2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
34 members (busa, benkeys, Burkhard, fullerphoto, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, 4 invisible), 1,288 guests, and 287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
N
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
N
Thanks Chris,

My parents ... well my mum is very supportive. I was just saying to her if I quit music now its like I am amputating my hand. Its all bruised and cut and broken ... if I cut it off I wont have to feel grief and pain. But I'll lose a part of me. She said "there's no use in continuing music studies if you have decided its not for you." Then she took that back when I used that hand illustration. My dad was listening as I clutched her tightly and wept for some time. My mum later said "its not a waste, I'm sorry to say that it was ... You have music ... if its not your career, you still have my support, you have access to a domain which I don't ... You'll have it for the rest of your life." As my dad listened he made remarks that really hurt "its a waste" ... "its not important" ... "you don't need it" ... "she's not talented" ... "musicians are unsuccessful people ... even the talented ones lose out in life ... its a load of bull"

My teachers always encourage me ... all of them ... performing even though I love it to bits I've decided its not for me. I know many that support that statement especially since the industry is so competitive and there isn't enough work. I've decided to cross music off from my list and now I think "whats the point" ... WHY? should I stay?" I'm really wasting people's effort, time and quality of life.

I spend hours a day practicing ... imagine all the neighbours and the parents that have to cope with the noise. I practice at school with an accompanist during lunchtimes ... imagine the teachers in the next room who try to have their lunch, My parents pay a fortune for music lessons for competing, for exams, for sheet music, for books and CD's. And its all going in the bin, its only helping me and it's not helping anyone else. I am selfish.

I've felt very emotional towards this ... I don't know if anyone can really stand it ... If I tell anyone - my teacher or a fellow student I would probably start crying (I've cried many many times this week) ... I don't want to put them through this.

Once upon a time I wanted to be a teacher ... I loved the idea of sharing a skill that I enjoy with people, I love assisting people ... now I think I'd hate to deal with people who don't practice, I'd hate it when I'd have to chase people up for fees, I'd hate it when people don't appreciate my efforts ... Then I wanted to be a music therapist ... I wanted to really help someone ... now when I look at it music therapists are often also teachers ... not many people resort to music therapy and if they do the fees cost an arm and I leg ... I don't want to charge the world for a service like that. It means that not everyone has access to music therapy ...

That's why I don't want to have anything to do with music. At the same time I go around the circle that its my therapy ... its my emotional vehicle I take it away for me its like losing a body member.

N
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
N
Sorry for going off topic ... its kinda on topic ... a little ... should I start another thread?

N
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
N
Just talked to my teacher ... Yes, the concern was there ... "Why do you want to quit?"
... We had some lengthy conversation ... he later said if I want to talk to him tonight or tommorrow then he's phone is available. ...

I cant see the light at the tunnel yet .. thankyou for your helpful words Chris

C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
Another thread might be a good idea. I am surprised that others have not chimed in to help.

It sounds to me like music is what you want to do but you are worried about how you are going to make a living. Those harsh words from your dad are not helpful and are also not true. Music is in no way a waste of anybody's time or money, especially if you do well at it.

Up until the age of 18 I was having nothing to do with music as a career. I was going to be an accounatant just like my dad was. It was what he wanted for me. I took maths and economics at school and hated it. My grades were poor because I wasn't at all interested and found it very difficult and confusing. When I failed these exams my parents finally let me take music and I have never looked back.

I am not sure why you think that dealing with people in teaching would be so bad. All I can say is that whatever you end up doing you will have to deal with s****y people. In many work sectors this can be far worse than it is in teaching.

Most of the teachers here will tell you that although they will never be rich they love what they do. What is more important?

If you love music and love to perform then why not take it as far as you can? You never know what the outcome might be. There are so many ways to make a living with music but the more skilled a musician you are the better you will do. If it what you want to do then focus on becoming the best you can be and everything else will fall into place.

Hang in there.

Pianist and piano teacher.
N
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
N
What do you do on your last lesson when you know they are going to leave?

C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
Rebekah,

You are very well-spoken and thoughtful. I hope you become a teacher some day.

N
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
N
Originally posted by Candyman:
Rebekah,

You are very well-spoken and thoughtful. I hope you become a teacher some day.
Thanks Candyman! I used to always want to be a teacher ... I don't know if you read my traumatic above posts and topic titled "QUITTING!" (it was about a bumpy patch I went through recently.) Anyways, I expressed that I was amazed by teachers that could deal with people. (the ones that don't practice and the ones that rock up with the same silly excuses)

Anyways, after that .. now (I've decided to stick to it) ... I think I wouldn't mind teaching. I'd love to share with people a skill I love. Its one thing to be able to perform and share a musical journey but I have always imagined its another to share the skill it takes to perform.

So, what do you teachers do on the last lesson?

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission