2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
45 members (CyberGene, 3x4rt, Dazzie2, Greta99, 36251, EVC2017, BachToTheFuture, donpi, iliverez, 9 invisible), 387 guests, and 399 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
what do your students love to play?
#959657 08/11/06 01:32 PM
K
KatieB Offline OP
OP Offline
K
I'm gathering repertoire to start teaching soon. Judy Magrath is helping (great book).

I just wondered what some of your students' favorite pieces were. I'm not trying to win a popularity contest here but if given a choice between something that's BORRRRRING and a similar piece that they enjoy that teaches the same point, why not use the ones they like?

Please jump in and help. I start teaching in less than 2 weeks.

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: what do your students love to play?
#959658 08/12/06 11:14 AM
Virtually anything published by Nancy and Randall Faber is great! My students really love the reperoire.

#959659 08/12/06 12:36 PM
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
KatieB,

It would be a good idea to advise likely respondents of the following information:
1. Pupil ages
2. Musical experience ... raw beginners?
3. Individually taught or as a class
4. Teaching times
5. Support groups ... teachers or parents?

Armed with the above information,teachers from the Forum will be able to correlate your goings on with their own activities and come up with something helpful to your start in a fortnight.

#959660 08/12/06 01:03 PM
K
KatieB Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Hi South Africa.

So far I have seven students, twins eight years old who had one year. I met them but no lesson yet and they didn't play for me.

I have a very shy 14 YO girl who plays so quietly I don't know how she does it. When she played for me she played Hanon and Czerny then Chopin's Prelude in B Minor the one where the LH has the melody. She has a touch like I've never heard and I'm not sure if she even plays to the base of the keys but it's controlled. Good hand balance.

The other 4 are beginners, 3 kids who are seven i think and one who is nine.

#959661 08/13/06 02:34 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Here's a link to an old post where I made a list as well as a few other's lists that you might find helpful although I don't recall getting a ton of replies. One thing to watch out for is the arrangements of some popular or familiar tunes. Sometimes the arrangements are so watered down and sound nothing like the original tune and the students notice this. I made the mistake once when I first started teaching having 2 students who were siblings learn some songs from a $20 pop music book written with easy arrangements. Although there was some great songs kids would love in the book, the arrangements were simplified to the point of sounding horrible. The students really disliked the book and so did I. I do like the Faber and Faber arrangements mentioned. Bastein has some good books for supplemental music. Also the Denes Agay series. These are just off the top of my head.

Well, here's the link I mentioned:

student\'s all time favorite music

Have fun teaching!

#959662 08/14/06 12:36 PM
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
KatieB

As a grandfather with the magic of youth constanting throwing up reminders of the highly individual paths which each leads ... one thing is clear to me in following their dreams ... children learn quickest by play (having fun) than by any stuffy teaching ... how to educate through the medium of play has happily been highlighted by you.

With this in mind, standard primers should be avoided ... children at an illiterate stage are totally dependent on the spoken word ... they have to learn through their ears ... we think of the wrapped silence given to the story-teller ... the alphabet and it's conversion into words is still a distant hard-won adventure ... in the meanwhile we teach them with tunes and singalong words ... Nursery Rhymes.

Here's a successful gambit worth trying with small fry based on the certainty of having "Happy Birthday" in their memory bank... what greater challenge at the new keyboard than to find the 5 notes to "Happy Birthday to you ..." starting from (Middle C) ... but described as the white note left of the set of two black notes, and ... then steadily searching out the notes to progress through the whole tune.

Next: The same routine but starting with (C#) ... but described as the LH black note of the set of two black notes. The teacher might like to play the complete arrangement of "Happy Birthday" using both hands (and sing the words) to give the pupil a glimpse of the finished product. Even better to repeat the tune from C# to conjure the marvel of modulation.

By this time the pupil might register the need to name the notes and mark them up on the keyboard ... even use of an "X" will represent the first steps towards the sight-reading format.
Nursery Rhymes can provide and infinite source of material for early keyboard progress.

In the case of the 14 year old girl ... the key to her heart is likely to be opened by a teacher who can play the Chopin B minor Prelude like Askenazy and share a passion for this gem. I've just played through the Prelude and had to make a brown-study cup of tea to slowly unhinge myself from the astringent effect on the psyche of this haunting masterpiece ... maybe girls can handle this gem ... but can't imagine the boys come close.

In a similar age group I had the experience of playing through a series of show-stoppers to find a sutable "carrot" to lure Michelle ... and strangely, after having a gallop through the tired old "Moonlight" (grandmother of course thought it was divine!) ... and skating round the worn-out "Clair de Lune" and a Chopin Nocturne ... none of which had done anything to animate the blue-eyed pupil ... I chanced in desperation on the playing of Andrew Lloyd Webber's "Memory" ... what a change ... it was as though I had just opened the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow ... look no further ... Michelle certainly knew what she wanted ... there was no quenching the enthusiasm ... at the later Xmas family-gathering she played the first movement of the dreaded Moonlight, "The Teddy Bears Picnic" and "Memory".

The moral of the story is to base any musical teaching on the dreams of the pupil. The words to "Memory" are not exactly Keats but certainly captivated blue eyes.

"Midnight ... not a sound from the pavement,
Has the moon lost her mem'ry? She is smiling alone".

#959663 08/17/06 11:01 AM
K
KatieB Offline OP
OP Offline
K
btb
Thanks for giving me a wonderful idea. I can see going places with that idea. Thanks.

Moderated by  Ken Knapp 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our October 2020 Free Piano Newsletter is Here!
---------------------
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia L225 loses tune very quickly
by M_albert - 10/20/20 01:49 AM
Piano Safari Christmas collection
by ebonykawai - 10/19/20 08:59 PM
Another "beginner" piece w/twist
by MilesAbbott - 10/19/20 08:58 PM
Sostenuto Pedal....in an upright?
by Duaner - 10/19/20 06:38 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics202,315
Posts3,015,360
Members98,949
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission