2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
30 registered members (AZNpiano, evolution42, ChatNoir, chopinetto, Greta99, Herq, 8 invisible), 282 guests, and 394 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Help - my left hand pinky sticks out when practicing, etc. #950392 05/11/08 12:41 PM
Cyborg Offline OP
OP Offline
I've been taking lessons for about 18 months and I have a problem with my left hand pinky finger (#5) sticking out when I practice, etc. when not in use. When I first started taking piano lessons I asked my first teacher what she thought about it and she believed it was because my finger muscles weren't developed and it would improve with time. Time went on and it hasn't improved as far as I can tell. I notice it every now when I look at my hands and I can see my finger sticking out. I asked my current teacher about and she didn't appear to be too concerned about it and told me not to worry about it.

I guess it irritates me mentally more than anything. Is there anything wrong with my finger sticking out? I figure it's improper technique and would prefer to correct it if possible. Are there any exercises etc. that I could do to correct this? Any other advice?

Thanks!

I'm a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it.
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Help - my left hand pinky sticks out when practicing, etc. #950393 05/11/08 12:57 PM
keyboardklutz Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Does it always stick out?

Re: Help - my left hand pinky sticks out when practicing, etc. #950394 05/11/08 03:15 PM
SAMoore Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Oh I know this problem very well. My teacher has me do exercises very slowly relaxing the hand between notes or groups of notes and it really helps. During these exercises he is reminds me to not 'prepare' the finger for the next note but to approach it in isolation. It's difficult to play that slowly sometimes but it does work.

It's the journey not the destination..
[Linked Image]
Re: Help - my left hand pinky sticks out when practicing, etc. #950395 05/11/08 08:25 PM
Cyborg Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally posted by keyboardklutz:
Does it always stick out?
Most of the time it does stick out.

I'm a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it.
Re: Help - my left hand pinky sticks out when practicing, etc. #950396 05/12/08 01:29 AM
keyboardklutz Offline
Home boy's advice is good. I also teach all my students to relax between every note. Freeze in the middle of playing. Are you perfectly at rest? You should be.

Re: Help - my left hand pinky sticks out when practicing, etc. #950397 05/12/08 01:57 AM
mcsmdm Offline
maybe it's psychological... just relax and feel every song you play on your piano......if you always think that your #5 left finger would stick everytime you play the piano...hmmm it would stick for the rest of your life! well........... a powder might help.

Re: Help - my left hand pinky sticks out when practicing, etc. #950398 05/12/08 09:43 AM
M
Morodiene Offline
M
I second I'm playing better at home now's advice. Try doing a 5 finger pattern in C major, playing only one note at a time with a long pause in between. During each pause, do whatever it takes or however long it takes to relax that pinky while holding down that first note. Then do the same with the 2nd. Gradually, you should be able to lessen the amount of time in between notes while maintaining the relaxed pinky. If you ever find the pinky starting to stick out again, take it slower. It may take some time, because you have this muscle memory so ingrained in your playing, but after some time and concentration, you will be able to eliminate it. You may need to do this same process with any songs you're working on as well.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: Help - my left hand pinky sticks out when practicing, etc. #950399 05/12/08 10:13 AM
knotty Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Cyborg,

Check out this thread,
http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?/topic/37/1166.html

consider investing in Kenny's Effortless Mastery. It's pure pleasure to read.

Re: Help - my left hand pinky sticks out when practicing, etc. #950400 05/13/08 06:30 AM
Sal_ Offline
I've noticed that my students tend to lift the fingers they're not using when their hand is tilted. For instance, if you turn your right hand about 45 degrees clockwise and try playing, fingers 1, 2, and even 3 will naturally lift when playing 4 and 5 (since, at such an angle you're forced to play more on the side of the finger rather than the tip.) Perhaps your left hand is angled a little towards the thumb while you play.

Re: Help - my left hand pinky sticks out when practicing, etc. #950401 05/13/08 06:44 AM
Jamie147 Offline
When I play with my left hand I make a concious effort to claw my fingers as if I holding a tennis ball and move them only as much as is needed. Before they were all over the place but are now slowly improving.

We are the melodies and the notes of your opus. We are the music of your life.
Re: Help - my left hand pinky sticks out when practicing, etc. #950402 05/13/08 06:49 AM
keyboardklutz Offline
Originally posted by Jamie147:
When I play with my left hand I make a concious effort to claw my fingers as if I holding a tennis ball and move them only as much as is needed. Before they were all over the place but are now slowly improving.
Do not 'hold' the claw. Make sure between every note you allow you hand to return to its natural shape.

Re: Help - my left hand pinky sticks out when practicing, etc. #950403 05/13/08 07:03 AM
V
virtuoso_18 Offline
V
My 5th finger moves awkwardly too when playing fast passage runs, specially the ones that include 3rd and 4th finger movements. I think the origin of the problem is the connection between the 4th and the 5th fingers, you can't move either of them independently. But it hasn't affected my playing and I haven't worried about it much.

Currently Working on:
Beethoven : Piano Conerto No.2
Mozart : Piano Sonata No.6
Schubert : Moment Musicax No.3
Chopin : Black Key Etude
Re: Help - my left hand pinky sticks out when practicing, etc. #950404 05/13/08 08:08 AM
keystring Offline
eek eek eek
Speechless for once. There's some powerful stuff in there.

KS

Re: Help - my left hand pinky sticks out when practicing, etc. #950405 05/13/08 12:49 PM
A
Ashdyre Offline
A
i have the same problem... with both my pinkies... they start out nice and curved... then slowly stick out... and i've been playing piano for 21 years. HOnnestly, who cares? As long as you can still play well, i disagree with people who say paying an instrument is about form and how you look. It's clearly about the sound.

Love is a friendship set to music.
Re: Help - my left hand pinky sticks out when practicing, etc. #950406 05/13/08 02:29 PM
keyboardklutz Offline
Ashdyre, beautiful hands make beautiful music. There is no other way.

Re: Help - my left hand pinky sticks out when practicing, etc. #950407 05/13/08 02:38 PM
Cyborg Offline OP
OP Offline
WOW, thanks for all of the responses!!! I definitely appreciate it.

Although I don't think that I'm too tense, I think I'm not totally relaxed either because I can type without the pinky sticking out. It seems with some work I can "fix" it.

Re: Help - my left hand pinky sticks out when practicing, etc. #950408 05/13/08 08:14 PM
Akira Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I think its tension. Step away from the piano. Now lift your hands slowly, completely relaxing. All your fingers should be limp and lifeless. Now, in that same position, extend your pinkies. I'll be willing you bet you can feel some tension. I did.

Try to relax.

Re: Help - my left hand pinky sticks out when practicing, etc. #950409 05/22/08 07:55 PM
S
SantaFe_Player Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
The pinky sticking out is almost certainly a sign of excess tension in the hand (particularly the pinky). Sure, for some playing you might still be able to get a decent sound but if you progress to the point of playing more challenging/technical things that require a bit more athleticism then this tension could easily lead to tendonitis and worse. If the student finds it is a problem then it should be addressed. The relaxation exercises everyone here has recommended are a great start.

The tension, Cyborg, could be something you are completely unaware of. My own teacher at the university needed YEARS to get the tension out of my hands - I didn't feel tense but clearly I was, based on the limitations of my agility in playing, and the ache/exhaustion after some really technical pieces. He had me work on relaxation exercises (even with Hanon) where the focus was REALLY to be a wet noodle, at the expense of accuracy. I hated for anyone to overhear my practicing for awhile becasue it was....well....inaccurate, but this was so helpful!

SantaFe_Player
Heels down, and tickle the bit.

Moderated by  Ken Knapp 

Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Musician's Hand Sanitizer available in our online store (and our Maple Street Music shop in Cornish Maine). Antibacterial, 62% ethyl alcohol. Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Tons more music related products in our online store!
(ad)
Pianoforall
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Resonance piano-Inspired by the music of Nils Frahm FREE
by newer player - 04/07/20 11:30 PM
Kurzweil PC88mx Repair Help
by wondertwins - 04/07/20 09:17 PM
What is your ranking of the piano composers?
by achoo42 - 04/07/20 08:10 PM
Roland DP603 for my 50th ...
by TheophilusCarter - 04/07/20 07:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics197,981
Posts2,942,900
Members96,529
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission