2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (36251, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 1957, beeboss, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, 10 invisible), 1,430 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#952335 10/14/08 08:31 AM
E
ecm Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
E
Hi all, I am not a regular visitor to the Piano Teacher's forum so let me introduce myself.
My name is Dino, I am 18 and I hang out a lot at the Pianist's corner.
So far, I have only performed music but today I got a call from a girl that wishes to be my pupil.

It got me thinking, because I never saw myself as a teacher. I'm not sure I might be a good teacher at all! She wants to play some pretty easy pieces from the classical repertoire.
I am a patient person but what if I get very impatient and freak out or yell at her? eek
I am used to performing very complex pieces and when I go back to these I might get a panic attack after seeing she can't perform them at once.

Any thoughts?
Thanks.

#952336 10/14/08 09:05 AM
M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
Hey Dino, welcome to the Piano Teacher's forum! smile

When my teacher had recommended that I teach, it was a thought that had never occurred to me. When I asked her how would I teach, she said to remember the things that all my previous teachers did with me, and decide what parts I liked and learned a lot from and what parts I didn't, and go from there. But simply because you haven't thought about it doesn't mean that it's not something you should do. I say give it a shot.

Is this student an adult beginner? Familiarize yourself with the various adult methods out there and choose one you think would fit the best for your student.

Some things to keep in mind about teaching and staying patient: if a student doesn't "get" something or is not progressing in spite of practice, see that as a challenge to you to reach them. Why aren't they progressing? How are they practicing? What skills are they lacking that is preventing them from getting better in a piece? This will often keep you from losing your temper, because the responsibility is thrown back at you. Now if a student just isn't practicing, that is a whole other can of worms!

This is an exciting prospect, and full of many joys. It's just one of those things you'll never know if you're any good at it unless you try! smile

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
#952337 10/14/08 06:54 PM
E
ecm Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
E
Thanks very much for your encouraging reply, Morodiene. smile

I have two great teachers and it never occured to me that I learned from them so much in many aspects. Maybe I could apply some of their methods because I know they worked, at least with me.
To teach is a very interesting thing, but you need to be a good psychologist as well, no?
But I guess one learns much by gaining more and more experience.

Thanks again.
Best Regards.

#952338 10/14/08 07:44 PM
M
M
And you will be surprised at how teaching helps your own playing. Someone told me that there are 3 consecutive steps to learning:
1) Observing/watching
2) Doing
3) Teaching it to another

So often this last step is neglected, even though it is so vital. As far as the psychology goes, yes, being able to read people and react to them is extremely helpful, but it is a skill as well that can be learned.

Let us know how things go! laugh

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
#952339 10/16/08 04:49 PM
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
ecm, your teachers probably prepared you for teaching whether you know it or not. Emulating their approach is not at all a bad idea, if you found it effective, but don't be surprised if some things require a different point of view. Every student comes with a different background/experience so you have to be ready to try a different tack if what you've said a few times doesn't sink in. In our educational psychology classes in college (when I was a music ed. major), one thing they drummed into us is that we need to find the approach that works for the individual student - and if the student is not getting it, it says more about how we have taught than it says about the student's receptivity (or denseness). So be ready to ad-lib if the approach you are familiar with doesn't seem to be very effective. This process can be fun for the teacher, believe it or not. Some of this is bound to be trial and error, and when you do find something that causes the little light bulb to switch on, you'll feel really gratified, and you will never forget it, so it becomes a new trick in your bag.

My own piano professor in college used to tell us that his job was to put himself out of a job - in other words to get us to stand back and analytically view piano learning and piano practice in such a way that we could for the most part teach ourselves. I'm betting your teachers, whether they articulated this or not, probably prepared you in much the same way, so you already have good skills to help your new student to learn.

SantaFe_Player
Heels down, and tickle the bit.
#952340 10/16/08 05:39 PM
C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
Dino, I just clicked on your you tube link and watched your performance of the Prokofiev. You are a very gifted individual and I am sure that you have an enormous amount to give as a teacher. thumb

At the age of 18 I think one of the hardest things you will have to deal with is keeping the relationship professional and business like. Don't take that the wrong way. What I mean is that commanding respect as a teacher can be difficult at a young age. If your student is a similar age, well.......you know what I mean!

I am sure you will find teaching a very rewarding experience. You are a fine performer but it is always worth having another string to your bow. Let us know how the first lesson goes!

Pianist and piano teacher.
#952341 10/26/08 10:08 AM
One of the things you never do as a teacher is panic and freak out. Anytime you do this in front of the student it makes more unconfidence in them.

One thing to remember is this student doesn't know anything, or just a little, and they are counting on you to teach them. Just because they don't get it right away doesn't mean that you are a horrible teacher or that you don't know how to teach, it means that you now have your first challenge...the challenge of how to teach X. With my first student not understanding how to follow a steady beat I went out on a limb to help her and she eventually got it. I used a bouncing pencil on her page clapped with her in songs, marched her songs around the room saying the clapping the words. She did get it and I felt amazing!

You are a great player, and that is why she/he wants to take lessons from you. So what I would do is relax, just try it out, and if it works out for you then try another student!

Let me know how it goes smile

I teach not for business, but for opportunity to give another child the love for music.
#952342 10/26/08 03:33 PM
Oh my gosh, that song you played is freakin amazing. Maybe when I am done at Shenandoah Univerity I can play that!!

I teach not for business, but for opportunity to give another child the love for music.
#952343 10/26/08 08:52 PM
Don't, on the first day of lessons with an adult student, ask them if they have a learning disability.

It hurt my feelings and for a moment I thought... ...something really scary.

Now that I think of it, I tried as hard as I was able to prove to her I was competant.

In fact, you should do this very thing.

=====================
nil volentibus arduum
=====================
#952344 10/27/08 08:36 AM
S
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
S
Dino, I think that this opportunity to teach is a great prospect for you.

The very fact that you have the concerns you've shared indicates to me that you can be a thoughtful, caring and conscientious instructor. It would be worrisome if you didn't approach such a responsibility with the seriousness that you do.

I'm curious, though, about the person in question's background and current stage of piano achievement. I suspect that the nuts-and-bolts elements of teaching would be different at different stages; the experience of working with beginners must be vastly different to the kind of coaching and mentoring that you would provide to another advanced pianist.

I mention this because I don't know how you see yourself in the role of teacher, and want to encourage you to think about it—and how the demands placed on you (and the kind of satisfaction you receive) may differ depending on the proficiency of the students you work with.

Steven

#952345 11/11/08 03:49 PM
M
M
Dino,
How goes things with your student? Have you gotten any more? Let us know if you have any questions or problems. We're here to help! laugh

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
#952346 11/11/08 04:29 PM
B
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
dinoimeri,

All 12 of your videos are incredible!

I have no doubt as to your abilities to communicate piano music and that would definitely include piano teaching at what ever level you would choose.

Are you in piano study at a university or with a master teacher? Are you performing regularly? In competitions? What are your plans for your future? What is it like to be you, a young musician of the world, in your own country at this time in history.

Forgive so many questions, but you have talent!

Best wishes to you!

Betty

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,193
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission