Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
Mr. PianoWorld - the full interview
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
83 registered members (bhmpower, Bluegrassdog, ando, anotherscott, AnnInMiami, Agent88, 20 invisible), 1,428 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Anyone teach Music for young children? #939055
11/14/07 10:07 AM
11/14/07 10:07 AM
Canada
Dramaqueen Offline OP
Dramaqueen  Offline OP

Canada
During my lesson yesterday I was talking with my teacher about my frustration with my job and desire to do something else. Knowing that I am not qualified to teach private lessons yet and won't be for a few years left me feeling frustrated. As I said to her, there is no way I can work this job for 3 or more years. I work every Fri and Sat night and spend little time with family. I am not able to take days off and it makes it very hard when there are functions that I am suppose to attend.

That said...
She suggested to me to look into MYC. I did and it looks really good. I am qualified to teach (have gr 8 RCM and gr 2 Rudiments plus ran a daycare in my home for 10 years, teaching K prep)

She did say that she does not always recommend this program because for qualified teachers this program can be limiting but for my case it would be a good way to start teaching.

There are no MYC teachers in my town and the closest ones are 25 min. away. I have been approached to teach children (3 and 4 year olds) because when daycare parents found out I play/take lessons they figured I could teach too.

Sorry if I'm rambling a bit...
So my question/s is, Do any of you teach MYC or do you have any experience with it, know of anyone who has taken or taught it? and do you have any opinions on the program?

Thanks!

Currently preparing for Grade 9 RCM
New private piano teacher
Kindermusik Educator
Just bought: Kawai GM-10k
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Anyone teach Music for young children? #939056
11/14/07 10:24 AM
11/14/07 10:24 AM
Boynton Beach, FL
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Morodiene  Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Boynton Beach, FL
I do not, but I do teach Kindermusik, and so I also work with the very young children. I really don't know hte difference between MYC and Kindermusik, but I can tell you that working with the very young has really added a new dimension to my private instruction. It has really helped me to think outside the box, and to use more movement associated with my teaching.

If it is set up similar to Kindermusik, you will own your own business. This can be difficult to start up, as there will be cost upfront to rent space, buy instruments and materials, and do advertising. MYC shoudl help you with some pointers, but really it will be up to you and your market as to the success of it. Like any business, it takes time to get established. For my Kindermusik program, I took over at the local music conservatory for another teacher, so I did not have to pay for anything. They covered the cost of certification, materials, and advertising. Still, since I was a new teacher, there was a significant drop in enrollment when I took over. Now that I've been teaching two years, it is starting to grow a bit more.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: Anyone teach Music for young children? #939057
11/14/07 10:50 AM
11/14/07 10:50 AM
Alberta
Mistaya Offline
Mistaya  Offline

Alberta
My daughter took a year of MYC. It was a wonderful program - she especially enjoyed the rhythm ensemble work and I think this was very valuable. She continued onto 'traditional' lessons and is a beautiful pianist. The instructor didn't continue for very long. She had young children of her own and there was a lot of prep time required. I'm not sure how great the local demand was because it is a program, at least the earlier levels, where the parent is there, participating with the child. Practice at home also involves the parent (about 15 min a day from what I remember). So, this did not appeal to parents who could not (or didn't want to) invest some time. Pedagogically, it was a thorough, gentle and fun way to start learning about music.

My son started out with a Kodaly program, and that served him well too. I think any of these programs that combine solfege, rhythm, movement and a bit of theory give kids a wonderful foundation. I remember the MYC program being a lot of fun.

best of luck,
Caroline

Re: Anyone teach Music for young children? #939058
11/14/07 11:12 AM
11/14/07 11:12 AM
California
D
dumdumdiddle Offline
1000 Post Club Member
dumdumdiddle  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
D

California
MYC is one of a very small handful of group piano programs available. Harmony Road and Yamaha are others. My understanding is that the Yamaha program was the 'original' group piano method (it's been around for 30+ years) and that the others are in a sense offshoots of it. They are similar in that they share the same philosophy of 'ear before eye'. Yamaha and Harmony Road use solfege as their musical language, MYC uses traditional letter names (and a little solfege, a la moveable 'do'). MYC is very popular in Canada.

What I like about these three programs (in comparison to programs like Music Together, KM, Musikgarten, and others for the 2-4 year old range) is that they are piano-based even from an early age. Each child and parent sits at a keyboard or digital piano. Keyboard activities include 'bouncing on the black keys' then white keys, making 'birdie sounds' and 'elephant sounds', etc.... By the time the kids are 4 1/2 and ready for the group piano program they already have a nice introduction to the piano and can even identify some of the notes on the piano and the staff.

You can check out the other group piano programs here:

www.harmonyroadmusic.com

www.yamaha.com

Music School Owner
Early Childhood Music Teacher/Group Piano Teacher/Private Piano Teacher
Member of MTAC and Guild
Re: Anyone teach Music for young children? #939059
11/18/07 10:54 PM
11/18/07 10:54 PM
Cape Breton
caperflutist Offline
caperflutist  Offline

Cape Breton
I used to teach MYC until this september. You can email me if you hav eany questions

jayneolson@ns.sympatico.ca

Ya lyublyu ruskuyu muzyku
Re: Anyone teach Music for young children? #939060
11/19/07 12:45 PM
11/19/07 12:45 PM
Massachusetts
Guy Offline
Guy  Offline

Massachusetts
My kids were in a program called Music Together, which I thought was great (I'm a musician and loved the education theory behind the method).

At one point, our MT teacher took a medical leave, and we stumbled upon a Boston-area piano class which starts for 3-1/2 year olds. It is called "Keys For Kids" and the creator of the program, Inga Magid, also licenses out the method. You can find her website via a google search.

My kids, now 9 and 11, both in private piano lessons (and the older one is now studying saxophone), are very musical kids. I'm very happen with the solid training they got in these early childhood programs.

Re: Anyone teach Music for young children? #939061
11/23/07 01:10 AM
11/23/07 01:10 AM
Canadda
L
lunchbucket Offline
lunchbucket  Offline
L

Canadda
I taught Music for Young Children. It can be a good program.

The problem with music programs is that they're all franchises, and the quality of the musical education relies heavily on the teacher and their ability, and not so much on the material. In the wrong hands, a lot of the MYC stuff can be a disaster. But I know that there are Kindermusik teachers in my area doing a bad job, as well.

By joining MYC and going to their seminar, you will not learn how to teach children music. And in your first year of teaching, you will not have many students, and you will be spending a lot of money on equipment and whatnot. Most teachers of this program, at least, only last a year.

Also, a lot of people who sign up for this program are the kind who are signing with you because they saw your name on the internet and not because they saw you teaching. Some of the parents are so involved and overbearing, and they really put a negative vibe on the class for their child. I realize that you end up with these kinds of situations with private kids as well, but it doesn't seem to happen nearly as often.

On top of all of this, as with any program, once you've paid your membership fees and expenses, you have to pay fees per child registered.

If you really want to be a good piano teacher, sit in on your own piano teacher's lessons, offer free lessons to a relative or friend, and once you feel comfortable, build up your own studio unassociated with any program or company. If you have daycare experience, do group lessons with just the little kids and follow a really simple slow-moving book. (like the Music Tree Primer- that's my favourite!) Research your own music games on the internet and have fun.

Re: Anyone teach Music for young children? #939062
11/23/07 01:03 PM
11/23/07 01:03 PM
California
D
dumdumdiddle Offline
1000 Post Club Member
dumdumdiddle  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
D

California
On top of all of this, as with any program, once you've paid your membership fees and expenses, you have to pay fees per child registered.
I know this is true with some programs. Yamaha used to charge a monthly royalty for each student enrolled. Harmony Road does not. There is a very small franchise fee and the initial training cost (training runs about $300 for a 3-day session), and then the cost of the curriculum. I've found that they keep their materials costs for teachers at a very reasonable level so that when you mark up to cover shipping and expenses it's still reasonable for the parent. Other programs make their money on the teachers by charging full retail for all supplies. Then when teachers try to recoup their costs parents balk at the already high prices.

Music School Owner
Early Childhood Music Teacher/Group Piano Teacher/Private Piano Teacher
Member of MTAC and Guild

Moderated by  Ken Knapp 

(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Any leveled Jazz series you can recommend?
by Bluegrassdog. 10/21/18 10:04 PM
What is the best way to learn improvisation?
by saratogaUSA. 10/21/18 05:07 PM
Apps
by Markuska. 10/21/18 04:25 PM
Classical Improvisation Websites?
by Horbie Peekler. 10/21/18 03:25 PM
Is playing by ear important
by Wayne2467. 10/21/18 02:59 PM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics187,919
Posts2,754,517
Members91,306
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission