2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
64 members (brennbaer, accordeur, antune, Colin Miles, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, 10 invisible), 1,824 guests, and 312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
OP Offline
S
I pickup my very first piano on Saturday 3rd April. A shiny Roland HP3.

Question is, i have already made my mind up that i'm gonna take regular lessons, but should i buy a book first so at least when i go to my first lesson i will have the basic grasp of chords and such ?

Or would that lead me to picking up bad habits ?

Basically should i have lessons from Day 1 or have a go myself for a couple of weeks ?

Thanks

Stu

P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
Have you already selected a teacher?

I had two lessons with one teacher before switching to the one I have now. Teacher 1 had my get the Bastien Adult Beginner book. Teacher 2 really didn't like Bastien and gave me Alfred instead, so I had wasted a few bucks on the Bastien book that I used very little.

I would recommend selecting a teacher as soon as you can. Of course, allow enough time to interview a few and choose one with whom you can work well.

If you want to drop a couple bucks, pick up a beginner book, and start with a C major scale or a couple chords. But be prepared for your teacher to want you to use a different book.

The longer you go it alone, the more likely you are to develop habits that will need correcting, but I can't imagine you will get in too much trouble in a week or two. I'm sure some of the teachers here will have a different opinion.

S
S
When I was looking and interviwing for a piano teacher. I bought the Alfred Basic Adult Piano book, to familiarized myself with the notes and theory or say to get ahead. I also read and takes on-line piano lesson, just do the Google search. These really help me to accelerate in my piano lessons. Luckily, my teacher is very flexible, I don't have to get another book.

Also, if your future teacher want you to use a different book. I don't think its a waste, you can always keep it as a reference.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I would trust your teacher to guide you.

Let yourself discover everything with him as a child.

You shall inherit music.

Benedict
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
If you must do something to keep yourself occupied before you meet up with your new teacher, go here http://www.practicespot.com/scaleschef/ and make yourself a scale book for free and start practicing the scales. Let me assume for a moment that you don't know anything about music.Your fingerings are: thumbs are finger 1 and your pinky is number 5. The top stave (5 lines)is your right hand and the bottom stave is for your left hand. Do right hand first and then your left for now. In the mean time try to get some recommendations for a good teacher. You might consider calling the local university to see if someone in their music department can recommend someone for you. Good luck and enjoy yourself.
Jon

"In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity." Albert Einstein
Charles Walter W190 Ebony
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I thought it was helpful to know the basics before going to the teacher. I learned where middle C was, what the notes to the keys were, the relationship between the black and white keys, and what the pedals were used for. All these I learned from library books and futzing around on my keyboard before I started my first lesson.

S
OP Offline
S
thanks guys for all your help

think i'm gonna look at a few online lessons and pick up a good book before i take delivry

Can't wait !!!!!!!!

Stu

S
S
Here are some good on-line lesson.
web page
web page

Enjoy.... smile smile

Lil

Hi, Ward,
Playing piano can make you more opportunity in addition to music enjoyment..

Find teacher in 2 weeks after you have tried on keyboard for whatever you did...
if you are adult, realy do not need too easy one
like pre-book 1 of bastin, or alike
If you are seriously decided to learn piano and willing to spend regular 1- 2 hours practice,
so pick book as: Beyer, Czerny 139 or 599,
those Alfred books do not intend to develop pianist, not even toward classic works..

good luck

P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
I found my teacher on Music Staff dot com
YMMV.

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission