2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
43 members (AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, Carey, danno858, 9 invisible), 1,245 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#967954 10/27/05 09:51 AM
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Hi Folks

I have just uploaded my latest recording which is "Walk On By"

I have reduced the quality of the sound a little and would warn dial up users it may take a while.

If anyone could give me some feedback on the sound quality and also the time of the download it would be most appreciated

here is the link

http://uk.geocities.com/lee.holt@btinternet.com/

regards

Lee

Twitter: @Seaside_Lee
#967955 10/27/05 10:23 AM
I clicked on your link but got this message: "Sorry, this site is temporarily unavailable! The web site you are trying to access has exceeded its allocated data transfer." frown

#967956 10/27/05 10:57 AM
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Hi dvdiva

I am working on it frown

apparently I have to wait an hour, hurrrrumph frown

Lee

#967957 10/27/05 10:58 AM
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Its sorted

Let me know if it works now?

Lee

#967958 10/27/05 11:16 AM
Ok it works now! smile Download time was less than a minute. The sound quality is great. What's your equipment? And the playing is not too shabby either -- I'm enjoying it and currently singing along!

#967959 10/27/05 11:24 AM
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
hi dvdiva

I recorded it on my Yamaha CLP170 from the audio outs straight into a home hi-fi CD burner...grabbed it on to my computer and converted it to MP3 with Nero(hope that makes sense?)

Are you broadband or dial up?

Glad you liked it and could sing along ...excellent laugh and thankyou smile

regards

Lee

#967960 10/27/05 11:25 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I just tried it....
I just got the same message dvdiva got earlier...
sorry

I'll try it again later

I have my own weapon of mass destruction in the form of a "teenage" German Shepherd. Anything she spies and can get ahold of is fair game.
#967961 10/27/05 11:31 AM
Originally posted by Seaside_Lee:
hi dvdiva

I recorded it on my Yamaha CLP170 from the audio outs straight into a home hi-fi CD burner...grabbed it on to my computer and converted it to MP3 with Nero(hope that makes sense?)

Are you broadband or dial up?
A home hi-fi CD burner, wow I wish I had one of those. I use broadband. smile

#967962 10/27/05 11:35 AM
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
sorry wolfindmist frown

This is annoying me now mad

flipping "btinternet/geocities! (grrr!) cursing

It seems its getting too many download requests

It is just a little project of mine that may become something bigger later on...so bear with it.

Strange it never did this on the first piece? (which I've taken off)

regards

Lee

looks like I may have to spend some more money to get a bigger site frown

#967963 10/27/05 11:38 AM
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
hi dvdiva

A home hi-fi CD burner, wow I wish I had one of those
It is only a cheap Sony RCD-W3...I think they can be found for less than a $150 now...if you shop around wink ...I bought mine for around £150 a few years ago

Lee

#967964 10/27/05 12:20 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
My guess is that all the interested PW members are lining up to hear it now.... laugh

I'll just wait until the line goes down.

Sound like you have a "hit" song to me....

It is amazing what a little PW publiocity can do... LOL

I will try later... don't you fret.
Happy playing and recording.
Wolf
-----------------------------
Seaside Lee wrote:

sorry wolfindmist frown

This is annoying me now mad

flipping "btinternet/geocities! (grrr!) cursing

It seems its getting too many download requests

It is just a little project of mine that may become something bigger later on...

I have my own weapon of mass destruction in the form of a "teenage" German Shepherd. Anything she spies and can get ahold of is fair game.
#967965 10/27/05 12:33 PM
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Hi wolfindmist

Sound like you have a "hit" song to me....
Erm...I don't think you'll be saying that when you hear it ha

And I think the hits are most probably coming from all my mates and family and everyone that knows me ....that I've just emailed...I cannot for one moment imagine a PW invasion wink ...but, its a nice thought smile

It seems to be wurkin' now

regards

Lee smile

#967966 10/27/05 01:36 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I' ll have a go at it after I get back from the local costco; they have on of those piano dealer shows going on and I want to see what they bring in.

Last time; they had some CW's. I am just curious, not shopping for another piano to add to my vision of having a nice collection of pianos. Need more money and house right now.

I sure would love to have a nice used grand.

I am looking forward to hearing your recording of "Walk On By".

Wolf

#967967 10/27/05 01:58 PM
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Hi Wolf

How many pianos do you have already?

I would love a grand aswell

Whilst holidaying in Texas this summer I found a Steinway store and managed to play on a 9' Steinway (totally awesome IMHO) along with a lot of smaller ones...I could have stayed all day but, Mrs H was watching the clock and tapping her fingers in boredom...(grrrrrr!)

Now all I need is those 6 numbers on Saturday to come up and I can buy a mansion with a West Wing to fit one in wink

have fun at costco smile

regards

Lee smile

#967968 10/28/05 03:08 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Dealer show was over.... I just missed it as it was the other week when I wasn't feeling well. Oh well.

I did play on a digital Suzuki piano (with a black cabinet and lid with two prop sticks, & looks like a tiny dwarf grand with speakers instead of strings) going for a price imo is a bit higher than I'd want to pay for something like it. Plus it lacked some things that the stage piano I tried at Guitar Center had.

It wasn't bad really (had 176 sounds) and many different piano sound samples.You could do layering. And you could buy disks full of songs and do Karaoke with it. It'd be great for a first "piano" or for an apt., practice room, condo, small cafe or dorm. But not practical for gigging around with I would think.

But I don't need the pretty case anyhow and it would look bad after being hauled to and from gigs. I prefer the new Yamaha ES 90 I played at guitar center last weekend.

BTW It was pretty amusing when all the employees came by to enjoy my playing; they thought I did a wonderful job of demonstrating the piano to folks passing by.They wanted me to stay until some company "big wig" comes in (yes an employee called the guy a " big wig" , but the employee seemed young and not too business savvy).

I got so many compliments from the passing customers also. I should have hunted down a brandy sniffter for tips. Or asked for a commision if I sold some of those digitals.

Now I wouldn't mind having one of those dwarf grand digitals as spare practice piano and a fun toy; and I wouldn't mind one or two added to the nursing facilities arund here either. If I lived in an apartment I would consider it also.

But I can also add that even though the newer digital pianos can sound pretty nice I prefer nice real pianos. Especially Grands and the nicer big uprights.

I have one big nice old upright.... and a bunch of cheap keyboards I rarely play unless I have to.
Some of the keyboards I wore out before I got my Henry.

Nothing electronic/digital beats a nice piano, no matter how good the sound system and speakers. Some may come close and be some fun to play with/ and do some cool things on. But there is something special about the natural sound of a real nice piano over the digital sound.

My vision is to have a grand (probably a nice older grand from a reputable dealer ), my Henry, and a new better stage piano. I figure having both a grand and an upright would be helpful to me as I usually play uprights and grands.

And even though I also sometimes am forced to use a spinet at some gigs..... I don't want a spinet to practice on in my home. I want to forget about my spinet experiences after they are over. (my own form of PTSD is Post Traumatic Spinet Disorder and I do have nightmares in which I can only use a really bad spinet to play in front of a bunch of people).Sadly I have the same experiences in my waking life with one of the worst spinets I have ever played. I pray someday the place that has it will get something better.

Anybody else tried the Small Suzuki Digital Pianos sold now at Costco?

Now.... after answering the questions and rambling on as usual.

I will try out that recording of yours. It is late here now so maybe it will work better now.

#967969 10/28/05 03:37 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
smile f yawn yawn

#967970 10/28/05 05:15 AM
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Wow Wolf

What a great story sounded like fun ...and you will have to make sure you take a tip jar with you next time!

Henry sounds grand laugh

PTSD...funny thumb

I used to use fake books in my first year a whole lot (the ups and downs of melody being my main problem, also known as "Seaside_Lee Affliction" which is getting nearer to being cured wink )...but, I bit the bullet to cure my affliction and ditched them to work melodies out totally by ear about 12 months ago ( I still sometimes use the fakes to check whether I've got the melody right or maybe say if I can't remember the bridge exactly?) so "Walk on By" was almost totally by ear...with a splash of Seaside_Lee mixed in

thanks for taking the time to reply laugh

regards

Lee smile

#967971 10/31/05 07:19 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Great recordings Lee! I especially enjoyed your playing in the video over on the PianoMagic web site.

btw, have you seen the book "How to Play the Piano Despite Years of Lessons? I was wondering how it compared to Anderson's method. From what I saw of your playing, it appears very similar. Of course it doesn't include video or sound clips, so the PM site would still be very useful, but I'm curious about how similar the two are.

#967972 11/01/05 10:26 AM
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Hi Bob
Great recordings Lee!
Thnaks Bob I liked your Sudnow recording too cool

btw, have you seen the book "How to Play the Piano Despite Years of Lessons? I was wondering how it compared to Anderson's method. From what I saw of your playing, it appears very similar.
I own that book its cheap too about $11 from amazon if I remember - bargain! (the similarities are amazing! - but, somehow from completely opposite directions?) I like that book it is very good. However, the book misses the simplicity behind everything in modern music which Mike teaches you, i.e. "to think like music thinks" (which is actually so simple even I get it wink ) once you get it you are free to play whatever you like in whatever way you want to and is a whole heap of fun in the process help (I hope you see I'm not too evil now ? ha )

Thanks for listening and taking the time to post you made me feel good laugh

Lee smile

#967973 11/01/05 12:30 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
"Thanks Bob I liked your Sudnow recording too"

Eh, I'm not all that proud of those recordings. smile They were made very shortly after I learned the music, so they are much slower than they should be. I just listened to As Time Goes By again and I had to wince because it was so slow. shocked I'm getting much better though, as time goes, er, by. wink

I can imagine how unnerving it was to be videoed like that. Given that, the playing of you and the others is even more amazing.

The Despite book is packed with information, and for the price, it's a bargain. Unfortunately, the book and the PianoMagic stuff is going to have to wait 'til I have more time. frown

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission