2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (36251, benkeys, Charles Cohen, 20/20 Vision, bcalvanese, booms, Bruce Sato, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 9 invisible), 1,932 guests, and 256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#939802 09/23/08 09:56 PM
D
OP Offline
D
This week I'm giving out invitations to my students for a studio recital/party the Saturday before Halloween. Since most of them are quite young, they are invited to come in costume, should they desire. I told them there would be games and prizes and snacks, and that they'd get to listen to each other play creepy Halloween music. Out of 40 students, I'm expecting about 20-25, as it's an optional event, most likely between the ages of 5 and 9.
My living room should be big enough to hold everyone (lots of small bodies).
Any suggestions as to the type of games/prizes/snacks I could offer? I want to tie in fall elements with music, but don't want it to be cheesy. (not that the kids would necessarily care...)
i'm thinking as the children arrive to have them do an activity - like making their own name tags with markers and stickers etc. so the other kids will know who they are.
also I thought it would be fun to make your own snacks, but that would get very messy in the living room, and I'm trying my best to avoid mess or frosting on the carpet.
Has anyone hosted this kind of party and have had success you'd like to share? Have you done prizes? Best costume, scarriest piece, etc? I'd love to read about people's ideas and thoughts about how to make it a memorable time, both socially and musically.
Thanks!

Full-time, independent piano instructor; church musician
MTNA, ISMTA, working towards NCTM!
#939803 09/24/08 01:20 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I think the nametag activity is a good one. I saw some creepy font alphabet stickers the other day and they would be cute on the nametags. If it were me, I'd stay away from "awards" unless everyone could win something.

This "spooky walk" games looks fun. It's like musical chairs without the running and pushing. http://www.partygameideas.com/halloween-games/spooky_walk_3.php You could even play the piano for the music.

~Stanny~

Independent Music Teacher
Certified Piano Teacher, American College of Musicians
Member: MTNA, NGPT, ASMTA, NAMTA
#939804 09/24/08 01:46 PM
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Well, voice of experience here, avoid pizza and drinks of color, like red. Red makes for nice stains and grease stains are highly probably!

I've found that you can get neat, inexpensive prizes at Michael's. They can be either/both Halloween or Autumn oriented. I usually got a basket full of them, then let students pick their own prize.

One year, I draped spider webbing over the grand, put a big spider on it, and had a number of ghoulish decorations. Other years, the theme has been more oriented to harvest festival, which I like better, since most people don't understand the connection of Halloween to All Saint's Day.

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
#939805 09/26/08 07:13 PM
D
OP Offline
D
Wow, i like some of those ideas! thanks, Stanny, for that website - lots of good things there. And JvdB, i like the idea of draping spider web over the grand. i can just imagine the kids' reactions! they'll love it!

Full-time, independent piano instructor; church musician
MTNA, ISMTA, working towards NCTM!
#939806 09/27/08 12:34 AM
G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
Originally posted by DoReMi Katie:
This week I'm giving out invitations to my students for a studio recital/party the Saturday before Halloween.
My young students (and even some not quite so young) love playing "spooky music".

I think your students will have a wonderful time at this recital!

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission