2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
72 members (amc252, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, 14 invisible), 1,987 guests, and 317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#952120 12/29/05 04:28 PM
8ude Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
I posted this in the pianist corner, but figured there would be some good input in this forum as well. Any comments are welcome... Thanks.

http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/2/10216.html

What you are is an accident of birth. What I am, I am through my own efforts. There have been a thousand princes and there will be a thousand more. There is one Beethoven.
#952121 01/03/06 05:30 PM
H
H
First of all I want to say that Lev Vlassenko is a fantastic piano professor.
About you teaching. Why not try it! I think you have enough experience to teach people who just like to play for hobby or little girls who start. I think it will be no problem at all for you!

#952122 01/05/06 02:46 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
If you have the time then,

By all means go for it!!!!!

Here are some articles on getting started as a private piano teacher. It's a lot of information that I learned by trial and error especially writing an effective studio policy (you'd be suprised how many parents when one tries to be "Mr. Nice guy" when it comes to cancellations just call at the last minute for anything and everything under the sun or don't show up. One needs an effective policy to keep parents/and or students accountable):

Starting a Private Teaching Studio

Preparing an Effective Studio Policy

Planning a Career in Music Teaching

For more helpful articles on teaching go to:
More teaching articles

#952123 01/05/06 11:48 AM
8ude Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Thanks for the links - I look forward to going through them. I could use tips like this!

What you are is an accident of birth. What I am, I am through my own efforts. There have been a thousand princes and there will be a thousand more. There is one Beethoven.
#952124 01/05/06 12:27 PM
8ude

i just took a quick glance at Sarabande's link. I wanted to say that the field of music education is very diverse. Educators will criticize certain methods and old (familiar) battles emerge between the people who use one or the other. In this case it looks like Bastien and Alfred get bashed.

Do your homework if you decide to use a method since there is no perfect way to teach, no cookie cutter approach that works for everyone. Each student will challenge you in their own unique way. That is why teaching is so much fun and ultimately rewarding.

If you want to know the rationale behind methods like Bastien/Alfred that teach using "hand positions", go ahead and ask questions.

Hope this helps

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." Groucho Marx
#952125 01/05/06 03:52 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Just a quick note for anyone reading the thread that the articles I provided links for have much, much more valuable information for teaching and for teachers getting started than merely information about what methods to use. The portions of the articles that cover methods are just a small, small fraction of the myriads of helpful information for teachers in the articles. Piano World has the link to the site (Piano Education Page) on Piano World's list of links to other sites. If there is a question about the source of the articles one can read the history of the site they came from: The Piano Education Page - Ten Years On

As far as methods, I have used Alfred's the past 8 years and Bastein some and looked over a lot of other methods at the music stores. As there is no perfect method, there are advantages and disadvantages to each. I see a lot of advantages in Alfred's, for example, but some disadvantages as well. I wouldn't bash any particular method to the point of telling a teacher not to use it but only make them aware of some of the "pitfalls" so that one can still use the method effectively by compensating. After one gets some experience with a method one begins to figure out what "problem" areas the method has and can use your own knowledge to compensate. That's the wonderful thing about this forum is that you can ask teachers here that have experience using different methods for advice on most effectively teaching from whatever method you choose. Whatever the drawbacks of these methods, I have gotten some good tips from reading about what others on the forum do in teaching from these that make them work effectively. The biggest thing to think about in choosing a method is choosing those that you feel most comfortable with teaching from and that work well with your students. I know teachers that use a combination from various methods and don't necessarily adhere to the same method for every student. A person can teach from you're own knowledge without a method as well. There are advantages and disadvantages associated with teaching from a method.

The best thing is you have this wonderful forum to ask questions as you go.

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission