2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (AlkansBookcase, 36251, benkeys, Charles Cohen, 20/20 Vision, bcalvanese, booms, Bruce Sato, Carey, 9 invisible), 1,922 guests, and 266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I am starting teaching and hoping to find some beginner and/or advanced beginner students.

I was planning on putting out 10,000 8 1/2 by 11 flyers each week in my newspaper's Sunday papers over an 8 week period. (total of 80,000 flyers) The flyers are simple with a direct message inviting people to experience "the joy" of learning to play the piano, and also offering a free lesson.

I wondered if anyone has ever done flyer ads of a similiar nature, and if so, what percentage response did you get?

Based on what I read about this advertising I would hope to get about 1/4 of one percent phone calls from the flyer and 1/14 of those as students which would be around 14 new students. Can anyone comment on this?

I know word of mouth is the best, but I just moved here and don't really know many people yet.

I have never tried it, but depending on the demand in your area I would think that it would be a very effective way of advertising. I have heard with flyer adds that people have to see an add an average of three times before they phone, so I would recommend sending them out more than once. But it seems like a very professional way of advertising.

Registered Private Piano and Flute Teacher
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yes-I appreciate your thoughts about this. I think I am going to try it.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Karen, I have no idea what your local paper charges for this, but ours is very, very expensive. I have found want ads as very inefficient. Few people read the paper any more. Depending upon costs, you might look at direct mailing for an area of a couple mile radius around your studio. Even that's relatively expensive. It's also possible to request a mailing list of students enrolled in public school (at least their addresses) so you can target mailings to the appropriate age level.

Finally, you might try hiring some teens to deliver a flyer to homes in your immediate area.

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
John, I agree with you about classified adds in newspapers, but I would consider a flyer delivered with a newspaper quite different from a want add. Direct mailing might reach more people though. Definitely worth looking at the cost of each.

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Originally posted by John v.d.Brook:

Finally, you might try hiring some teens to deliver a flyer to homes in your immediate area.
This might be more effective than the flyer in the paper. I know that I don't even look at the fliers in my local paper; I just toss them in the recycle bin.

Although you'd have to wait until school started, I think one of the most effective ways to advertise is to send flyers home from school. Especially with younger students, parents are looking through their kids' folders/backpacks daily for homework etc. and would see the flyer.

E
E
Originally posted by Monica Kern:
[QUOTE]Although you'd have to wait until school started, I think one of the most effective ways to advertise is to send flyers home from school. Especially with younger students, parents are looking through their kids' folders/backpacks daily for homework etc. and would see the flyer.
Or, just send letters to school music teachers with your contact info and background - they are always getting inquiries from parents about private piano lessons.

smile

Elaine

M
M
Originally posted by elainelynn:
Or, just send letters to school music teachers with your contact info and background - they are always getting inquiries from parents about private piano lessons.

smile

Elaine
I was just going to suggest this! Get to knwo the musci teachrs in your area, especially in the elementary schools. You may even want to call them up or meet with them, but that may not be easy to do. But once people get to know your name in the community, it really helps. Also, you may be able to post flyers with phone number tabs at local music stores, so get to know your local music dealer as well.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
B
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
Get your listing going on some of the music teacher directories with your profile, photo, info etc. Get a website going with one if possible. 1) Learning Musician 2) Lesson Portal 3) Click for Lessons there are several to choose from. Then get some business cards telling people to "Google" your name. if you are already on the internet with articles, postings, etc. I priced "Coffee News" for a 13 week period and found it very desirable but not affordable for my small business. It might be affordable for others as everyone seems to read the local publications and they are available everywhere. Doing things in person really helps, get out and meet the people, however that is possible in your area. And maybe join MTNA via a California chapter? Good luck. Let us know how you are doing! Hope this gives you a few ideas.

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally posted by Monica Kern:
Originally posted by John v.d.Brook:
[b]
This might be more effective than the flyer in the paper. I know that I don't even look at the fliers in my local paper; I just toss them in the recycle bin.

Although you'd have to wait until school started, I think one of the most effective ways to advertise is to send flyers home from school. Especially with younger students, parents are looking through their kids' folders/backpacks daily for homework etc. and would see the flyer. [/b]
I don't *ever* look at the fliers in my local paper either, yet, it was through a newspaper flyer that I found my tax accountant.

I would be interested in knowing what the approximate cost of inserting a flyer in a local newspaper might be. Certainly, the best time of year to do that is the beginning of September. It might be money less well spent if it were done during the summer months.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
T
T
Karen

I have had very good luck with fliers in the past, but I delivered them door to door. I didnt do nearly as many as you are thinking about and I got several students from this. I think it's a great idea.

Good luck!!

Many printing places will even do up door hanger flyers for door to door delivery. Also depending on your budget and how many students you want to recruit, the business card magnets are great. They stick to metal doors and tend to hang around houses longer than flyers.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
You know, Stephanie, that might be a gold mine. The magnetic stickers. If you could get the schools in your area to place them in welcome packages for 1st graders, or give them to local "Welcome to our community" groups that hand out welcome packages.

Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The cost for flyers in the paper is around $250 per 10,000. If I did it I would use stiff paper. Our newspaper does not usually have flyers of this nature in it; the advertising consists mainly of newspaper thickness advertisements in classified format. So they would probably get noticed. The magnet idea is really cool, and I agree it seems like they would stick around awhile. Another idea I thought of is to attend a local festival and have a little table with a music poster/flyer there and something to take home about a free lesson ....and my phone number....Okay...this will be more fun than my first career....

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
An even faster way to deliver the flyers would be to hire teens . . . who rollerblade!

Diane,
Blues/Jazz/Rock/Boogie Piano Teacher

http://www.pianoworld.com/Uploads/files/goldsparkledress.jpg
Diane
Jazz/Blues/Rock/Boogie Piano Teacher
[Linked Image]
T
T
Here, we have actual flyer delivery services who will go door to door and distribute. When I checked into it once the cost started at about 250.00 and went up from there depending on how many flyers you wanted delivered. I see these people all over the place and I get flyers myself all the time on my door.

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
I've done the flier-in-the-newspaper idea. The cost was similar to what was mentioned above but I had to have the fliers already printed (an additional cost), then I had to take them to the newspaper. And I think it's more like 10% response. Yes, it's pricey but I look at it like this: if one person signs up and stays for the year, it's paid for itself. And if more students sign up, that's where you make your money.

I've only done fliers once. I like it better than putting an actual ad in the newspaper because newspapers are throw-away material, and the chance of someone seeing a flier is much better than a small ad in the paper.

For the same price as quoted above, you could do direct mail advertising. It's good to try a few things and see what works. The key is to get your name out there in a variety of ways so that people will remember your name.

***I'm trying something new in the next few weeks: I will be part of a TV informercial that features various local businesses. It's a 2-minute spot that's part of a 30-minute program. It will run several times a week. Cost is $400 a month for a 3-month committment.

Music School Owner
Early Childhood Music Teacher/Group Piano Teacher/Private Piano Teacher
Member of MTAC and Guild
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
karenabcde - $250/10,000 sheets is an excellent price, IMHO. What you might consider doing is going in with two or three other teachers who live in other parts of town and come up with a joint flyer featuring the three or four of you as piano teachers. There may be other music teachers who would be interested. For example, at Tuesday's teacher's meeting, a new string and voice teacher introduced themselves. They would be prime candidates for joining you and sharing advertizing expenses.

D3 - thanks for the feedback. It's nice to have some verification of whether an idea is practical or not.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Oh-the $250 per 10,000 flyers includes the art work. All I have to do is give them my draft and they will put it into printable form at the newspaper art department.

Teens who rollerblade!!!
So what list company has a list of houses with children in it?

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
If you look in the Yellow Pages under 'Mailing Lists', you'll find several nationwide companies. You give them the zip codes you want to target, the age range (say, 0-10 or 0-18), minimum income (say 40K), and homeowner or apartment dwellers. The cost is per 1000 names/addresses.

Music School Owner
Early Childhood Music Teacher/Group Piano Teacher/Private Piano Teacher
Member of MTAC and Guild
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission