2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
46 members (AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, Carey, CharlesXX, 9 invisible), 1,289 guests, and 300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Varcon:

Adults are more predisposed to have ideas about their ability than children and that can be a big hindrance in their progress.
How so, Varcon? I had expectations, but sitting on the bench quickly disabused me of the idea that I had ability compared to kids just because of my age and life experience.

Also, teachers, when an adult calls you and wants lessons, do you do anything to check them out to make sure they're serious? If they think it will be a breeze, do you just let them start lessons and find out otherwise?

What do you do if they balk at scales or exercises or something else you want them to do but they don't want to do?

And, just for fun, how many adults have told you that they think learning piano will be easy because they are good typists? Or was it just me? laugh

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Cindy,
Since you were disabused of your expectations you survived. Others do not necessarily relent so quickly. As to 'interviews' and seriousness of purpose, yes, I do ask them what background they have, if they have practice facilities, if they have a regular time they can devote to practice, etc. If, when explaining the requirements for success, they seem to become disillusioned, then I probably won't hear from them again. Some have started lessons but, finding that it is work, don't persist.

If they balk at scales and necessary technical preparation, then I first suggest they re-think their desire to play. Some do--some don't.

I'm really amazed that many do think they have the foundation for playing the piano simply because they can type. From my point of view--and I can do both--I see little relation between the two other than it calls for finger facility. To answer your question--quite a few feel that typing is an entrance to piano playing.

Unfortunately, Cindy, I didn't keep count! frown

6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
OK, Varcon. I'm going to screw up my nerve to ask another question.

I understand that piano teachers get annoyed when students don't practice. Why, though? If the student is willing to cut the checks to make pitiful progress due to lack of practice, why is this so bothersome?

I think it's a matter of feeling like our time could be better spent with someone who has practiced.

There's a lot more for me in teaching than the $. If a student continuously doesn't practice, I always suggest they go elsewhere. (occasionally missing practice is expected)
I'd rather spend my time with someone who is progressing than just gathering a paycheck laugh

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Cindy:

Why? If it's chronic then the teacher is naturally disappointed as little or no progress is being made and that is the object of the lessons. It makes the lesson more difficult as the assigned materials are not practised and thus gauging progress cannot be done, new material likely to be put aside--lots of reasons I guess. The lesson itself might be more of a practice session-guided but a practice session--and the teacher would rather see something accomplished for the week between lessons.

At least that is my perspective on your question. I think you must be a more dedicated and sincere student in your efforts so I doubt that you miss too many lessons and practise somewhat consistently. Am I right?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Oh--and Cindy, you don't need to 'screw up' your nerve to ask a question. If you don't ask you won't know. We all have and will ask 'dumb' questions so laugh and move on. Most questions are intelligent and deserve a proper answer. Ask on Piano World and you can get a flurry of answers and many conflicting ones. That's to be expected as training and experiences are different. So, if you wish to ask me a question directly I'll try to answer as honestly and in as straightforward a manner as I can.

6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Varcon, it's the avatar that scares me! laugh

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
My piano teacher told me about an adult student he taught. She was the type who took great pride in her long, impeccably manicured fingernails... you know, jewels and the whole bit.

He told her after the first lesson, "If you're not willing to cut your fingernails, I can't teach you. I don't know how to teach you how to play correctly when you have fingernails that are that long."

She went home, mulled it over and called him back to cancel her lessons! (At least she knew where her priorities lay.)

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Varcon:
I'm really amazed that many do think they have the foundation for playing the piano simply because they can type. From my point of view--and I can do both--I see little relation between the two other than it calls for finger facility. To answer your question--quite a few feel that typing is an entrance to piano playing.
I wouldn't be surprised if they did that brain-mapping scan and determined that totally different parts of the brain are involved in each. They don't seem at all similar to me.

Sometimes I wonder what non-piano playing adults think of any ability I may have. I'm guessing they think it's novel but of little if any use. They certainly don't appreciate the time that was necessary to invest. If you're studying to impress people, it's a losing proposition. They're not worth impressing, anyway.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Cindy, coming from the perspective of an ESL teacher, teaching a student (esp in a private lesson) who hasn't done their homework is awful! The lesson can become a one-way street. And since my adult lessons tend to be in the evenings, when I have had an adult student who never prepares for class, I find that I get very very sleepy during those lessons. I hate it more than anything and would rather not have the money I get for that sleepy hour. I am sure it's much the same for a piano teacher.

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Cindy:

Don't let the avatar 'frighten' you. My favorite breed of dog is the bulldog and the only one I consider when getting a new pet. Faust, my last one, died in July so I'm petless right now. I always take some time in between before getting another. Bulldogs are called the 'gorgeous sourmug' so they look fierce but are one of the most pleasant and agreeable in personality and demeanor--smart too! That's why it's my avatar--not to keep anyone from responding! smile Have a great day!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Oh--and I realize your response was 'tongue-in-cheek!' smile

Cindy,

I think teacher get frustrated when there is no progess made due to lack of practice, that is because we have a heart for the student....becasue we care about them not be able to improve....if we don't care, the we won't get frustrated as long as we get paid....if you have experienced 'no big deal' about not practicing, then you may want to re-consider if the teacher is really serious about teaching.

6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Varcon, Sorry to hear about Faust. Great name for a bulldog, too.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Yes, I conducted a 'name seach' at school with a small prize for the best name that I chose. Unfortunately there were no original names so I just chose 'Faust' and it worked. BTW, my ID is the name of another of my bulldogs and the name of an angel--which he definitely was. I did stray a bit and had a Boxer which I named Nisus. He was a bit more belligerent in nature but a wonderful dog. I don't like the usual, Rex, Rover, Spot, etc., as you can tell.

Ralph

Adult students-
what bugs me is they think they know more than the teacher they hired and 9 times out of 10 don't come prepared for lessons by practicing OR by not doing it the way they are asked to. This surprises me since adults are choosing to do this most of the time and you would think they would put more into it than they do. This is probably why I won't take adults as students anymore.

Students parents- what bugs me here is they get in your face and question every little policy and try to get you to "change it" to accomodate them. I get sick of defending myself to parents about fees and policies in regard to lessons. Since I explain all these at the phone interview and then give it to them in writing it just pushes my buttons when they come back saying "I did'nt know that" or "you never said" when I know I did.

Students at recital- when they fumble through its either anxiety or lack of practice. unfortunately we as the teachers I think get judged harder than the student's poor performance because we taught them. no one thinks "boy they messed up because they did'nt practice" they think "boy, this teacher did'nt prepare them properly". Unfair but true. That is my peeve there.

When a student does not continue- if they are'nt enjoying it or don't want the lessons I'd rather that they quit and do what they like. students who get pushed into lessons by parents who want them to play when the student does'nt its a losing battle on all sides. I'd rather fill my time up with students who do want to be there because it puts my knowledge and skills as a teacher to better use than on someone who does'nt. Keeping a student who does'nt just because a teacher wants the money or because they have a certain quota of students in their studio are keeping students who want to take lessons from taking when they keep "dead wood" on the schedule.

When students don't practice yes it bugs me. I have a sign above my piano in clear sight that reads "if you don't practice don't expect me to want to listen". I explain to students that this holds true not just for lessons but for performances especially. It may not be easy learning some things at first, but the only way hard things get to be easy things is through practice. An occassional bad week of practice is expected from students, but when it gets to be consistent every week they need to refocus their routine to fix what is wrong OR consider if they really want to continue lessons or not.

Do I (have I) ever declined a student because of parents- YES. Parents who are going to undermine the system or be a continual problem are'nt worth putting up with, even if the student is exceptionaly talented or studious at learning.
I've bounced students before because I can't work with the parents without them undermining me or causing problems. Some of them have been gifted kids who are exceptionally good. When I mail the records to the new teacher they end up with I let them know that "parents are difficult to work with" or "parents undermine the teacher" so they know what they are getting into. I don't elaborate unless they contact me to ask for details.

T
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T
Originally posted by princessclara2005:
Cindy,

I think teacher get frustrated when there is no progess made due to lack of practice, that is because we have a heart for the student....
I think this is a good point but does not go far enough.

Even the adults who do practice generally do not make as fast progress as the better children do, certainly not with the same amount of practice time. I practice roughly four times as much as my daughter, and far more efficiently. But she's learning faster.

An even more important problem for the teacher of adults is to somehow accept that most of them will never become really accomplished. The Mozarts in the bunch were already snatched by other teachers when they were 5. If you're dealing with a population of 40 year olds, the chances of an undiscovered Horowitz are really small. The learning process may be tremendously enriching for the adult - but the teacher is likely to hear technical proficiency emerge from only a small fraction of the adults. I think that's really the unconscious disappointment for the teacher. Teachers would like to succeed, and they can with children; adults, like Bob Newhart's patients, tend to never get good. (with rare exceptions) And yet, they are willing to pay their own money, not to get good but to get better.

gotta go practice
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Another question:

I assume some students are more enjoyable to teach than others. What is it that makes a student a joy to teach? Is the student who can tackle huge, complex pieces more fun to teach than one who is a beginner or early intermediate?

One more question, this time posed in my role as piano parent:

For those of you with lots of beginning students, I would imagine it would be difficult to hear those beginning pieces and exercises again and again and again. How do you keep it interesting?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
To me, teaching a beginner is just about as challenging as teaching an advanced student. I look at the material the beginner is working is as difficult for them as an advanced piece for someone already accomplished. They're beginning to assimilate the information and technique while the other has pretty much done that so I can't quite say it's the same.

The 'joy' comes from seeing them progress and understanding what is happening and nurturing their development. Those that respond to the music and work to get something done are the ones that create that 'joy' while the ones that are sluggards are the ones I would hope would quit.

If they improve and progress, then all-beginner, intermediate and advanced- are enjoyable to teach--at least to me.

Your second question--how to stay interested in beginners and hearing the same thing so often--is a good one too. Some avoid the exact repetition by using different courses with students but some use the same books for everyone. I think, for me, it isn't the pieces so much as the response from the student and how quickly they solve that problem. It might be comparable to a teacher of math--they have to hear the endless recitation of tables sometimes or continually work with addition/subtraction, etc. Each year they cover essentially the same material. Certain innovations can help but the basic material still has to be done so that a firm and solid foundation is built. Um . . .Patience is one thing that develops! smile Just my 'two-cents' worth.

T
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T
Just out of curiosity, how many of you have succeeded in getting adult beginners to a level of technical proficiency?

gotta go practice
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission