2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
33 members (Animisha, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, fullerphoto, admodios, busa, drumour, Foxtrot3, 3 invisible), 1,240 guests, and 263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Jelena Offline OP
OP Offline
Hello,

While desperately looking for the original score of this piece, I ran into a thread on The Classical Piano Forum that mentions it. I have a photocopy of a photocopy from decades ago, made from the original my Russian teacher had. Everyone else I found in the US so far are in the same boat as their students lost the originals. Now, one of my students is not allowed into a state competition because we can't provide an original score - yet many played from photocopies in other competitions! It doesn't matter that the music is out of print, has been published over 50 years ago and is therefore in the public domain - these people are just heck bent on not allowing a photocopy!

So, I searched everywhere, including contacting music stores and publishers in Russia, teachers of students who performed it that I found to date ... nobody has an original any more. Let's just say I looked all over the world, and the search produced nothing.

So, I am appealing to everyone on this forum that might have the original, or knows someone who has it - could I PLEASE borrow it next month? I'll pay for FedEx or UPS delivery both ways if I could borrow the original for a week. The competition is exactly in a month, but I need to know ASAP if I can get the score from anyone. Or, if there are originals floating out there, someone would like to sell them - I'd also be willing to buy as many as are offered (other teachers I talked to would like to replace their copies). Please respond either way, and please do it ASAP - I need to know. Thanks!

Musically yours,
Jelena Vladikovic, B. Mus., M.Mus.
Founding Teacher, National Music Certificate Program
DMA Candidate/TA ASU Piano Prep/Conservatory Program
Email: jvladikovic@cox.net
http://members.cox.net/jelenavladikovic

Musically yours,
Dr. Jelena Vladikovic, NCTM
Kawai Artist
Piano and pedagogy Professor, Grand Canyon University
Founding Teacher, Royal Conservatory Music Program
Member, College of Examiners: Royal Conservatory
Center Representative, Royal Conservatory
www.vartabedianpianostudio.com
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Hi Jelena, sorry, I don't have a copy, but for your information, the copy right period here in the USA is not 50 years, but either 95 or 100. Yes, I know it's 50 in most of the rest of the world, including all of Europe, and since he only died in 1981, it's going to be a long time before it becomes public domain here.

Do you know who the original publisher was? Do they have a USA representative? If so, call them and ask them to send you an authorized copy. I've done that with other out of print material with no problems, as long as you can show it came from a publisher and was paid for.

Good luck.

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
Jelena Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally posted by John v.d.Brook:

Do you know who the original publisher was? Do they have a USA representative? .....

Good luck.
It was NEVER NEVER published in the US, or anywhere out of the USSR for that matter! So, I am basically S.O.L. and so is my student.

Musically yours,
Kawai Artist
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Jelena, several of the old Soviet publishers did have US representatives. The question is how to find out who they were. I see that students at Juilliard have performed this work, so you might contact their librarian and ask if they have any loan arrangements, can identify the Soviet publisher, if they know who the US representative is, etc.

Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Jelena, I just listened to the Variations on NPR's From the Top. What a delightful piece. I wish you success. Perhaps some of our European friends can query their music distributors and see if a copy can be found. I would love one myself!

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Jelena:

I sent you a PM.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
Jelena Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally posted by John v.d.Brook:
Jelena, I just listened to the Variations on NPR's From the Top. What a delightful piece. I wish you success. Perhaps some of our European friends can query their music distributors and see if a copy can be found. I would love one myself!
Found it thanks to this forum's reader. He gave me the volume and ISBN, I searched Russian sites and found the rest. No wonder nobody could find it - it is in Book 2, Volume 5 of the Allegro - Intensive Piano Course published in Russia in 2001; the course author is T. Smirnova (ISBN 5-7873-0015-9), and the publisher is "Grail" (Издательский дом Грааль in Russian). Since I have connections in Moscow, it should be easy to get it. Problem now is that only books 4 and 6 from Book 2 of the series are currently available from most sellers. But, it's possible some of the stores in Moscow still have it. Stay tuned! :-)))

Musically yours,
Kawai Artist
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Wonderful!

O
O
Dear Jelena,

Just like you I was desperately searching for Berkovich: Variations on a Paganini Theme. I found ISBN that you provided, however, the book is out of stock currently in Moscow and I was not able to purchase it. Have you been successful in getting this book? If yes, could you please share it for competition? (I can buy it or if it is impossible I can use it and return it back you). Or may be you could let me know how I can get this book.

I would greatly appreciate your advice and help.

Thank you,
Olga

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission