2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
43 members (AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, Carey, danno858, 9 invisible), 1,245 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline
This is my first recording of this, it's got some stumbles and I know I'm rushing, but any comments and criticisms would help.

Thanks,

Cara

http://www.box.net/shared/olnr3lzfs2

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Nicely done! This is easily one of my favorite pieces in the literature. It allows itself a certain simplicity and manages to be pleasing and attractive without resorting to being merely "pretty."

I'd suggest a couple of things. First, try to feel four bars at a time. Shape the LH so that we hear a longer line and not individual measures so much. I like your RH shape and phrasing, just be sure to let the LH contribute. (Keep the LH balanced, though. Your RH could sing out a bit more in spots.)

You're right about the rushing, but the good news is that it's consistent. You tend to rush crescendos. Every place you have a crescendo, try to broaden slightly. Think of crescendos as filling up a balloon - as the sound grows, the phrase will stretch very slightly as it fills up with sound.

The other way to fix the rushing issue is to count aloud. Count numbers, make up words, whatever you're comfortable with. The goal with this piece is to sound conversational. Think of each phrase like a sentence. All sentences have beginnings, middles, and ends. Some of your phrases start abruptly. Don't feel too compelled to be rhythmic; don't feel obligated to be "on time."

Another word on phrasing. Let the phrases come from your arm. Imagine your arm is a garden hose. The sound flows through like water. If there's tension - a kink in the hose somewhere, you'll lose control over the tone and timing. It's a mental image I always keep with me, maybe it'll help you too.

Overall, your playing comes across as sophisticated. It sounds like Hindemith. It's clear and warm (very good work with the pedal, by the way), and I'm guessing there's some real thought behind the interpretation and choice of repertoire. By all means finish it up and record and post the rest.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
My friend, Allison Brewster recorded this for Naxos--she also studied with Adele Marcus. here's the link:
http://naxos.com/catalogue/item.asp?item_code=8.570401

OP Offline
Thank you for the advice. I had my lesson today and I have a lot to work on, but I should be able to do it. JBiegel though I have naxos through my school I have to go through a specific page and I only find the Idil Biret recording.

Keisler thank you for all the imagery, I'm trying! It is difficult to get this piece right. I'm only doing the first movement for now and if I have the motivation (which may be very doubtful) I may do the rest. (I only need 4 semesters of lessons at school as a requirement for my degree.)

Because I am not a performance major it really isn't my priority, right now it is because I have lessons, once lessons are done with it won't be something I work on so much. But I'm not sure I've learned a lot and I don't necessarily want to lose it.

Thanks again,

Cara

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission