2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (Colin Miles, bcalvanese, 20/20 Vision, booms, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 10 invisible), 1,924 guests, and 261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
#962661 02/18/08 04:12 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Maybe you haven't read my posts too well. The knuckle player and the wicked witch player can be indistinguishable to the untrained eye.

#962662 02/18/08 04:44 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by keyboardklutz:
Maybe you haven't read my posts too well. The knuckle player and the wicked witch player can be indistinguishable to the untrained eye.
How? In knuckle motion there's no gripping/curling motion towards the palm. There's just a downward motion, the fingertips don't slide.

#962663 02/18/08 04:56 PM
In a 'grip' the fingertips don't slide.

#962664 02/20/08 01:57 PM
B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
It happens to me too, but I think it's because of the size of our hands. I'm probably wrong, though. For me it happens when I can't reach the right notes while my hand is holding the rest of the notes down--usually in chords or running-notes passages. This is when my joints collapse into flatness and it's bad, but I'm learning how to prevent it.

Hope I explained it okay. =D

"Music can name the unnameable and communicate the unknowable." -Leonard Bernstein
#962665 02/20/08 05:53 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by sweet_melody:
It happens to me too, but I think it's because of the size of our hands. I'm probably wrong, though. For me it happens when I can't reach the right notes while my hand is holding the rest of the notes down--usually in chords or running-notes passages. This is when my joints collapse into flatness and it's bad, but I'm learning how to prevent it.

Hope I explained it okay. =D
It's not bad. Round arched fingers are usefull in certain passages and flat fingers in others.
For example over the black keys the fingers should be flatter. And if you must hold a key down and play a 7th or 8th up it's normal and benign that your fingers and hand will flatten. The correct position is a basis to maintain and return to as often as possible but you can devert from it when needed. I wouldn't try to play octave with the same round arched fingers and high palm. I would instead opt for long flat fingers and palm.

#962666 02/21/08 02:35 PM
S
S
I'd like to reinforce what Danny Niklas wrote on 2/17 about the importance of proper seating. You might explore the photos demonstrating how to make some adjustments at TheBalancedPianist.com.

#962667 02/21/08 04:31 PM
M
M
sunshine: welcome to the forum. Could you expound a little on the proper posture and seating for pianists?

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
#962668 02/22/08 04:52 AM
Originally posted by Danny Niklas:
In fact I have often seen that in a proper sitting height and position it's hard to make the nail joint collapse even if you want to.
You claim to understand the physiology of piano playing. Could you please, in less than 2,000 words, explain the mechanism for this? It is one of your more bizarre statements.

#962669 02/23/08 03:39 AM
Danny!?

#962670 02/23/08 04:00 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I missed this post. I don't know of any "specific" mechanism for that nor I claimed there's a "specific" mechanism for that. It is just empirical observation. The reason is probably that is far easier to compensate by collapsing the nail joints when the hand is not in the proper position, actually when the whole body and arm and wrist are not. A very low wrist for example helps the collapsing of nail joints. In other words there are positions that direct the pressure in a way that it doesn't promote the collapsing of joints. It seems to me like joint collapsing happens when pressure is put on the nail joint itself and the knuckles are let free to collapse. The finger is somewhat divided in two units when this happens: the nail joint and the other two phalanges. When pressure is directed towards the knuckles and the finger contract as a whole unit and no individual pressure is put on the nail joint it doesn't collapse that easily. In fact a conscious redirection of contraction and pressure must be then used to allow the nail joints to collapse.

#962671 02/23/08 04:11 AM
It seems to me like joint collapsing happens...
That's not quite physiology is it? Thank god you aren't studying medicine - "It seems to me the heart should be round the..."

#962672 02/23/08 04:46 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
[b] It seems to me like joint collapsing happens...
That's not quite physiology is it? [/b]
No it is not. I don't think this can be explained by physiology being a completely different mechanism involving balance and alignment.I don't think you can provide a better explanation either. And your example with the heart is clearly absurd. We're not dealing here with correct anatomical information but with a multi-factorial mechanism.
For example an uncorrect height promote the collapsing of the wrist which promotes a different kind of use and different focus of pressure of the playing apparature. It is compensation when balance is lacking. Have you found a reason yet as to why you can't tolerate pulses or just resort to sensations and observations?

Would you relax a moment? You seem always to look for a fight or to suffer from an excess of pungent sarcasm. Find a way to control your emotions and your mood swing. I feel sorry for you. Maybe you should remove also dairy and wheat.

#962673 02/23/08 05:32 AM
Danny, I'm not quite sure anything calls for getting personal.

The problem is you are handing out advice left, right and center, which, frankly, you just make up. I'll ask just once more - What is the physiological mechanics of body alignment wherein 'it's hard to make the nail joint collapse even if you want to'?

#962674 02/23/08 06:07 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Danny, I'm not quite sure anything calls for getting personal.

The problem is you are handing out advice left, right and center, which, frankly, you just make up. I'll ask just once more - What is the physiological mechanics of body alignment wherein 'it's hard to make the nail joint collapse even if you want to'?
Why you are looking for an anatomical tendon-ligaments based mechanism? It is simple.
Compensation by wrong posture and alignment creates a different conscious use of pressure and of contraction. The collapsed nail joint belongs to a person who is collapsing the knuckles and putting pressure on the nail joint rather than treating the finger as an unit and directing the pressure on the knuckle. There's no reason to hypothesize predictable and specific physiological pattern. If you sit too high you will compensate by collapsing the wrist. The person sitting too high might focus on preventing the wrist from collapsing but it will be very hard to prevent.
Once the person is put on the correct posture the wrist in such a balanced position that it's very hard for it collapse. It's a bit like cables above and below keeping something balanced. As long as the tension is even there's an extraordinary balance which is hard to disrupt. If you change the tension from the cables the tendency is not anymore over balance but over compensation in one direction with weight and pressure directed toward that. This is not a specific anatomical principle of the fingers or hand skeleton so stop pretending I should explain anatomy to explain this observation of mine. Don't look for tubianan pertinence when there isn't any.

#962675 02/23/08 06:54 AM
Why you are looking for an anatomical tendon-ligaments based mechanism?
Because it is the tendons that support (or don't in the case of nail-joint collapsing) the structure. No amount of sitting high/low/'on your head' is going to change that.

Working with posture and proper height of the bench I noticed that when this has found the nail joint don't collapse anymore. In fact I have often seen that in a proper sitting height and position it's hard to make the nail joint collapse even if you want to.
This is total nonsense. For over 200 years piano teachers have wrestled with this problem. Suddenly a Swiss teenager just thinks up the answer? Get real.

#962676 02/23/08 07:57 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
You're wrong on this matter. What I said, and someone else confirmed, is that how you sit makes a difference in the way the whole playing apparatus feels, function and compensate. Hence how the muscles contracts, how our mind control contraction and release, how and where we apply pressure and whether we develop a correct kinestetic sense and body map of our fingers, hand, arms and their position is affected by how we sit and balance at the piano. This is not to say that IT IS the only solution. You are a poor example of balance and good posture so don't seem like you should comment with such arrogance.
If you want my opinion I'm happy to spend time writing it and you are free to disagree or agree in a civil manner. If you just want to harass find someone else who wants to play this pathetique game of yours with you. Stop acting like and old frustrated bitter man with misanthropic tendencies.

#962677 02/23/08 08:02 AM
Working with posture and proper height of the bench I noticed that when this has found the nail joint don't collapse anymore. In fact I have often seen that in a proper sitting height and position it's hard to make the nail joint collapse even if you want to.
So this is a different Danny Niklas?

#962678 02/23/08 08:09 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
[b]Working with posture and proper height of the bench I noticed that when this has found the nail joint don't collapse anymore. In fact I have often seen that in a proper sitting height and position it's hard to make the nail joint collapse even if you want to.
So this is another Danny Niklas? [/b]
I confirm that a proper position of the playing apparatus makes nail joints collapsing hard because it changes the whole control of the whole playing apparatus. I confirm that this is not everything there's to it and the only solution to the problem. In fact I said it is worth checking this aspect. I confirm that there's no excuse for your obnoxiousness and rudeness and that there's nothing sane or normal on you reacting like this to my claims as if your personal honor is being threatened. **** your honor, is there anything more useless?

#962679 02/23/08 08:25 AM
Civility, as Tony Hancock once famously observed, costs nothing my man.

#962680 02/23/08 09:30 AM
Yes, indeed in regards to civility. Could those of us reading silently be permitted to consider the suggestions by merit, without being peppered with words such as "total nonsense", sarcasm, or non-pertinent information in regards to the contributor's age or nationality, as though that were a factor. It is unfortunate to see the other party then goaded into responding in kind. It is distressing to watch people with contributions of merit water down that merit through a style of argument. Others are watching on the sidelines, hoping to learn a thing or two.

I suggest the following: two sides of a same puzzle. While some participants may consider it to be a debate of opposite, I am busy collecting the Commonalities, tossing them together with a grain of salt, and I am feasting on a delicious Common Sense Salad. Want to join me? Look at each other's contributions again - look for what makes sense rather than what refutes your point of view - and enjoy the expanded perspective.

I would also suggest that if one tends toward intellectual argument, and the other toward the method of having something tried out physically, to adopt each other's style. If the argument is in the doing, then "do" to find out. I am no expert in this field, but in those areas where I am expert, I have yet to cease learning from others.

The principle of posture, height of the arm, are not the new inventions of a young man who in his particular environment must have spent almost a young lifetime with excellent teachers. I have ben taught some of these things by someone much older. It's also on page 3 of my grandmother's piano book, printed in something like 1895. That book holds a bit of what both of you are saying - a point to ponder. In fact, it begins with a drawing of the structure of muscles and tendons which I would like to scan when I have my equipment working again, in case it is of interest. That book would tend to encompass the viewpoint embraced by either of you, in one lengthy treatise that precedes the exercises.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission