2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
54 members (Aylin, brdwyguy, bcalvanese, accordeur, 36251, Bostonmoores, 20/20 Vision, Adam Reynolds, 1200s, akse0435, 6 invisible), 1,326 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10
B
Bex Offline
B
We've probably all been told that we're talented. Mostly by folks who don't know that much about music, but like to hear us play. Not that there's anything wrong with that. :-)

And it doesn't really matter, anyway. I practice daily nonetheless, and I'm making progress.

On the piano stand:
Widmung
Partita in c minor
Jardins sous la pluie
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by keyboardklutz:
I think it's the Eastern European thing of sorting wheat from chaff at the age of 5 that Larisa mentions -
My Russian friend told me it wasn't worth my taking the piano back up a few years ago. (I'd had about 12 years of lessons growing up - they were very bad lessons but that's another story). She was horrified that I was treaching myself Chopin. When I finally got up the nerve to let her listen to my recording of 10/12 as bad as it is, she was perceptive enough to recognize it as a work in progress and actually cried and smiled as she listened. She hugged me and told me to keep working. That meant a lot. She was a "failed" violinist. She practiced "at least four hours a day" for eight years as a kid and then apparently didn't make the cut. She went on to be a big time scientist, an MD with two Phd's but the violin business still hurt I think. She never touched a violin again. I think that's very sad. Think how much she lost. Russia may well have lost something as well.

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
I think that this Russian system is responsible for more pain and grief than any "blind encouragement" ever could be. So many people who love music, who could be fairly decent musicians, were just abruptly told "You have no talent", "You failed", or whatever - and that was that. How could anyone do that to someone's soul?

Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission