Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
67 registered members (alexk3954, atcsam, AZNpiano, basebase, ando, astrotoy, agraffe, 16 invisible), 782 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Teaching in the Summer #962923
02/12/07 10:01 AM
02/12/07 10:01 AM
california
T
Tara Offline OP
Tara  Offline OP
T

california
I usually take the summer off from teaching, but have been giving some thought to continuing thru the summer this year.

Im curious as to how many teachers teach during the summer monthes and what it is like for you.

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Teaching in the Summer #962924
02/12/07 10:20 AM
02/12/07 10:20 AM
Mo.
sarabande Offline
1000 Post Club Member
sarabande  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Mo.
I teach during the summers but students tend to miss more lessons during the summer. Some students have to change their lesson time to the evening as they are in day long summer camps. Some are able to come during the day.

I haven't charged students for missed lessons in the summer like I do in the fall and spring. I'm planning to change that for this summer. I'm going to charge a flat rate due at the beginning of the summer for the entire summer regardless of the number of times the student comes. The cost will work out so that if they don't miss any lessons, they will in actuality be getting a certain number of lessons free. If they happen to miss a few lessons, they won't have been penalized cost-wise.

Re: Teaching in the Summer #962925
02/12/07 11:09 AM
02/12/07 11:09 AM
OH
mjelle Offline
mjelle  Offline

OH
I like teaching in the summer. A lot of kids seem to have more time to practice since they are not in school, and have less activities. We usually get more accomplished in the summer. I don't think this is true for all students though. Some just get in that summer mindset, and want to enjoy their summer, and pool visits and such come first. I wish more students would take advantage of the summer for lessons though. Think about all the time they spend doing homework, they can spend on piano in the summer! Wishful thinking maybe!

Re: Teaching in the Summer #962926
02/12/07 11:24 AM
02/12/07 11:24 AM
California
D
dumdumdiddle Offline
1000 Post Club Member
dumdumdiddle  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
D

California
Summer months can be a bummer for your income as many parents decide to take a 3-month break. I decided to change that and make my teaching year a 10-month year, breaking for July/August. I'd been researching local dance schools and found that they went until the end of June, culminating w/their recital. Since the public schools in my area ended mid-June, I would schedule my recitals just prior.

In July and August I do a variety of weeklong music camps, with each day being a different theme. Kids come for 2 hours a day for 5 days.

I know many teachers who require students take 6 lessons in the summer to reserve their spot in the Fall.

Music School Owner
Early Childhood Music Teacher/Group Piano Teacher/Private Piano Teacher
Member of MTAC and Guild
Re: Teaching in the Summer #962927
02/12/07 01:21 PM
02/12/07 01:21 PM
Northern California
Knabe26 Offline
Knabe26  Offline

Northern California
I teach year-round, with the summer months being no different. My students can take up to 4 vacation weeks, not paying for those weeks, with one month's notice. I also ask that not more than two of those vacation weeks be used in any one month, so that students will be paying for at least a half month. I offer makeups, if possible, for those additional weeks taken off. Most just skip them. July and August are my leanest months. I do occasionally have students who want to take the summer off. When they do that, they come back in the fall to an available slot, but it might not be the slot they left.

I also like that there are fewer activities in the summer. Most of my students practice more then than during the school year.

Perhaps another reason year round works for me is that we have multiple school districts in the area, plus private schools, of course, and some are on year-round rather than traditional schedules.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
www.cameronparkpiano.com
Full-Time Private Piano Instructor
Re: Teaching in the Summer #962928
02/12/07 05:44 PM
02/12/07 05:44 PM
Alberta, Canada
Piano&Flute Offline
Piano&Flute  Offline

Alberta, Canada
I give students the option of summer lessons and advertise the summer as the only time of the year when students can pay for the weeks they want to come...no charge for weeks they are out of town. I push for summer lessons with beginners especially explaining that a student who has only been taking lessons for a few months will most likely forget everything over the summer. I am debating the idea of running summer group sessions this year, maybe offering more opportunities to work on duets or ensemble pieces. It's a tough situation around here though as the expectation is that summers will be lesson free.

Registered Private Piano and Flute Teacher
Re: Teaching in the Summer #962929
02/12/07 07:17 PM
02/12/07 07:17 PM
Williamsburg, VA
Piano*Dad Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Piano*Dad  Offline

Williamsburg, VA
My son's teacher used to take the summers off. So that's when I found another teacher over the summer. Kids who are motivated can make GREAT strides over the summer, and my son has done so every year even when he takes six week breaks for summer academic classes and family vacations. There's nothing like all that free time to create an environment in which 2-3 hours of piano per day seems easy to manage.

BTW, his teacher now offers some summer classes.

Re: Teaching in the Summer #962930
02/12/07 08:30 PM
02/12/07 08:30 PM
Olympia, Washington, USA
John v.d.Brook Offline
7000 Post Club Member
John v.d.Brook  Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Olympia, Washington, USA
What a fun topic wink

Like D3, I work a ten month teaching year. Summer lessons are much less stuctured, are a bit longer, and I offer parents a discount on a 2nd lesson taken the same week. Usually I restrict lessons to T-W-Th, so I can enjoy extended weekends with my wife thumb

I have found that students who are in town and study through the summer often progres more in that 8 wk period than in the Fall term!

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
Re: Teaching in the Summer #962931
02/12/07 08:39 PM
02/12/07 08:39 PM
Pennsylvania
Ken Knapp Offline

2000 Post Club Member
Ken Knapp  Offline

2000 Post Club Member

Pennsylvania
My piano teacher has lessons over the summer but has two breaks throughout the year. In June he has a recital and there are no lessons for two weeks following the recital. In December he also has a recital and no lessons for the month of December.

During the summer he charges week to week rather than by the month.

Ken

Ken

Hammond Organ Technician
Piano Torturer
Re: Teaching in the Summer #962932
02/14/07 12:59 PM
02/14/07 12:59 PM
Kailua-Kona, HI
P
PianoTeacherKim Offline
PianoTeacherKim  Offline
P

Kailua-Kona, HI
I teach most of the summer, though anywhere from 1/4 to 1/2 of my students take summer off. I plan my income on the teaching year, though, because I just never know what will happen in the summer!

I usually take August off entirely - it's the most common vacation month, and I end up with the most cancellations as families are trying to do things before kids go back to school.

My adults are grateful that I teach in the summer! smile

Unquestionably, for kids, summer is a great time to take lessons. Practicing goes up and stress goes down.

Best,

Kim

Find some help for stage fright and share what helps you -- Stage Fright Tips. Let's learn from each other!
Re: Teaching in the Summer #962933
02/16/07 09:39 AM
02/16/07 09:39 AM
california
T
Tara Offline OP
Tara  Offline OP
T

california
Thanks everyone for all that interesting info. I agree that summer is a time (or should be!!) when kids have a lot more free time to practice.

It sounds like for most of you, it is definately a different "feel" than the rest of the year as far as regularity, number of students, etc. Thanks again for your valuable input. Tara

Re: Teaching in the Summer #962934
02/16/07 04:46 PM
02/16/07 04:46 PM
Michigan
nuteachr Offline
nuteachr  Offline

Michigan
This is what I do:

I teach for 6 weeks out of the Summer - mid June to the end of July. This gives me the month of August off to plan for the following year.

Because students are off and on vacation here and there, this is what I require:

I charge a flat rate, per lesson for the Summer Session.

The Summer Session is 6 weeks long.

In order to "hold" or "reserve" a place for Fall Enrollment in September, I require all students to take a minimum of 4 lessons (1 month) during Summer Session. To maintain flexibility with the students' schedules, I allow them to take their 4 lessons (or all 6 weeks worth if they choose) in 3 ways:
1. 4 (5 or 6) lessons in consecutive weeks
2. 4 lessons scattered throughout the 6 week period
3. a one-week (4 or 5 day) workshop.

This structure has worked great for me! Students don't go for 3 months without practice, I get my time off (August) and I still get a paid for the month of July!

Hope this helps

Re: Teaching in the Summer #962935
04/19/07 06:46 PM
04/19/07 06:46 PM
Stanny Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Stanny  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I usually teach about 1/2 my students in the summer. Those who take usually improve much faster since they have more time to practice. This summer, I'm going to teach my summer session from June 4- August 1. I have 3 packages available...9 weeks, 6 weeks and 4 weeks, and ask for payment in advance. I hope this works out to be easier than last summer, when kids were always asking off for weeks for camp and vacations.

Nuteacher, I like your idea of requiring 4 lessons to hold your fall spot. I'm going to add that to my policy!

~Stanny~

Independent Music Teacher
Certified Piano Teacher, American College of Musicians
Member: MTNA, NGPT, ASMTA, NAMTA
Re: Teaching in the Summer #962936
04/20/07 02:01 PM
04/20/07 02:01 PM
Texas
O
okietransplant Offline
okietransplant  Offline
O

Texas
I teach five lessons in the summer. I schedule them around vacations and camps. (I do like nuteachr's idea of a six-week option). If I had a set time period that I taught, I don't think I would have many students. But I do take off a week here and there, to go to convention or vacation. I don't require the lessons at this time, but I may move to that point (I'm paying for my daughter's private college tuition starting next year!). I really encourage the summer lessons and try to make them fun. This summer, I am offering a piano ensemble option - if I have enough sign up. It's amazing how much kids can learn during the summer, and it's also amazing how much they regress and forget without summer lessons.

Re: Teaching in the Summer #962937
04/21/07 06:05 PM
04/21/07 06:05 PM
Boynton Beach, FL
Morodiene Offline
Morodiene  Offline

Boynton Beach, FL
These are some great ideas! I always have trouble with students "forgetting" their lessons, or telling me that the mean to take summer lessons and just forget to call to set them up. I like the idea of paying for them all in advance, so that if they forget, I'm not obligated to reschedule. What do you guys do to encourage students to sign up?

I'm also thinking of offering a piano (or voice) group lesson. Any suggestions on how to do this (how long per day, how many sessions and how often, etc)?

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: Teaching in the Summer #962938
04/23/07 11:51 AM
04/23/07 11:51 AM
Chicago 'burbs
lalakeys Offline
lalakeys  Offline

Chicago 'burbs
I "officially" teach all year, but I am much more flexible during the summer months, as usually my students (and I!) want to take a couple of weeks off to relax, travel, etc.

I encourage my students to continue taking lessons regularly throughout the summer, with maybe 3 or 4 weeks off (letting me know at least a month in advance when they will be gone). Sometimes I schedule an informal recital at the end of August, as a celebration/performance opportunity for those who want to show off what they've accomplished. And most parents seem to realize the value of continuing the discipline of piano study through the summer months. Some students actually find that they have MORE time to practice without the distraction of homework, field trips, etc.

Just what works for me ! smile

Private piano & voice teacher for over 20 years; currently also working as a pipe organist for 3 area churches; sing in a Chicago-area acappella chamber choir

Moderated by  Ken Knapp 

Shop Our Online Store!
Shop Our Store Online
Shop PianoSupplies.com

Did you know Piano World has an online store, and that it's loaded with goodies pianists and music lovers want?
Check it out and place your order.

Special Purchase!
Keyboard and Roses Piano Bench Cushion Keyboard & Roses 14"x30" piano bench cushions Regularly sold for $79 to $100, now only $39. (while supplies last)

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Today's Google Doodle Creates Bach Harmonies
by jazzyprof. 03/21/19 01:26 AM
Kawai GL10 confirmation bias
by Emery Wang. 03/21/19 12:21 AM
Any kawai GX, SK owners?
by kokatla. 03/20/19 10:22 PM
CHECK OUT LOT 60
by martin snow. 03/20/19 07:28 PM
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics191,011
Posts2,808,753
Members92,831
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission