2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (aphexdisklavier, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, accordeur, antune, 11 invisible), 1,784 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline
Hello all,

I've heard it said that there is actually a formal system established in the teaching of western classical music by which you can determine a piece's "grade" level.

So, two part question.

1. Is there a musical "grading" system for determining which "year" a piano student is in, judged by what they can do and what they know, and not just by how long they've been studying?

2. Is there a related system for determining which "grade" a particular piece is suitable for?

Thank you so much, in advance.
Dino.

B
B
Here are some links. I don't know if it will answer your questions(?)

http://www.abrsm.org/resources/perfDip05Part2.pdf
(These are the advanced pieces; on the ABRSM pages you'll find link to their 1-8 grading)

http://www.bccmexaminations.ca/syllabus.html

http://www.pianoworld.com/Uploads/files/Graded_Pieces_Sorted_By_Difficulty.PDF

btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
If nobody else is going to say thank you
to buxtehude for the great links ... I'd like to convey a special vote of appreciation for a
real eye-opener grading of all keyboard classics.

Thanks again buxtehude.

B
B
You're welcome.

P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
Just saw the lists.

Excellent. Thank you buxtehude!

Private Piano Teacher,
member MTNA and Piano Basics Foundation
O
O
Okay, I have a question: what do those grades refer to? Say, a grade 7 piece is a piece that a piano student should be able to play after 7 years of playing piano, right?

B
B
No, just a grading from easy to difficult, beginner to advanced.

N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Wow, this is great. I have a very hard time telling what is within my range and what isn't, so sometimes I suggest things that make my teacher have to summon up her most creative ways of kindly telling me "Too hard." Now I can check the list before I ask.

Nancy

Estonia 168
OP Offline
buxtehude,

It wasn't that the links weren't helpful that I remained silent, but I have a practice for internet interactions. If I give somebody a link, I give them some kind of context and info. so that they don't have to do "all" the work and exploration themselves. Since I know what I'm posting in the link, it's not that hard to do.

When you hardly answered my question in any way, I just looked at it as, a ton of hard work that you didn't even think was worth the 3 minutes it takes to write an intro to, or to write a summery of how it addresses my question.

Later in the thread, somebody asked another question, which essentially restated my original, and you did answer that. Why not just answer the original with two or three sentences.

Even though there was no introduction I did open all the links and got from it what I could.

I just think that there's so much work on the internet, and in life, if we really are trying to be helpful we can at least give brief summaries of what we're offering since we know ourselves already. I don't know, just seems like a kind and productive way to be.

D.

B
B

OP Offline
hum, let this be a lesson to those trying to use sign language on a chat board. smile

B
B
Alright, D, I got so angry, reading your answer, that I'm sure the moderators would have shown me the door if I hadn't deleted my post in time. Now I'm calm again.

B
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B
I'll add my thanks to the chorus. Since I'm studying on my own, one of the hardest things for me to do is find pieces that are challenging for the level I'm at while at the same time being playable. To this point, I've relied on having an "ear out" when listening to classical CD's and music on the radio for pieces that "sound" about right - problematic at best. The grading system really helps and I've already identified a couple of pieces I want to take on.

Thanks much for the links. Glad you deleted your angry retort, it's great having helpful people like you around!

Greg
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
For the web impared, try Maurice Hinson's book, Guide to Pianist's Literature, and for intermediate level material, Jane McGrath's book of similar title.

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
AJB Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
It is an interesting list that Buxty posted. I enjoyed having a cruise through. I don't necesarily agree with the gradings of some pieces I know (for example I would list the Chopin Nocturnes in a different order). Horses for courses I suppose. A

C212. Teaching. Accompaniment.
The gradings on that list are horribly inaccurate, for example they say Chopin's 3rd prelude is harder than his 8th? That's like saying an ant hill is taller than mount everest.

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission