2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
24 members (johnesp, clothearednincompo, crab89, JohnCW, Georg Z., David B, 9 invisible), 1,260 guests, and 290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#967573 08/03/07 08:06 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Sorry about the recording quality - I don't have access to a decent piano or recording equipment at the moment. All comments/criticisms appreciated!

http://pianoped.com/audio/granados.mp3

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
I'm casually familiar with the piece from listening to it. I have never played it or looked at the score, so I'm pretty useless in offering any serious critique or even any detailed suggestions.

I enjoyed it a lot. How's that!

What were you playing on? It doesn't sound so bad. The piano sounds like it has some length. I hear what you mean about the recording quality though. It loses some fidelity in the treble especially, and when there is any volume in the treble. The only pianistic thing I would ask about is the left hand in the opening few bars. It almost sounded as though the left hand was uneven rhythmically, though this could simply be my lack of familiarity with the piece. It certainly is a complicated little rhythmic structure.

Best,

David

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I loved your interpretation.

I liked your imitation of the guitar. and the ultra clear lines in the treble

G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Kreisler, as usual, I loved your playing of this composition. Although I am familiar with the piece having heard it played by others, I am not qualified to make suggestions. I really liked your interpretation. The rhythms of this composition are tricky, but your playing was crisp, and like Bassio, I too liked your imitation of the guitar. Gaby Tu.

B
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
Kreisler,

I enjoyed listening to your "Playera" very much. It was very engaging.

It brought back my playing of it to mind, and I just must question you on something. Keep in mind that my piano teacher at the time was a vocal and choral teacher primarily who played piano well enough, who was also a bandmaster in the military, who later got a doctorate in music, I'm not sure in which study - perhaps it was composition.

I learned this with a strong, resonant,rhythmic entry, then a strong legato melody. I enjoyed it very much and it sounded like Flamenco guitars. At the time I was a young teen, so what did I know? I could barely pronounce the pieces and the composers!

I have the music somewhere and will get it out again because I'm very curious how I could have missed the "crisp" sounds and keeping the bass so quiet at times that you did. Your tempo is also faster.

I simply must rework it after all these years and maybe find other recordings too, since it is so beautiful and rhythmic, and not easy to keep movement going, at least at the time I probably lacked the stamina for it, but I really played it in a "basso profoundo" voice!

The neighbors won't like it if I look for it at the moment, but I can't wait to get my hands on it tomorrow. Beautiful piece, and I want to see what and where I was missing it.

Do you have any suggestions or comments?

Betty

OP Offline
I should mention it's not me playing. Was just interested in comments. This interpretation is a bit different than what I've heard and wanted to see what people think.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
B
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
So, Kreisler, what am I supposed to think?

If you know this piece, can you please respond to the differences you might have heard based on the "standard" for it, or did this interpretation seem right on to you? If you read my posting above, you can see that I really "differed" with it. Of course I learned it about 50 years ago. I was assuming it was you, "the expert" playing it, and "I'm just the neighborhood teacher", you know? And, I was amazed at the difference between "mine" and "yours". (This is really funny in a way!)

Now, I feel a little messed up with the contrast! Can you elucidate? (Actually, I know you can elucidate quite well, please have at it!)

Yeow!

Betty

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission