My posting is about the time I have spent this morning visiting New York City by internet. It must be the season! "Autumn in New York" and then the coming Holiday too.

New York attracts me from childhood memories of taking the train into New York City on New Year's Eve with my mother and sister for several years, and watching the ball drop in Times Square, visiting the stating rink at Rockerfellar (sp)(never allowed to try skating there, though, I might have fallen down - worryworts!). Seeing Radio City Music Hall tour, Rockets, Empire State, all on a one day trip over several years, probably 4 or 5. Now how a widow with two daughters could afford to do this is beyond me! But, it remains very memorable, and we stopped doing it when I was about 12. (From New London, Conn., by the way!) My only other trip into NY by train was a school trip to visit the Opera in 7th grade.

So, this morning an article in NYTimes brought me to the concert scene with "Bad Times, Good Prices" (link) Discounted and Free Concerts – Very encompassing list.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/10/arts/10chea.html?_r=1&th&emc=th&oref=slogin

And, I also cruised the Metropolitan Museum of Art "store". How absolutely wonderful to have the time, interest, and enjoyment of things far out of my reach in distance.

The MMA also has a calendar of events, lectures, concerts. I've never thought to look there since I'm not on the East Coast, I'm in this small (arts uneventful) community...at least that is how I would describe it.

So, I'm suggesting that anyone needing a "brief trip out of town and into the arts" just find a subject and pursue it via internet.

My next "tour" will be Winslow Homer and his wonderful seascapes and maritime art - being a New Englander, and responding to things nautical and marine, this will provide another time of adventure for me, I'm sure.

So, off topic for piano teaching maybe, but rejuvenating for the hard working piano teacher....we never cease needing the "break" from our "careers".

Betty