2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
62 members (AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, brennbaer, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 12 invisible), 1,867 guests, and 322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
N
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
N
I have had a number of teachers over the years. One teacher I went through used to encourage me to dig out my own repertoire. He said that "you know your ability and you know what is suited to you" ... it really taught me to research and it taught me independence as a growing musician.

Another teacher I had, used to narrow it down to 3 or 4 songs/pieces and play them for me and have me choose which ones I like.

Teachers I have now often choose or recommend specific pieces of songs for me. They tell me that they'd pick something else out if I didn't like that particular song/piece.

I'm just interested to know how much of a say teachers give to students in repertoire choice.

L
L
I think part of the extent to a teacher's knowledge, interest, and care, is devoted to observing and acknowledging the styles of music, students are 'drawn to', and then presenting that student with pieces that reflect that style...if a student is intrinsically attracted to a style of music and they flourish as a pianist when playing that style, I encourage it in future repertoire choices. Of course that student is also taught and experiences other styles/eras. But I see one aspect of my role as a teacher, as bringing out one's potential, not being mindless or controlling about repertoire.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
As a student, I would like my teacher to choose pieces that will teach me things I need to develop. That is both technically and in terms of genre. I want to stretch beyond my current tastes and what I know. My growth, and knowledge of what music entails, has to be at the heart of my teacher's choice. In fact, this is "teaching toward my interest" - that is my interest. If what I am interested in and what I am good at is at the centre of my teacher's choice, then he is in fact putting me into a box. Because I am an adult student, that box is a real possibility if I don't speak up.

L
L
I think this issue might be about timing...introducing students to various styles of music and proficiency of those styles is essential. But, however, after a period of time, maybe even years, a student may incline towards a particular style...be able to pick it up and express it almost naturally and with the utmost musicality the composer would be proud of. I find this is the place where I can really work with their potential.

N
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
N
lotuscrystal, I like the way you word it there to be choosing pieces that suit the student. I went through one horrid teacher that used to pick out Chopin and Bach ... all his students played Chopin and Bach for their exams. Added to that he didn't like Stravinsky or Shostakovitch ... so no student of his would have the two in their repertoire. I believe there is no wrong, in personal taste but think in the end he was producing clones of him.

I think also, its important to expose students with as much as possible in their learning stages. The teacher I had that used to have me pick my own repertoire (this was for exams) allowed me to expose myself and listen to a wide range of repertoire.

In saying all of this, I wonder, what happens when a student is interested in a particular style, composer or a piece that you detest? Do you still teach it?

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Well, it sounds like you're using a variant of the Royal College exam system, and they have grade repertoire lists, so students should be able to pick out repertoire they like with some ease. Today, it's possible to hear most piano repertoire on youtube, so students have opportunities we didn't have as students.

But realize that the vast majority students will not, under any circumstance, sit down and methodically go the repertoire list and come up with a program. Then the teacher has two choices - take lesson time to play the repertoire for the student (which I often do, unless the level of the repertoire is such that a whole lesson would be expended with me playing) or just select a wide variety of pieces for the student.

Because it's expedient, most teachers will simply pick repertoire for students. It isn't as terrible as it sounds, because we already know the student quite well, and can obtain a pretty good fit.

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
It depends on the student. If they're opinionated and have a decent knowledge of the repertoire, then they have a lot of say.

If they don't know the literature or don't have strong opinions, then I choose.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
B
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
I have a lot of music resources, and in 38 years have used a lot of variety of music to teach. There are absolutely dazzling sources out there and certain composers come to the forefront, not only do I enjoy teaching these, but the obscure pieces, a little harder to find, get my full attention.

I always present a piece to the student as us finding out what the composer had to say, what puzzles and tricks are in the piece, and what do we like about the piece and the composer. I try to help them get inside the bones of the piece, life at the time, a tidbit here and there to consider.

No piece is just played through, learned, and played back. I try to fit discovery and a little adventure into the piece. I try to encourage them to do the same as a regular habit so they will 'identify' more of what they need to do to get the character of the piece.

I use "imagination" to get in character: Like "How do you feel really dressed up in a tuxedo?" "How do you feel in comfy clothes?" How do you feel with your hands in your pockets?"
How do you feel when your shoes are too tight?"

Silly to some, but many kids with vivid imaginations "buy" these "prompts" and quickly assume a fitting "pose" or "image". The magic of it is that the playing of the piece conforms to the composers intent.

So, I think I have a lot of music that is too good to miss, and I'm excited so share it with my students.

Should they have requests, I try to include them into the "framework" at the appropriate time, but I must say most of what is requested comes from the "pop" domain...or it's Fuer Elise, or "Canon in D".

For some reason, most of my students have really taken to the sound of A minor, and there is a lot of literature there in sad/happy and slow/fast and short/long pieces. I use the A minor quite a bit in Intermediate level.

In my studio, students are allowed to "say" anything they want provided it's not said rudely or to distract us from our purpose. That's not a "rule" that's been given, it's just the bottom line I uphold.

I'd like to think I'm approachable in music.

Betty

C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
I find it is rare for students to express much of an opinion until they reach a certain age or standard. I always try to offer choice when selecting pieces but I must admit to steering them towards my own preferences. I do believe you can't force anyone to practice a piece they really hate.

Pianist and piano teacher.
G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
Originally posted by lotuscrystal:
I think part of the extent to a teacher's knowledge, interest, and care, is devoted to observing and acknowledging the styles of music, students are 'drawn to', and then presenting that student with pieces that reflect that style...if a student is intrinsically attracted to a style of music and they flourish as a pianist when playing that style, I encourage it in future repertoire choices. Of course that student is also taught and experiences other styles/eras. But I see one aspect of my role as a teacher, as bringing out one's potential, not being mindless or controlling about repertoire.
I'm looking for something I disagree with here, but I can't find anything. My approach, I think, is exactly the same. smile

N
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
N
Originally posted by Chris H.:
I find it is rare for students to express much of an opinion until they reach a certain age or standard. I always try to offer choice when selecting pieces but I must admit to steering them towards my own preferences. I do believe you can't force anyone to practice a piece they really hate.
Well said Chris, its true that most of the time children have developing tastes and interests. Some pieces I have looked at as a student have been rejected by my teachers. One teacher I had steered me to choose a certain program that he liked, if I liked a certain piece he didn't he would say "I don't think that's musically pleasing" ...

I have a friend that had a teacher who hated Jazz. Sure, he knew one or two things about Jazz and could teach to her level (advanced) but he loathed Jazz. When she picked out a piece that she enjoyed playing he would reject it and say "I wouldn't enjoy teaching that."

What would you say to that?

L
L
Originally posted by Rebekah.L:
lotuscrystal, I like the way you word it there to be choosing pieces that suit the student. I went through one horrid teacher that used to pick out Chopin and Bach ... all his students played Chopin and Bach for their exams. Added to that he didn't like Stravinsky or Shostakovitch ... so no student of his would have the two in their repertoire. I believe there is no wrong, in personal taste but think in the end he was producing clones of him.

I think also, its important to expose students with as much as possible in their learning stages. The teacher I had that used to have me pick my own repertoire (this was for exams) allowed me to expose myself and listen to a wide range of repertoire.

In saying all of this, I wonder, what happens when a student is interested in a particular style, composer or a piece that you detest? Do you still teach it?
To be honest, I don't detest any styles or composers...I teach everything from Bach through the ages/eras, to Good Charlotte, Linkin Park, or Paramore (a recent pop band requested by students). To me, if it's music, and they wish to play it, I'm happy to teach it.

C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
Originally posted by Rebekah.L:
I have a friend that had a teacher who hated Jazz. Sure, he knew one or two things about Jazz and could teach to her level (advanced) but he loathed Jazz. When she picked out a piece that she enjoyed playing he would reject it and say "I wouldn't enjoy teaching that."

What would you say to that?
I would say that any student who shows enough initiative to select a piece and get on with learning it gets a big thumb from me.

I enjoy teaching anything that a student enjoys playing. It's much better than listening to my favorite works being butchered by someone who doesn't care for them.

Pianist and piano teacher.
L
L
Haha...well said Chris smile

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
I usually narrow down the repertoire to 2-3 pieces and let the student pick. I let good students have more options. Students who do not practice will have fewer options, or none at all.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
I would say that any student who shows enough initiative to select a piece and get on with learning it gets a big thumb from me.

I enjoy teaching anything that a student enjoys playing. It's much better than listening to my favorite works being butchered by someone who doesn't care for them.
Thumbs up from me to that Chris. It's so rewarding when students succeed at what they want to, and it teaches them something invaluable. smile

G
G
I choose all my own repetoire.

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
I agree with this. At younger ages, the child would me more concerned with just learning and practicing how to play than what is actually out there to choose from and play.

There are weird cases, for example my personal journey when young, where in Januray I would be playing a Chopin Nocturne, by February I wanted a Scriabin etude, mid-summer I wanted a Rachmaninov etude, by fall Vers La Flamme. This did not happen because my teacher was so interested in helping me discover all music, she personally loved Mozart to death. She actually discouraged my interest in Scriabin and Rachmaninov back then, completely dismotivating me. The point is though, that the repertoire I desired grew enormously due to my incessant greed to hear new music, while none of it bothered me. When I first brought up John Cage and Sorabji to my teacher, she refused to teach. I studied the beginning of Scriabin's Op 8 no. 12 and the end of Chopin's nocturne op. 48 no 1 with her, but she refused to teach me anything past that. I had no choice but to leave. The repertoire I wanted was rejected.

At that time she encouraged Chopin and Mozart, while inside I found Chopin not sufficiently curious of the instrument and Mozart too boring at the time. A teacher without a doubt cannot teach something the student hates! The student will just show a lack of interest, as in my case.
I still do believe that students who have more knowledge should choose their own repertoire, and that teachers should teach everything in music, all composers, all styles, making them much more cultured and oriented with the wide range of music that actually exists. Chopin's music is less than 1% of what actually is out there for piano. Why would I have chosen to stop there? I am glad I did not.

I think it depends on the student. With some people, the idea of having to pick out their own music is so completely unthinkable, that they really need the teacher's guidance, while for others, they will feel boxed in and frustrated if the teacher chooses all their music. It is really important, as teachers, to tailor ourselves to the student and their individual needs, not only our personal styles.

"There is a vitality, a life force, and energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action and because there is only one of you in all time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and be lost, the world will not have it." ~ Martha Graham
M
M
I usually pick pieces based on what the student is interested in in terms of types of pieces (lots of students like fast, loud pieces, especially boys) their playing skills (what they are good at, for example a clarinet student who is young and advanced for length of study who is quite small I would not assign a piece with long phrases that need to be done in one breath) reading skills, and then pick two or three pieces from each of the lists I think they will like. But there are certain standards almost every student likes, for example the Charles Peerson The Mouse in the Coal Bin in the Grade 2 book is a standard favourite of students. Yet often the pieces I pick for students not only shows off their strengths, but allows them to work on new challenges or things they've had trouble with.

Meri

Clarinet and Piano Teacher based out of Toronto, Canada.Web: http://donmillsmusicstudio.weebly.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission