2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (David B, AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, dh371, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, 10 invisible), 1,199 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
K
OP Offline
K
Does anyone have suggestions for marketing to get students for morning lessons? I've thought of offering reduced rates and contacting home school programs. I'm up for any ideas. Thanks!

Keith Phillips

www.keithphillips.net
Piano technique for all levels
www.keithphillips.net/AdvancedPianoSecrets.htm
B
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
Hi Keith,

I, myself, wouldn't want to do it - but, are you talking about early bird mornings before the middle school/jr high/hs students go off to school? Or reasonable, mid-morning 9:00 to noon?

Senior Citizens? A music retailer with space for teaching? Group "Music Appreciation", "Master Classes", "Themes such as certain era's, specific composer's might get you a "series" of 1 to 2 hour "events" where you meet many (over time) pianists or music lovers who become "occasional" students to follow up on study of music from topics from your events.

The events could be done publically and the teaching could be private at your studio.

Actually, you could do this idea at any time of day or early evening. Be seen doing it, put invitations in the newspaper "arts events" columns where they have them (email them in advance). (You can't advertise a business venture - but in the interest of getting well known - everyone you meet and greet is important.

Have your photo and bio to distribute - as well as business card. Be your charming self. Develop and sell your services for "music education and performance' events.

Who knows? Oh, maybe create video things in your spare time for long term distribution and marketing.

Become an accompanist for ______ ? Get thee before an audience. I don't know about early though.

As far as early goes, I usually am, but not this morning. Those late nights listening to barbershop chorus rehearsals are wonderful, but sometimes leaves me so elated, that I sacrifice sleep. This morning is one of those! Go "Harmony Kings!"

Betty

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Home schoolers by definition are usually individual families who are not involved in programs. However, they form support organizations in order the encourage, advise, and access resources, and as such there are newsletters and meetings. For a homeschooling family, daytime is "school time", and a piano lesson can be part of the "day time curriculum". If you want daytime students that might be a source.

Homeschoolers come in two broad stripes. There are independent minded families who have their own ideas - sometimes a handicap is involved in which a child would have needed a "special program". The other side of the coin are religion-based: churches who don't like evolution taught in school, or other values. In that case your resource may be certain denominations.

Adults who don't have a 9 - 5 job, and senior citizens.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Clearly people who have 9-5 jobs and children still in school are not your target audience for the morning time slots.

So who is left?

- Senior citizens or retired individuals
- People who work a swing or graveyard shift
- College students (who have some flexibility in their classes)

Have you considered contacting senior citizen centers and asking if you can put on a performance (assuming they have a piano)? I think this is a great way to introduce yourself, and give them a taste of what they could be doing. They have lots of free time (probably looking for something interesting for them to do), so that shouldn't be a problem.

You could also go to college campuses and put up fliers (or again, offer to perform at a college sponsored function), offering them student discount rates.

You could also take out an ad if your local newspaper or any other widely circulated local publication, again offering discount rates for mornings.

Tell your current students that you're offering discounted morning rates and for every student they bring in that signs up for a morning slot, you'll give them X lessons for free.

Find as many Internet sites like this as you can and start signing up, again, promoting your discounted morning rates.

I think if it were me, I'd offer the first lesson free of charge, in order to induce them to put their foot in the door. This will allow you the opportunity to further convince them why they should study with you.

C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
A few years ago I had a number of school-age students who came before school, that is, 7.30, 8.00 and 8.30. It worked very well for me (I'm an early bird), but the only reason it worked for them too was that I lived within walking distance of a school. My marketing was purely word of mouth, and the time seemed to suit a lot of families who would drop the child off and then leave him/her to walk the short distance to school after the lesson. If you live anywhere near a school, it's a possibility, and a spot in the school newsletter might help.
I now have mostly adult students, who come during the morning (but later!). I've also taught some home-schoolers in the middle of the day. It really helps with scheduling, as usually everyone seems to want the after-school slots and there are only so many 4pms in the week!

Du holde Kunst...
I market to home schoolers but only have one. I think it's because they are doing school work during the day, just like public school kids.

Don't forget mobile home parks. Usually, you can go to the rec room and put up a flyer.

Usually, the seniors have had lessons in the past and want to take it up again, so make sure you put that in your flyer that you cater to that.

Jerrie, Piano Teacher
http://www.eastcountymusicstudio.com
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Just want to bring up this topic again. How do you fill your morning time as a piano teacher?

~piano teacher in training~
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Wow, what an old thread!

Originally Posted by hello my name is
Just want to bring up this topic again. How do you fill your morning time as a piano teacher?

Once in a blue moon I attend workshops, master classes, or other events with my MTAC branch. I also get together with colleagues and work on certain passages or play some pieces to get fresh ideas.

Very few of my colleagues cater to the homeschoolers. A few teachers try to corner the market on the 3-5 year old kids by teaching private or group lessons in the mornings. I prefer working with kids who can actually retain information.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Morning is when I practice, when I'm not accompanying college dance classes. If I have too much going on in the mornings it's hard to find enough practice time. But I do have a few morning students. Many adults find morning to be the best time for a lesson, if their work schedule isn't the typical M-F 9-5. Kids/grandkids are in school and there aren't many other activities competing for their time. As AZN said (sort of), young children are often at their best in the morning, and that's a good time for them too.

Some places have active homeschooling networks that you could reach out to. I do teach two homeschooling families but they found me in the same ways everyone else finds me.

Heather Reichgott, piano

Working on:
Mel (Mélanie) Bonis - Sevillana, La cathédrale blessée
William Grant Still - Three Visions
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Our teacher has 12 adult students, and pretty much all of them take lessons before 2 PM. I'm the only exception, as I work 10 hour days and then have to compete with the younger students after school hours.

Down here in lower slower Delaware there is a thriving market for the adult piano student, especially older ones over 50.

Yamaha C2X | Yamaha M500-F
Groucho Marx: "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
Curriculum: Faber Developing Artist (Book 3)
Current: German Dance in D Major (Haydn) (OF); Melody (Schumann) (OF)

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission