he does sonething called Fighter Ace. It used to be owned by Microsoft, but not anymore. It's real time stuff.
We both share in our agreement of said matter! thumb

"He with whom neither slander that gradually soaks into the mind, nor statements that startle like a wound in the flesh, is successful and may be called intelligent indeed. ." -Confucius
Re: Sneaking piano time #969763
02/22/05 11:00 PM
02/22/05 11:00 PM
Tillamook, Oregon
Jerry Luke Offline
500 Post Club Member
Jerry Luke  Offline
500 Post Club Member
Tillamook, Oregon
Bummer. I'm not into the fighter simulations. When I fly real time (on the internet), it's in general aviation aircraft.

Support our troops!
Re: Sneaking piano time #969764
02/23/05 05:28 AM
02/23/05 05:28 AM
Canada
SAMoore Offline
2000 Post Club Member
SAMoore  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Canada
Originally posted by Rafi:
THANKS for keeping a respectable art form alive and not just vegging out in front of the television.
Ditto!! I've practically lost ALL interest in TV. I do sit to watch a couple of shows with my husband, but if it (the TV I mean) went away tomorrow I'd be happy.

It's the journey not the destination..
[Linked Image]
Re: Sneaking piano time #969765
02/25/05 03:26 PM
02/25/05 03:26 PM
Ottawa
middlec Offline
middlec  Offline
Ottawa
It's disappointing to hear some of the stories of people not having support in their musical pursuit and having to reserve their practicing for when their significant other is out of the house. If I'm anything like a typical piano player, to me a little encouragement goes a long way.

I really have to consider myself lucky that my wife is as supportive of my playing as she is. Mind you, it probably helps that I mix in songs that I know she likes during my practicing. If it weren't for her I would never have learned to play the theme from Amelie.

Moderated by  BB Player 

New In Our Store!
New In Our Store!
key racks with hand sanitizer
Attn: Piano Teachers, Music Teachers, Studios!

A rack made from actual piano keys, with individual hand sanitizer for each student!
Tons more music related products in our online store!
New Topics - Multiple Forums
"Advanced Fingering" and Playing HUGE intervals?!
by MacMorrighan. 09/22/18 12:15 AM
broken yamaha p-105
by tad105. 09/21/18 09:56 PM
daily planners for tunings
by musicbased. 09/21/18 02:58 PM
A visit to Cunningham Piano
by Sanfrancisco. 09/21/18 12:56 PM
kimball vs sohmer
by luisdent. 09/21/18 12:56 PM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Steingraeber
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics187,427
Posts2,747,147
Members91,062
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission