2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
64 members (Animisha, Barly, bobrunyan, brennbaer, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, 8 invisible), 1,795 guests, and 315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
OP Offline
Is it common for piano teachers to teach elements of composing? And if so, at what student age? And how is it taught? Do some teachers specialize in this?

I've been thinking about how best to support my daughter's interest. She's been taking piano lessons for 3 years. She rarely practices her assingnments for longer than 10 or 15 min per day. (She is quick to memorize and has a great ear, so the lack of practicing has not hurt her as much as it might have otherwise.)

But she plays her own compositions, improvises, and plays pop songs by ear, often for an hour or more per day. She is able to play any melody by ear without hunting around for the right notes, and she usually makes up the harmony as well. For what it's worth, she also has perfect (absolute) pitch.

She often comes home from school with a piece of scrap paper on which she wrote the notes of a piece that she made up (without a piano to try it out on), with both melody and harmony already worked out. But "worked out" is not the way to say it. I want to say "visualized", but that's not right either. The thing is, she heard the whole thing in her mind, sketched it on paper, and then came home and played it. Of course, she also often comes up with fragments, that she plays around with, and occasionally adds to.

So I've seen the blossoming of her creativity, and I want to support it. That may mean doing nothing. Or it may mean finding an additional teacher to supplement what her regular teacher does. Or? Is there anything else I can do?

Thanks,
Frances

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I see no problem in teaching composition to young kids, expecially if they have interest in composition and already shown a predispotion to the creation of their own music. I also don't think, from experience, that composition is so much more complex that standard piano concepts kids are already asked to learn and memorize.

There are already young kids there composing.
Ariel Lanyi and Kit Armstrong come to mind as, younger than 10 year old composers with a thorough knowledge in harmony and orchestration.

G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
I don't see why not, if the child is ready.

I do think a child who is ready so early may be a bit unusual. I would like to hear from teachers who have personal experience doing this.

My concern would be much the same as with older people. I would want them to have enough skills developed, enough "fluency", to be able to turn to themselves for ideas. I began to compose when I was older, and I wish now that someone had started me earlier. I think I was ready.

K
K
have you considered taking her to a conservatory? you will find many kids like her at one.

M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
I teach all my students to compose. For those who aren't yet good at reading music, I work more on improvisation with them. Currently, I have my beginner students composing a canon. The older/more experienced students are working on a theme and variations. If her piano teacher is not qualified to help her with this, then find a teacher who can (as a supplement to her regular piano lessons). Chances are, the teacher just doesn't have an idea that she is doing this.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
The question would be "How would you teach composition to an 8 year old?" without hurting a childs creativity.

It sounds to me that it certainly would not hurt to find the right teacher that would help nurture your daughter's gift.

I do have some mixed feelings when it comes to "learning" composition. If she is already composing, well then, what more do you want? Especially at this age? Are her compositions not written down correctly and that is what you would like her to learn to do? Just curious.

If this is the case, can't her piano teacher help her with this? Have you asked her piano teacher what he/she thinks?

Private Piano Teacher,
member MTNA and Piano Basics Foundation
Absolutely! Although I primarily teach adults how to improvise and compose, I see no reason why children can't pen their own melodies.

The trick is to work with them and their own natural talents. I actually have a few videos on YouTube that shows how to compose an 8-bar phrase and how to compose a theme & variations. You can find these at http://www.youtube.com/user/quiescencemusic

---------------------------
Play New Age Piano
http://www.quiescencemusic.com

S
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
S
Originally posted by Kimold:
you daughter sounds exactly like my 9 y.o son, and i am so glad i enrolled him at a music conservatory two years ago....
Kimold,

You started three threads here this year to discuss your son and your frustrations in dealing with his musical talent—including choosing a suitable teacher. Nowhere did you mention that he was already studying at a conservatory.

A lot of people spent time and energy giving you counseling and advice. Some of us were skeptical at the way you dodged specific questions that were put to you and wondered whether your concerns were genuine or if you were just seeking attention as the boastful parent of a gifted "musical prodigy" child with an "artistic temperament" whose lack of discipline was "driving you crazy." Then you disappeared.

And you're back again with a different story with respect to one highly significant detail. What are people supposed to think now?

Steven

L
L
Bring on the young composers of tomorrow, I say! smile

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Frances -

Not all piano teachers can teach composition. If your current teacher has done all he or she can, it'll be worth it to find a dedicated composition teacher. Expect a teacher to impart basics of notation, theory, forms (such as ABA form, rondo form, rudiments of sonata form), types of compositions (various dances, etc.), and shorthand. If your current teacher cannot do this, definitely find a dedicated composition teacher.

I've never taken composition because I'm terrible at it, but if I were hunting for a composition teacher, I'd look for someone who could turn a critical eye to the work, teach harmony from the ground up, teach figured bass and chord analysis, style, history, and advanced forms.

Best of luck!

Gary -

I currently have a 10 year old student who likes to make up songs. I've taken what she's imagined, and helped her shape it into three pieces she can be proud of. I don't see why young kids should stay away from composition. It's only a short way from taking dictation to improve note recognition, to dictating melodies, to dictating melodies that the student makes up himself. If only my teachers had time to devote to composition, when I was young!

Pianist and teacher with a 5'8" Baldwin R and Clavi CLP-230 at home.

New website up: http://www.studioplumpiano.com. Also on Twitter @QQitsMina
G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
Originally posted by Minaku:
Gary -

I currently have a 10 year old student who likes to make up songs. I've taken what she's imagined, and helped her shape it into three pieces she can be proud of. I don't see why young kids should stay away from composition. It's only a short way from taking dictation to improve note recognition, to dictating melodies, to dictating melodies that the student makes up himself. If only my teachers had time to devote to composition, when I was young!
My only problem is that I had a student a year ago who wanted to write his own music, but I got an avalanche of questions about how to do it that ended up turning our classes into ONLY composing.

I actually enjoyed it, but he was missing a lot of structure that I wanted him to have, and then he stopped because of "no time". He was another person who had to put so much of his energy into keep a high grade point average that he had no time left, which again is why I dislike our American school system so much.

Originally posted by Gary D.:
My only problem is that I had a student a year ago who wanted to write his own music, but I got an avalanche of questions about how to do it that ended up turning our classes into ONLY composing.
That's why if you can afford it get a dedicated composition teacher.

P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
Originally posted by Minaku:
Frances -

Not all piano teachers can teach composition. If your current teacher has done all he or she can, it'll be worth it to find a dedicated composition teacher. Expect a teacher to impart basics of notation, theory, forms (such as ABA form, rondo form, rudiments of sonata form), types of compositions (various dances, etc.), and shorthand. If your current teacher cannot do this, definitely find a dedicated composition teacher.

Minaku,

I assume the eight year old would have to have an analytic and mature mind to be able to enjoy this type of instruction and she indeed may have, I think Francis (the mom) would be able to say.

But for most 8 year olds that are composing on their own, they may find this type of instruction a turn-off to composing, although it could be applied, but it would have to be done in a creative way, to not stifle their natural abilities.

I'm saying this as a "sounding board" for myself on how I would like to teach composition.

Private Piano Teacher,
member MTNA and Piano Basics Foundation
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by pianobuff:
The question would be "How would you teach composition to an 8 year old?" without hurting a childs creativity.

It sounds to me that it certainly would not hurt to find the right teacher that would help nurture your daughter's gift.

I do have some mixed feelings when it comes to "learning" composition. If she is already composing, well then, what more do you want? Especially at this age? Are her compositions not written down correctly and that is what you would like her to learn to do? Just curious.

In the conservatory, composing students of every age, have from time to time lamented the fact that their teachers, instead of teaching them the tools to compose what they already have in their mind, attempt to teach them "what" to compose, with not so subtle preferences toward certain sounds and styles.

But there's no reason for composition to hurt or limit someone creativity. You should not be learning "what" to compose, but how to better "express" what have you already "composed" in your mind.

In other words it's like providing a writing program and a printer to a kid who loves to write stories. You're leaving his personal creativity untouched, just giving him the tools to concretize it.

N
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
N
Funny, I feel like the older version of your son (only I am girl wink ) ... Lately I have found myself improving a lot with chord progressions and melodies in the right, I would play around with certain themes and make variations then add ornaments.

I love doing it but I am trying to hold off it as I find myself spending 1.5 hours at the piano just improvising ... that will be all my practice time gone frown .

Sometimes I will scribble down my themes and variations ...

I am trying to concerntrate but I always have the tendency to improvise it's so distracting!

M
M
Gary,
That's when you ask for more time in lessons so you can help the student with both piano and composition. Then you can dedicate the last 15 minutes or half hour to just composition.

pianobuff,
You are correct in that the teacher will have to know how to teach composition in a way that will continue to make it fun while encouraging the student to progress. Sometimes taking lessons from a composition teacher can be too serious, but really it all depends on the teacher.

Rebekah,
Your mind is screaming for this freedom probably because of the stress you've been under for the upcoming (?) exam. Try recording yourself as you improvise, and then you can come back later when you have more time to write down the good ideas. smile

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
G
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
G
I would not do anything. It sounds like
she's doing just fine on her own right now.
In any case, it would be difficult to
find a composition teacher. You might
have to go to a university instructor,
and such a teacher would in all likelihood
teach her in the most unimaginative,
academic fashion, which would take all
the fun out of composing and quickly
destroy her talent. She doesn't practice
her piano lesson assignments much now--
doesn't need to with the kind of musical gifts
she has. Do you suppose she'll spend hrs.
doing boring composition drills assigned
by a composition instructor?

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Gyro, as I said yonger kids who compose or study composition exist. Some of them have even their music for sale. So this means that piano teachers who also teach composition do exist. In fact a previous teacher of mine had a degree in both piano and composition and had a creative and fun approach to both, not just with younger children, but everyone. His theory was that you can't learn art without having fun in the process. Yes, working hard but with fun and joy.

G
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
G
Also, there is the danger with a teacher
who takes on a largely self-taught prodigy,
that the very first thing he'll do is
to put the student in his place--give him
an inferiority complex right off the bat so
he'll know who's boss--by saying that
his stuff is childish, and unschooled,
and not up to accepted academic standards.
This can create an inferiority complex
in the student from which he never
recovers. This is how so many prodigies
are destroyed by teachers.

Back in the dark ages when I was nine, my first teacher used the Pace method. Composition was an essential element. Composition seems like a sensible extension of theory. Why not?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission