2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
50 members (Bostonmoores, 20/20 Vision, Cheeeeee, Adam Reynolds, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 36251, 5 invisible), 1,315 guests, and 298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Tom--K Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
My daughter's 10 have been playing for 5 years and plays each day:

1. The Dominant-Seventh Chords and Arpeggios in all keys.

2. Major and Minor Tonic Chord Arpeggios in all keys.

3. Major and Harmonic Minor Scales and Triads in all three positions in all keys.

What else would you suggest? Thanks.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
That's too much warm up, imo. It's (its? its'?) good to play all that stuff, but not every key every day. I'd have a rotation of keys that lasts a week to 2 weeks.

Scales and arps. are important for that age / level, but too much takes away from learning actual music.

My daughter turned 10 today, and I'm taking her to Disney World in about an hour. She's played piano for less time, though.

Good luck, and hopeyou get an answer from an actual teacher. smile

Everyday my 9 yr daughter practices scales and Arpeggios, some sight reading etc. but not all keys, HS and HT. Then she can enjoy her own piece and also practice exam pieces.

She also needs more music theory in which I am going to help her to some extent from my own reading and playing.

Tom,

Wow! That sure is a lot of technic to practice everyday. I hope your daughter still enjoys practicing and that she has inspiring music as well.

All of the exercises mentioned are important, but IMO, it's too much in one day. My students practice all of those technical skills, but we cover only 3-4 keys a day. This way all the skills and keys are covered, but they don't get overloaded.

There are plenty of opportunities to find technical passages in their repertoire to drill also.

cranky woman laugh

Tom--K Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
Thanks everyone,

Funny, I wrote that post because I didn't think it was enough. She kind of goes through it in 20 mins. or so and then spends a 1/2 hour on what ever her lesson is now it's Clementi Sonata Opus 36 #1, and some choir accompaniment music right now an interesting piece in 5/4 called "Sing of the Lord's Goodness" by Ernest Sands.

She does some "old stuff" right now the Entertainer, maybe a Chopin Prelude or two, that changes every day.

She finishes up with some sight reading--something different every day. Sometimes on easier pieces I'll ask her to transpose keys (easy to easy,) which seems to work out pretty nicely.

She usually plays about an hour and 15 mins. to and hour and 1/2 every day.

She's good at her lesson, and enjoys it. I don't think she's exceptional at it, but as long as it's fun she doesn't seem to mind.

Over all though, I don't think she's particularly musical--she's not walking around the house humming tunes. Who's to say?

Thanks.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
You must be a good father so to spend so much time with your daughter.

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
Sounds like she's doing all the good, standard, warmups. If she's doing all that in all the keys in twenty minutes at age 10, it sounds like she's doing each exercise once? Has she done trill exercises, balance exercises, Dohnanyi, chromatic scales in contrary motion, etc. There are lots of books out there with good material to change it up and keep you learning and growing. Victoria Conservatory, for example, has some excellent, less traditional, technical requirements for their exams.
Good luck. Sounds like you and she are doing great to me.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
hannons are very good warm up's and strengthen fingers when done correctly. They are not the most fun thing to do, but it will help in the long run.

Hi Tom,

My daughter 9 yr (will be 10 in Dec) is also learning the Entertainer (original version). However I don't know if your daughter is doing the original version? It is rather difficult for kid hands due to finger stretching and complexity of the chords, maybe we'll have to drop some notes. Any advise?

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission